Are cynics crippling discussion?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (6 posts)
  1. mike102771 profile image70
    mike102771posted 11 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7702090_f248.jpg
    When posting anything on the net about politics or religion (but especially politics) there is always one person (more now than ever) saying that all politicians are crooks or a witty yet useless attack on any sign of faith? Some will say things about a person’s beliefs that are beyond belief. It would seem to some that as long as it does not mean anything to them than anything goes.

Does “all politicians are crooks” or “Washington D.C. was built on a swamp and after 200+ years has returned a swamp” help any discussion or is it a sign of a person what just wants to add to a discussion without really contributing?
    Has anyone ran into a rude or crude comment after saying or posting a comment either outright offering a personal belief on religion or politics?

1. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mike,

I know what you mean about the unproductive comments, and I agree.  I will throw in a one liner from time to time when the flow of the conversation seems to allow for it, but then I try to keep it as humor.  Pointed, maybe sometimes, but still humor. 

One thing I get tired of, and I think this is relevant to your point as well, is not being able to have a thread stay on track with the OP.  For instance, who would think a thread asking "Whom do you Love Most after GOD ?" would be a lightening rod for the usual folks berating God, believers and their answers to the OP?  Seems if you don't believe in God, you could state that in your answer regarding who you do love, but why say horrible things about God and call those who believe in Him immoral, delusional, etc? 

There are plenty of threads which invite that discussion, and I will occasionally take an active role in them, but why not leave threads that don't invite it alone?  Especially if they don't apply to you and your beliefs?  If you want to argue and attack, why not seek out a thread with a provocative title and engage there instead? 

I am getting better at ignoring the trolls, but still, it would be nice once in awhile to have a friendly discussion with like minded individuals in a thread whose OP sets it up to be just that, without having it turn into a flame fest.  Perhaps some folks just can't be that considerate or civil, or perhaps they don't even realize they do it.

Of course, that is just an example.  Many more could be given for religion, politics, and even other subjects.  Is this in line with the concern you expressed?

2. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 11 years ago

Your issue is true and to the point. I am at a loss to understand the lackadaisical attitude that some people bring to the conversation yet and still the point you made about comments supporting their particular view prompts tends to be discounted when not pertaining to their perspective. I have also found there are some people who are infatuated with words and my how they like to go on about hypothetical concepts which either distract from the issues or simply is baseless in nature.

There are times when I believe people are detached from reality and by so being they are out of touch with the truth for example if one has never experienced true poverty, gut wrenching starvation then it's easy to make snide comments regarding this condition, should however by some miracle they were placed in that condition I am quite certain they would not find it nearly as whimsical and humorous as they would like others to believe.

3. innersmiff profile image65
    innersmiffposted 11 years ago

All politicians are crooks. How one goes about presenting that point of view is the key.

1. bBerean profile image60
      bBereanposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Presentation is often everything, I suppose.  Consider the verbal calisthenics utilized to convey someone says things that aren't true, particularly when the media speaks about powerful politicians, without plainly saying the person lied and is therefore a liar.  Libel / slander lawsuits and too many lawyers I suppose, but if someone clearly lied there should be no issue in honestly declaring the fact.

1. mike102771 profile image70
        mike102771posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Funny, yet true.

Government is like a car. When it runs and gets us where we want to go then we don’t think about it. Only when it breaks down do we care. The phrase “eternal vigilance is the price of freedom” comes to mind. We the people are as responsible for allowing government to break down. People who say such things as “all politicians are crooks” are essentially saying there is no way to fix this because anyone who wants to fix it is a crook. We complain and complain about the crooked politician, but we also have an over 90% reelection rate for congress and the senate.  Part of this is the “It’s not my congressman/senator who is a crook mentality” as well as the people who complain and do nothing about it (such as vote).
        Government should be treated like a car because when something does not work we replace it with a new part. Routine maintenance is the price of freedom.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)