The QAP process - constructive critisism

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (10 posts)
  1. SimeyC profile image87
    SimeyCposted 11 years ago

There has been a lot of angst relating to the QAP system but no real analysis. So let's try and do something productive. When anyone gets a chance, review the 'latest' list and list any common problems that you see with hubs that have been published. Are there too many with major grammar errors? Is the formatting poor? How many out of the last 30 should not have been published etc.

Until we have objective statistics and feedback we can all shout about how good or bad the QAP is. By quantifying the results and analyzing areas where the QAP seems to be failing we can assist HP.

http://hubpages.com/hubs/latest/

1. Paul Maplesden profile image78
      Paul Maplesdenposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great idea Simey - Bump!

2. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 11 years ago

I think the premise of this idea is great.  The only problem is the execution.  How many hubs should a person read?  In what format should the data they collect be?  How can a concept such as whether a hub should be published or not be quantified?

For instance, I just read one hub that I suspect is from an English as a second language writer.  The information in it would be helpful if that was a topic someone was interested in, but the layout was poor, there were many grammar errors, and it was clunky to read.  Still, it had information in it that apparently is difficult to find on the Internet without doing rather extensive research.  Also, the information was so dull to me because I care so little about the subject that I quit reading the hub.

Should the hub be published?  It's borderline.  The information in it could be useful, but the hub was poorly written.  However, considering the writer has English as a second language, it wasn't bad.  How can these things be decided?  How strict should someone be?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Right or wrong, whether you agree with them or not, the answers to your question is in the MTurkers guide book.  They are doing the quantifying.

The basic answers are also in the directions in the hub hopper; apparently hoppers using it properly are following the same guidelines. 

I would add just one thing: "However, considering the writer has English as a second language, it wasn't bad".  That consideration has no place in deciding the quality of a hub.  First language, second or tenth doesn't make it well written and making excuses won't change google's mind when it comes time to apply penalties.

1. WriteAngled profile image74
        WriteAngledposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I agree. Ignoring illiterate "Engrish" by ESL hopefuls who want to make a quick buck here is going to make Hubpages sink even quicker in Google's eyes. This garbage should be excised as rapidly as possible. Broken English, together with spun and machine translated rubbish should be the main focus of QAP in my opinion. Why penalize literate writers who have not mastered SEO, while at the same time rewarding losers who murder the English language just because they have succeeded in targeting high-paying key words in their illiterate garbage?

3. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I thank you for this - we also need a quantative note - was this 6 poor hubs out of ten? or 6 poor hubs out of a hundred.

4. profile image0
    Giselle Maineposted 11 years ago

Hi SimeyC, great idea.  I had a look at the latest hubs, and I was actually very impressed at the quality compared to a year or 2 ago (i.e. before the QAP).  I couldn't find anything in the first couple of pages that looked problematic.  In contrast, a year or 2 ago maybe every other hub released would be of extremely low quality (spelling, grammar, spam, way-too-short content, etc).  So I was pleasantly surprised to find that the QAP is actually doing something. 

However, I also believe that the QAP could have been replaced by an automated spelling/grammar/length checker for a fraction of the cost and solved the exact same problems.  I really think that what was holding HP down was those really obvious issues like nonsensical sentences, poor language, etc - not so much the 'higher level' issues like how the hub 'looks', etc. 

I don't really like the QAP because it seems needlessly complicated and expensive, but I admit I do like the end result of the latest hubs actually looking really good.  Again though, the QAP could just as well have been replaced by an automated process - I think too much attention in the current QAP has been paid to small, subjective issues than larger problems which can be more objectively identified by some other process.

5. WriteAngled profile image74
    WriteAngledposted 11 years ago

Six poor hubs out of two or maybe three pages that I scanned; I cannot remember. There are ten hubs per page, so six hubs out of 20-30.

SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Were the over-promotional hubs poor or just against the TOS - whether it's right or not, the QAP does not cover TOS violations. If these were flagged and became less promotional, would they count as quality?

I actually agree with you that TOS violators shouldn't be published - but I feel this should occur before the QAP proces - i.e. any TOS violation hubs CANNOT be published.

So 6 (or 4) out of 30 - representing a 80% (or 87%) success rate - I'd be interested to see if this improves or gets worse over the next couple of weeks. (or 6 out of 20 - 70%)

I'd like 100% of course but feel something like 98% is acceptable. Thank you for your research.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)