Does intelligence make you a better parent?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (20 posts)
  1. chaoticpsyche profile image59
    chaoticpsycheposted 11 years ago

Every day I see some of the most stupidest people having children. Usually, at least it seems to me, those with less intelligence keep having child after child, often when they cannot afford them. I sometimes think it would be better for all if there was an IQ requirement for having children. I know there is a philosophy on those who are intelligent and have children have intelligent children. And yes there is always going to be something that proves this to be wrong. But can you imagine the less of a burden if those who could afford to take care of their own children were the ones having chldren.

1. Mom Kat profile image78
      Mom Katposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First off, just because you are intelligent doesn't mean you are financially better off.  With the economy the way it is I know plenty of "smart" folks out of work or taking jobs that pay minimum wage.
      So what's the issue here?  Poor people or Stupid people?  Because you can be smart & poor or stupid and rich....

As for parenting - it takes a different kind of "intelligence".  Again, I know plenty of people who can score high on an IQ test that suck as parents.

There is a maternal or paternal instinct that some have & some don't.  I've seen poor parents who are fantastic with their kids.  They raise them with morals, standards, love, and ethics.  These kids grow up to be productive members of society.
      I've also seen well off parents who do a horse crap job and end up spending their money bailing their kid out of jail or putting them into rehab time and time again...

So just to be clear - are you saying poor people are stupid & can't raise kids?  Because that's kinda what it sounds like here.

1. readytoescape profile image60
        readytoescapeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Ouch that's gonna leave a Forum Bruise.....lol

2. QNA profile image60
      QNAposted 11 years agoin reply to this

First of all really and truley there are plenty of wealthy and smart people that have bad children or do not pay any attention to the kids. I am not rich by any means and I am no genius. However my kids are really well mannered behaved and get straight A's. Plenty of smart people are in a sense stupid and I would not let then make choices for my children I am poor but my kids have everything they need and I ask nothing of anybody I always find a way common sense Is more important a lot of smart people have no sense at all most of the bad things that happen to kids on the news or bad kids on the news are not those of stupid people. Common sense can not be taught to the fullest. Either you have it or you dont.

3. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Intelligent people do make better parents.   They are more logically minded in raising their children.  They think things through.  They are less likely to act impulsively towards their children.   More intelligent people are least likely to abuse and/or use harsher forms of punishment to discipline their children.

Intelligent people tend to be highly educated.  This means that  as parents, they can teach their children better in terms of basic literary skills.   They can better expose their children to more cultural, academic, and/or intellectual activities and events than parents who are less intelligent and less educated.   They are more democratic and less authoritarian in their approach to parenting.  They tend to see their children as unique individuals instead of mere appendages and automatons of them.   Less intelligent and less educated parents tend to be more authoritarian and less democratic parents.  They are more likely to view their children as appendages of them who they can mold into their likeness.

4. Silverspeeder profile image60
      Silverspeederposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Intelligence is no substitute for common sense, some of the most intelligent people i know do the stupidest things just the same as those with low intelligence.
      Don't have children unless you can afford to keep them.
      Its not just cash you need but time and energy, love and understanding and a deep desire to raise your children to be a credit to humanity.

1. gmwilliams profile image86

+1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 !

2. chaoticpsyche profile image59

No, my question is about intelligence, not being poor. Statistically, those who are poor, are probably not educated, but of course even I am a contradiction to this. It just seems those with low intelligence and are poor keep having children. And then of course you have the theory that stupid people breed stupid people.

1. QNA profile image60

I never intend to be mean but your mind set is just the kind I would not want my children around. That is a terrible example to a child so what you tell them sorry kids your parents are stupid so you might as well kill yourself now. Can anybody research how many intelligent successful people had average parents with no money and little education because half the baby boomer generation had parents with less than a high school education and low paying jobs of course im poor and stupid so I shouldn't know that

2. gmwilliams profile image86

What you have said is so true.   People who are intelligent do tend to have smaller families.  They are also more educated.   Yes, highly educated and intelligent people tend to have smaller families.   They know that children should be planned for socioeconomically.   They realize that children need individualized parental attention and they need more than the rudiments in life.   

Intelligent people do not believe in haphazardly reproducing children.   They PLAN.   They care and think about their children's futures.  They want to give their children a good socioeconomic life which includes cultural, intellectual, and educational activities.  They further believe that children need more than rudimentary care which include medical and health care.    They take everything into consideration before even thinking of having children.   If they cannot financially afford children, they DO NOT have them.   

People who are unintelligent and uneducated do tend to have larger families.   They DO NOT THINK of the ramifications of their actions.   Their attitude is whatever happens, happens.   The average parents of large families are socioeconomically struggling from day to day.   Their children are impoverished, bereft of health and medical care.   At best, they lead and live a second best life.   They tend to get scraps.    Children reared in such environments develop a poverty consciousness and a mentality of want.   

Such people do not believe in planning financially and otherwise for their children.   They are happy living a subsistent existence and inculcate their children to do likewise.   Unintelligent and uneducated people do not have a concept of family planning.   Family planning is beyond the purview of most unintelligent and uneducated people.   There is a strong and strict correlation between unintelligent, uneducated people and low income.  There is further correlation between being low income and having a lot of children.   Low income people tend to have large families.     Conversely, there is a correlation between being highly educated, intelligent, and having small families.   People who are highly intelligent and educated tend to think about situations before doing them while unintelligent and uneducated people just approach life helter skelter.
      http://s3.hubimg.com/u/7794798_f248.jpg

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 11 years ago

It is an asset, all other things being equal.  But not a requirement.  My Dad was almost a genius and let's just say, well ... he didn't do a great job as a spouse or father.  I would rate being responsible and being just plain nice as far, far, far more important.

Also, there are a lot of reasons people do not get an education.  I bet intelligence isn't even in the top three.

4. knolyourself profile image61
    knolyourselfposted 11 years ago

If you treat children like they are stupid, they in all probability will be stupid.
    If you treat then like they were Einsteins, then they in all probability will be intelligent.

5. lizzieBoo profile image60
    lizzieBooposted 11 years ago

Intelligence is not the same as cleverness or being educated. Intelligence is to do with having a natural understanding of things, an intuitive sense of reason and responsibility and an ability to learn through mistakes. By this definition intelligence makes for better parenting.

1. QNA profile image60

Yes you are right thats why I said plenty of smart people are stupid. The context that the question was phrased was more in the ball park of smart or stupid educated or not to make better parents and I repeat that many educated people are not good parents and dont learn from mistakes or adapt. Sometimes kids will not make it no matter what the issues are with the parents everybody is different and thats just the way it is.

6. chaoticpsyche profile image59

My belief is intelligence is innate, so even if you treat children like their stupid then if they  are intelligent they will still be intelligent. Perhaps my work environment gives me the opportunity to see a disproportionate number of stupid people who have children.

7. chaoticpsyche profile image59

Agreed many smart people are stupid, many poor people are educated, etc. Trust me, the context of my every day work experience drove me to this question and the parents I see make me pray, metaphorically, for their children.

8. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

And what exactly defines intelligence?  A doctorate?  A masters?  A CEO position? A billionaire?
    Intelligence and intelligent parents are not the same thing.  I've seen children of those holding doctorate degrees with less than intelligent parenting skills.  Sometimes their children are spoiled and have unrealistic expectations of life in general.   

The best parents love unconditionally and teach their children how to think, work and enjoy the lives they have.  They allow them to dream and create and make their own decisions, even if it means making mistakes.  This has nothing to do with how highly educated a parent may or may not be. 

Intelligence is defined as:  (1) : the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations : reason; also : the skilled use of reason (2) : the ability to apply knowledge to manipulate one's environment or to think abstractly as measured by objective criteria (as tests) 

Great parents will grow along with their children, and ultimately become more intelligent in the process because of the very nature of parenting and what is required.  Parents become more flexible and must adapt to new and trying situations, learn how to skillfully reason with a perceptive 3 year old and the moody 16 year old.  Some of the best parents I have known did not/do not have degrees.  It's very assumptive to say that those that are less educated make poorer parents.  Where would we be without the large families of generations ago that kept family farms operating and feeding the masses?  Families were large out of necessity.  College degrees weren't required.

1. gmwilliams profile image86

Many parents who have less education tend to have a very narrow viewpoint and focus.  They tend to view the world one way.   Parents who are highly educated tend to be more broadminded and that is reflected in their parenting methodology.   I will give you a case from real life.  Parents who are less educated tend to act irrationality when their children fail.   Many less educated parents tend to have a limited paradigm and think in strict dichotomies.  They also demand blind and unthinking obedience from their children. 

For example, a child experiments with marijuana and these parents become highly incensed and put the child away in a detention center.  Such parents find it totally plausible that their child dare experiment with marijuana.  To them, their child will become an addict.  The more intelligent/more educated parent, on the contrary, realize that children do experiment and try out things.  Although he/she may be incensed, he/she will enter into a discussion with the child and further explain the pros and cons of experimenting with drugs.  Parents who are more educated tend to have a wider worldview regarding life tan parents who are less educated.

9. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 11 years ago

gm, I'm going to agree to disagree with you on this one.  It appears that you have a rather narrow viewpoint of less educated people in general.  Education comes in many forms, not just from a degree.
    A degree certainly doesn't mean someone is highly educated or more intelligent.  It means they have a degree.

10. LupitaRonquillo profile image76
    LupitaRonquilloposted 11 years ago

To answer this question plainly, having a high IQ or many degrees or qualifications does not automatically make you a better parent. Rather, it depends on how you define intelligence. Parental intelligence is the type that can. Parents who LOVE, WANT and are INVOLVED with their kids whether they have a degree or not, is what makes a better parent. There is a level of education needed for parental intelligence (how to feed, care, teach, or treat an ill infant) as well as a desire to continue learning, either by advice or through experience this "child rearing" activity (how to deal with tantrums, social disorders, extreme immaturity or irresponsibility, etc..). Having and growing in this parental intelligence is what makes a better parent. I've seen and known parents that have gotten professional degrees and are very successful persons in their careers but very unsuccessful parents. I've also seen it the other way around as well. My sister doesn't have any degree and only has a GED yet she is way better parent than most. Her well behaved, educated and positive minded kids are certainly the proof! Truth is, it can be hard juggling a professional career and being a great parent at the same time, especially today. Choices and sacrifices need to made. I'm a writer, a student and work part time with a great company but I'm also a mother. In my opinion, my role as a mother comes first. A lot of other parents will not see it that way and sadly will pay in the end at the cost of raising insecure and/or troubled kids.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)