Dropping Traffic & Black Hatters

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

Just a heads-up -

Several of us have found our hubs being copied by thieves and used for what appears to be Black Hat back-link schemes.  It also appears they are using our 'best' hubs - the ones that have the most traffic.

If you have had a sudden drop in one or more hubs, do a search by using quote marks around a random phrase in the hub (preferably one that reflects your individual writing style).  When I did that, several other sites popped up that had urls totally unrelated to my hub, but had phrases from my hub as part of the search teaser or summary for each result.  The quote marks are very important in order to find what's really going on.

In some cases, the text of the appeared when I got the link to open (often took a long while to load them).  In other cases, though, the text was entirely unrelated - so I guess they have hidden text or something.  But clearly, it is used to drive traffic to other sites.  They would hyperlink to words like "the" and other words that do not relate to specific content.  And of course, the links were used to drive traffic and get Google points for back links.

Since I am not a whiz yet at SEO, etc, (and I am by no means a whiz at Black Hat stuff), it was not easy to figure out.  A good friend here on the site helped me unravel it.  But now I know of others seeing the same problems.  I'm thinking they are targeting sites like HP that have plenty of content about a variety of topics, and they're copying our work for that purpose.

2. Gail Meyers profile image64
    Gail Meyersposted 11 years ago

I just happen to check Google for a couple of my best hubs and I was amazed at what I found a few days ago.  My original hubs do not even show up in the search results, but several entire hubs were cut and pasted, including the ads and comments.

1. sabrebIade profile image79
      sabrebIadeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Fortunately Google's Panda and Penguin updates have eliminated that.
      Wait...they didn't?

1. Gail Meyers profile image64
        Gail Meyersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Nope, they sure didn't.  I don't mind someone adding a link or copying smaller excerpts and integrating it into their own posting, but in this case the entire hubs (including ads and comments) are cut and pasted onto blogs.  The hub is the entire post, then at the very bottom in a tiny font is a link to my hub.

1. Gail Meyers profile image64
          Gail Meyersposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I was looking at the traffic - where it was as of the date of the postings on the blog and the more than four months since then.  The traffic dropped by about 90%.  There were more than 1,600 hits from Google previously, but not even one under the "month" tab.  I did report it to Google a couple of days ago, but I have not heard anything and it is still up.

Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Did you get a chance to check out who the site or blog is registers to?  A guy named Dan Gordon has taken content from several of us.

1. watergeek profile image94
              watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Is there a pattern in the types of hubs he's taking? Maybe hubbers could check those types of hubs to see if they've been stolen and nab him.

3. rfmoran profile image70
    rfmoranposted 11 years ago

i have done this random search from time to time often with upsetting results. This is a great question because it prompts me, as it should prompt all of us, to schedule a monthly task for searching on some random test from our hubs.

4. adjkp25 profile image89
    adjkp25posted 11 years ago

Hey Marcy, just found another one of mine at a new site:

http://www. egige.com/index.php (space added to break the link)

Hopefully this isn't another trend of people stealing our stuff!

Oh, geez - I hope you reported it?  My first report to Google didn't seem to get quick results, but the second one got them removed right away.  I think the first didn't have the right form or something.  I know they want to get rid of sites that are 'link farms.'  So irritating to go through this!

1. adjkp25 profile image89
        adjkp25posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I did report it but it is such a pain to play Sherlock Holmes with all of these online thief's!

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

I just found another copied hub - on RedGage and also on BlogSpot.

1. watergeek profile image94
      watergeekposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Countering the disadvantage of relatively low traffic, I guess there's an advantage to writing hubs about conservation or the "green" life: No one bothers to copy them. I've only ever had one hub copied and I had that spammer removed from Wordpress. Just now I checked four hubs for copying and last week checked several more. The hubs are all showing up first in the search engines when I put quotes around specific phrases.

6. ChitrangadaSharan profile image90
    ChitrangadaSharanposted 11 years ago

This is so upsetting news. I thought Google and HP will take care of that the original content is not copied. This is so frustrating. What can be done to protect our content. I am quite new to online writing and don't know all this SEO related precautions to be followed.

Hi, ChitrangadaSharan - no, HubPages doesn't handle that for us, and while Google will often flag duplicate content, it's up to us to monitor things, spot it and report it.  The people who copy work are good at keeping us in the dark.  I have several search results popping up for at least two of my best-performing hubs that don't even have the content openly published - they have other content, but the search results show up when you enter exact language from my hubs.  So it's taking a while to get Google to act.

I thought they'd taken the sites down, but now I'm finding them again.  And, because I've already reported things, I can't report the same sites again - the form Google uses won't accept the duplicate report.

Very frustrating . . .

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)