Does anybody else have a problem with their page view count?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (14 posts)
  1. Moon Daisy profile image80
    Moon Daisyposted 11 years ago

Hi,
    Around a week ago, (could be longer, I don't always check), I noticed that my daily page view figures had suddenly plummeted from several hundred to just tens.  Of course this could be explained away by an overnight drop in my hub popularity - except for the fact that I'm also getting minus-numbers from many of my traffic sources!  That doesn't make sense, does it?

I know there has been a known issue concerning hub view reporting, but I read before that the known issue has now been fixed.  And my numbers still remain at this lower level (or negative).

Is anybody else having this problem?  Is there any way of investigating whether it's just a genuine fall in numbers, or if there is something else wrong?

Thanks. smile

1. Pat Merewether profile image60
      Pat Merewetherposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Not only were my views low, but I haven't received any money posted to my amazon sellers account for months - and I know people have purchased items through my links.  I've contacted amazon several times about this and they just blow me off with 'everything's fine' - very frustrating.  I have notice a dramatic increase in views the this month and increased income (from about 10 -25 cents a day to nearly 99 cents - whoo hoo)

Moon Daisyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi Pat,
        Yes, it's all very frustrating.  Annoying that you've had problems with Amazon as well.  I hope it gets sorted out soon.  Thanks for your reply.

2. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 11 years ago

I'm seeing negative figures too, so something isn't right.

Your true hub views are recorded on Google Analytics. All you then need to do is factor in HP's share,and the remainder is yours, more or less.

Thanks IzzyM.  I tried to check Analytics but I'm having some problems there.  When I checked it the other day  it seemed to have altered its settings so that it showed me the stats for HubPages as a whole, rather than just my account!  Maybe that happened when they changed the domain names.  And now when I go there, (via my earnings page), it's not recognising me, just asking me to sign up..  So having all sorts of issues at the moment!  hmm

1. IzzyM profile image86
        IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Set it up again.

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/sett … -analytics

They have a feature called Real Time now which shows you your hub hits as they happen - it is great fun to watch!

Ah thanks IzzyM, I just saw your answer.  I will try that.  Sounds fun. smile

3. sleepylog profile image60
    sleepylogposted 11 years ago

For the past couple of weeks I was lucky to get 80 views a day, but since the weekend my views have suddenly skyrocketed and now I'm back up to just under 300 views, which is more normal for me.

I really don't know what causes these fluctuations in view counts but I'm guessing it has to do with Google updating their search algorithms

sleepylog, I'm glad that your figures seem to have gone back to normal.  That gives me some hope that it's the reporting that might be wrong, and not the actual views.  (?)  It's hard to know what to think.  And if the views are genuine, (and I can't tell this for sure due to my problems with Google Analytics roll), then that will of course be reflected in our earnings.  And much as I like being here, going back to earnings of $2 per month after all the time I've spent here would be rather disappointing.

4. Moon Daisy profile image80

Thanks for your answers so far.

It seems like I'm not alone in this issue, and I'd really like to know whether these are my new, true figures or if the figures are wrong.  And if they are wrong, then obviously I don't want them to always be wrong, and need something to happen to get them fixed!

Is there any way to get a member of the HubPages team to address this query?  Should I maybe try sending a message to someone?

Thanks. smile

5. Moon Daisy profile image80

I can now correctly get into Google Analytics, and read my page views.  (It didn't work on my husband's computer for weird reasons, but does on mine.  And it does shows my figures, not total HP figures - think I was wrong about that).

But, looking at my daily figures on Analytics, it appears that they agree with the HubPages figures!!  neutral

They showed 779 views on 24th March, then started a steep decline from then onwards, dropping to 70 views on the 29th.  Figures have stayed low since then.

Have views plummeted for the site overall, or is this just for some accounts?

Any suggestions anyone?

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The site is up on the whole - http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com

Most of us gets 90% of our views from something like 10% of our hubs, so all it takes is to lose popularity on just one or two hubs.

It sounds like maybe one or two of your most viewed hubs have fallen from grace.

Could it be seasonal?

If not, just wait a week or two and traffic will likely return. Google is fickle.

Just a thought, check where that traffic was coming from - it could have been Pinterest of Facebook, in which case high traffic levels are not sustained (but nice at the time).

6. Moon Daisy profile image80

Thanks IzzyM.  Yes, my best-viewed hub has suddenly gone way down the list.  It's not seasonal though, as it's a hub on pregnancy!

Most of my traffic was from Google.com.  But that's currently showing a view count of -14.  A lot of the other sources are negative too.  It seems very strange..

Thanks for your help on this.

7. gosupress profile image59
    gosupressposted 11 years ago

Same here, I'm seeing negative Google search numbers across the board. It also looks like several of my hubs were thrown out of the Google index after being in there for a brief time. For example links to these hubs from the profile page show up in the results but the pages themselves don't. (I don't think they fell into unfeatured, ate least not for long) It's puzzling.

One of the hubs was copied somewhere else and that got my page de-indexed because Google picked the wrong page as the original but I hope that will be restored when my DMCA hits. Yet it leaves a few other results unexplained.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)