Space-Time continuum.

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (34 posts)
  1. A.Villarasa profile image62
    A.Villarasaposted 11 years ago

If  I am not mistaken, it was Einstein who coined the term "Space-Time Comtinuum" perhaps to indicate that like Mass and Energy, Space and Time are one and the same thing.
    The Big Bang Theory posits that Time and Space started when  an infinitisimally dense entity the size of an atom "disintegrated" so to speak (via what and which mechanism, scientist are still not in congruence), and expanded/rippled  rapidly within nanoseconds of its inititaion to become, 12 billions years later,  what we now know as our universe.
    Now astrophysicists and theoretical physicists are coming up with the 'Multi-verse Theory", which posits that our universe(that came from that "BiG Bang") is only one among mulititudes of universes, each one possibly starting pretty much the same way that our universe did. The concept is stunningly complex and to contemplate it is, to say the least "truly" mind boggling.
    In the physical realm perhaps, it is mind-boggling, with scientists tripping all over the place trying to outdo each other in explaining  how that could and would come to pass.
    One such scientist is Davide Castelvecchi, who, in an article for Scientific American (jan 2013 issue) stated that what we routinely call the Big Bang, should now be termed the Big Bounce, i.e a mere "FLUCTUATION) (but as fluctuations go, this indeed was a Big One) among multiple simultaneous states via the prism of loop quantum gravity, a big bounce from an earlier collapsing universe.  This theory of Never-ending expansion and collapsing, could potentially undergird the idea that Time-Space is in fact eternal, like a circle that one could not quite know where/whence it started or ended.
    In the spiritual realm, would the above discusion give credence to the concept  that GOD, embodied in the Time-Space continuum is in fact ETERNAL?

1. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The above discussion has nothing to do with God. But it would be directly opposed to Genesis, where it states God made everything in a few day a few thousand years ago from nothing.

A.Villarasaposted 11 years agoin reply to this

@RadMan:
        I didn't know that you are also into  interpreting biblical passages, aside from quoting irrelevant neuro-scientists.

1. profile image0

Ha, are you somehow more qualified then me? Attempting to insert God into science is what kept humans in the dark ages for about a thousand years. Do you really want to back to the flat earth theory?

@RadMan:
            The first chapter of Genesis could not and should not be interpreted literally, because if it is is not interpreted metaphorically, it would literally fly smack against  the  earth's  geological and paleontological record. Now some folks may believe in the literal interpretation of everything that is written in the Bible.... I don't.

"Attempting to insert God into science is what kept man in the dark ages.."is a statement borne out of pure arrogance and hubris and factually full of holes that if you use that as your metaphorical parachute, you would fall to earth with a Big Bang, or is it Big Bounce?

1. profile image0

Okay, perhaps you want to explain the middle ages to me then. Do you even understand what arrogance means?

Arrogance is having or revealing an exaggerated sense of one's own importance or abilities.
              Hubris is the excessive pride or self-confidence.

You continue to call atheists arrogant, when it's Christians that think humans are the only animal with a soul and made in Gods image. I would like to understand why?

Good for you that you don't interpret the first Chapter of Genesis literally. I've had conversations with many that do take it literally. During the middle ages such statements may have gotten you charged with heresy. How do you interpret Chronicles 16:30 and Psalm 93:1 were it's stated  "the world is firmly established, it cannot be moved". That's the part that got  Galileo in trouble.

What about Psalm 104:5, "the Lord set the earth on its foundations; it can never be moved." Further, Ecclesiastes 1:5 states that "And the sun rises and sets and returns to its place"?

@RadMan: Sorry if I wasn't too clear... I was not referring to personal arrogance/hubris , but to arrogance of the scientific/empiric model that implies that if God or religion were not in the way, scientific discoveries   would have blossomed beyond anyone's imagination.
                The term Dark Ages is so outdated that even historians have dropped that  term because of its unintended connotation. For historical perspective of the Middle Ages, of which the Dark Ages is part of, you might just click on Wikipedia.
                As I said I am not a biblical scholar and for me to comment on those that you quoted  in your post would indeed be hubristic on my part.

2. knolyourself profile image59
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

Time is a concept and context of memory. The more memory the larger the context until what, God memory all. Who cares?
    You couldn't remember the big0bang. It would have killed you.
    Don't really see why we need it, except to support the theory of evolution, or I am better than you. Give me God. Give me Gold. This is a hold-up.

@Knol::
      On the contrary, the Big Bang or the Big Bounce does not necessarily support the Theory of Evolution for in its complexity, it undergirds the IDEA that Time-Space is eternal, and so is GOD.... No beginning, no end... Has always been here and will always be here forever.

3. profile image0
    Emile Rposted 11 years ago

I'm afraid if we found out that the Big Bounce were true  I would see it as evidence against God. Sure, the universe would be, for all intents, eternal; but that seems rather random to me.  Now, if you were to argue that this made our universe the lung of an incredibly large and long living creature I'd say 'hmm'.

@Emile R
      The randomness of  quantum mechanics is exactly what made Einstein very leery of it. He  did not accpet is as such because it did not fit nicely with his theory of general relativity. In fact it was what led him to say" ..God does not play dice with the universe."

1. profile image0
        Emile Rposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Maybe not. But, we know so little about the universe I wouldn't rule out a giant game of craps going on with the cosmos hanging in the balance.

@Emile:
          We know so little about the universe is a factual statement from a pure empirically i.e. scientifically drived narrative, so the question have to be asked: can we know a lot more about the universe through other means.

The subject of spiritual renewal has to be included in that discussion. Eons and ages back, when humans where more attuned to their spiritual nature, they came to an understanding of the cosmos unaided by scientific knowledge. We (with the scientific community leading the way) may now pooh-pooh early human's understanding, because they were based mostly on their spiritual perception and derivation of what the universe truly is... but there must be something to be said about that approach.
          In some quarters, there has been a resurgence of people  trying to reconnect with their spiritual bearing through various methodologies i.e yoga/transcendental/lucid meditation, spiritual retreats, etc) while others, have experienced "the-other-wordly" via mechanisms not consciously pursued, i.e. near-death-experience.

1. profile image0

I do agree. Science, by giving us access to so much knowledge about the physical world, has sidelined the search for the spiritual by a growing percentage of society. But isn't that the way of progress?  The spiritual isn't going anywhere. For us to find a way to understand the metaphysical (if it does exist) we have to first understand the physical. I think we are making progress; although we still have a long way to go.

@Emile:
              "The spiritual is not going anywhere?"  Really?

I suppose in this day and age of rapid secularism, rabid atheism undergirded by objectivism, reductionism and nihilism... the concept of spitritualism having lost its way among the morass of those "isms" is to be expected and verbalized and  advertised. But don't count it out yet.

What you call progress might in fact  be the start of the devaluation and devolution of Homo Sapiens to a soul-less version of his old self---what I would call Homo Roboticus, living the la vida loca  in technological nirvana.

The above scenario can only be forstalled if humans go back to their spiritual roots.

1. profile image0

Talk about spiritual arrogance?

Spiritual and arrogance are oxymorons.
                    Ego from whence arrogance oozes from does not exist in the spiritual realm. The factuality and reality of man's spiritual nature have been degraded and ultimately denied by those whose EGO have blinded them to their perception that  physical realm is the sole destiny of humanity.

2. profile image0

You don't have enough faith in the eternal existence of life. We are stardust, as they say. That which constitutes the parts of our physical make up has been here since the beginning. Whether we recognize it, or not. Changed, but stardust nonetheless. Wouldn't the spiritual be the same?

When you go to an expert to learn to do something better, you sometimes become worse at the task, because you have to retrain your self to do it a better way. In golf, your swing suffers terribly at first, but becomes better as old habits are finally replaced through a better understanding of how to reach your goal. I think, if there is anything to spirituality, we have to accept that old habits and beliefs must be examined and removed (if they prove to be nothing but habits and beliefs) before knowledge can be internalized; to our collective advantage. And the only way to move forward is as a collective.

1. kess profile image60
                  kessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

But for the collective to move forward every single individual must first be transformed....

So the tranformatiion of the collective begins with you the individual.
                  As long as the individual eyes remain on the collective so as to judge its progress,
                  The eye of that individual will be decieved  and negate any (if any) progress made.

So the statement God (the perfect) is in you....is most important.
                  This means the individual self assessment unto himself alone.. .
                  This is why Truth becomes imperative.

The mindset that the collective can make progress collectively  is the caused the birth of all religion/anti-religion ( those who collectively oppose religion), by which an education system is introduced to bring it to reality.

But if you can see, this most applauded system is cause of massive brainwashing which cause men not to see the obvious.

Consider its ways and it how works within what is called our modern heath systems,
                  In trying to eliminate death and creating longevity of life, it has only succeeded in creating one million more ways to die while it pat itself on the back that it saves us from the cold weather.

Forgetting that men were born into and strive under these same conditions successfully, with out any of their contraptions.

These things happen because men strive after a boast of having more knowledge, and in effect they are merely abandoning the very source of it.

The one who argues against these things are effectively elimination themselves from the Only Progressive Collective, which is called LIFE.

....and the sill wonder why they die.......

1. profile image0

I get what you are saying, but throughout recorded history man has attempted to connect with the Divine within himself. To what end?

I say, we have to first accept the Divine in others. We have to see it. Developing that sight first may lead to finding the true spirit. Searching inside of ourselves is an exercise in ego. Grab someone else's bootstraps to pull them up first, in a manner of speaking.

2. A.Villarasa profile image62

@Emile:

I fully agree if by "...moving forward as a collective..."  you mean moving forward as a specie. The word "collective" as far as I am concerned, has  a rather negative connotation i.e.(1) collectivism=communism, (2) collective consciousness=absence of free will, (3) collectivization=controlization

1. profile image0

I get that it has negative connotations (I'm thinking the Borg); but to refer to us as a species isn't a term I would have used in that sentence. A species is defined by our physical characteristics; but it isn't our physical characteristics we are speaking of.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)