'Your Hub has been identified as Overly Promotional' - Please help

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (13 posts)
  1. Paul Maplesden profile image76
    Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years ago

Recently, I've had a few automated messages from HubPages saying that my hubs are overly promotional. I must admit, this has left me a little baffled.

I try to write tightly themed hubs, providing good, relevant information to readers, linking to mine and other's related hubs.

I'd be very grateful to understand if others have run into this problem and how they sorted it out. My articles certainly aren't *intended* to be overly promotional, I'd just be grateful to know what I can do to resolve the issue.

The subjects of my hubs that have been flagged are:

- Blog monetization
    - Getting feedback from customers
    - Business podcasts
    - Google Analytics
    - Comparing Outliner tools

I don't know if it';s my links to other hubs, the Amazon related content or something else that's a problem, but as I've said I've tried to make sure it's all related.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

Paul.

1. Stina Caxe profile image81
      Stina Caxeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I must need new glasses, for a moment I thought that said "overly emotional"

I would be in trouble if there was a flag for that. 

A while back I got the same type of message.  I think mine was due to the amount of Amazon ad's I had on there.  I was reviewing some products and I had ads for all of them listed.  I think I just cut those back a little and it was fine.

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The "overly promotional" rule is quite specific.  It can refer to a couple of things.

1.  You have more than two links to the same website in a single Hub.  Links to other Hubs, Flickr and Wikipedia are exempt from that limit.

2.  Your Hub reads more like a press release for a product or service, than an informational article.

Did you have more than two links to your own site in a Hub, perhaps to different pages?

1. MelissaBarrett profile image57
        MelissaBarrettposted 11 years agoin reply to this

What she said...

Marisa correct me if I'm wrong but couldn't all hubs linking to a common page also be considered overly-promotional?

1. relache profile image73
          relacheposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes it can.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85

If you go and look in the Learning Center, you'll see that rule has been removed.  It was removed last year, while Jason was still here.  It wasn't announced - it came up in a forum thread, where I (like you) said it wasn't allowed, and Jason told me I was talking nonsense.   That's why it sticks in my head!

Sure enough, he was right - the rule had been quietly changed, amongst all those other changes.  The definition is now:

-   including more than 2 links to any one domain
            -   short "teasers" with links to "read more" at another site
              -  linking to sites/pages/Hubs that are unrelated to your Hub's topic
               - solely promotes a product, site, good, or service
                - including links to a page that contains largely the same content as your Hub

2. Marisa Wright profile image85

There was a forum thread months ago where I said exactly the same thing, only to have Jason tell me I was wrong - and sure enough, if you go to the Learning Center, you'll see that section of the rule has been changed.  There is nothing in the rules to say you can't have a link to the same website on every single Hub - provided, of course, that it's relevant to the content.

2. Paul Maplesden profile image76
        Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I don't think so - Do links to my own hubs on HubPages count towards that? I will go through every link and check that I don't have more than two links, but I am pretty certain that I don't.

2. Paul Maplesden profile image76

The Team at HubPages provided me with some good feedback, I was running into the following problems:

- I had a call to 'Follow me on Google+' at the bottom of my hubs, that's a no-no
    - I had a small image in the bottom right of the graphics I created with my blog URL on it
    - I had text at the bottom of my hubs near my signature block letting people know they could go to my business blog for further information

These were all identified as overly promotional and I've now gone through and removed them from my hubs, hopefully I'll get them back into being in good standing.

Thanks for your advice here folks, much appreciated.

I'm guessing it was the combination of all these factors that made it overly promotional - because I can't see how some of these would break the rules if taken one at a time.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Unless it was irrelevant to the hub, maybe.

Looking at the titles of his Hubs, they all sound reasonably related, but I suppose it depends how the moderators define it.

3. Paul Maplesden profile image76

I believe that the hubs have now been given a clean bill of health - it's been an interesting process, getting them to the right quality. I've got a better understanding now of what the pitfalls are!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)