American currency has, "In God We Trust." What does this mean to you?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Deb Welchposted 11 years ago

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/7592879.gif
    Everyone must have there own connotation for this phrase - have you ever given it any thought?

1. Healthy Pursuits profile image79
      Healthy Pursuitsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All it means to me is that in the 1950's, some zealots who didn't know that church and state were designed by our forefathers to be separate in the U.S. managed to put their personal opinions on our currency. It doesn't belong there, as we are a nation of multiple religions, as well as people who don't believe in any god at all. We should all be represented on our national currency. If one religion manages to make a lot of inroads, one day we may find that we have lost our freedom of religion.

1. Annsalo profile image86
        Annsaloposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Couldn't agree more.

2. ScarlaBlack profile image79
        ScarlaBlackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I agree as well.  I'm young, so I never lived in the '50s, but I think I read that, in the Soviet Union, religion was actually banned (so the government basically forced them to be atheists).  During this time was the start of the Cold War, and more importantly the second Red Scare in America.  As the Soviet Union banned religion, I think that the United States tried to cling to its religion as a response.  However, the United States that we think of at that time is much less diversified than now.  Even if that isn't the case, and there were plenty of Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, etc and people of different religions, the fact remains that, as the media tried to show, most of America was of Protestant, or at least Christian faith, and so put that phrase in to further show the differences between the Soviet Union and the United States.

Of course, I could be completely wrong and that had no place in the zealousness of certain individuals!  But that's what I think.  I'm not saying that it isn't wrong or anything, but I think it provides somewhat of an explanation to why that was added to our currency.  Remember that the Pledge of Allegiance, the first patriotic thing that is drilled into your head since kindergarten, contains the phrase "under God", and I'm pretty sure that was added during the Cold War, so I think the currency goes with that.

I don't know if it makes a huge deal or not in religious freedom.  Most of the people I know (and I do know plenty of people that do not believe in the Judeo-Christian God, or have another belief system) simply use money and go on their way.  However, if it does offend many people, I think it should be changed so as to, as Healthy Pursuits said, represent all of the nation.

1. profile image0
          Deb Welchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I think it will a sad day when they remove God from everything that has been considered important.  What type of verse should be used that would be accepted by all - I wonder.

2. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 11 years agoin reply to this

It means that America as a whole believes in God, period.
      The Christian God, the God of the Bible, the Creator of the earth and of mankind.
      Not the Islamic "god", not atheism, not anything or anyone but God Himself.
      We are a Christian Nation.

1. Paul Wingert profile image60
        Paul Wingertposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yeah right.

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

She's probably right in that that what it means.

Hardly means it's true but then nothing else our govt. says is either.

2. Zelkiiro profile image86
        Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

The Founding Fathers would tell you to go back to Britain.

2. Reality Bytes profile image74
    Reality Bytesposted 11 years ago

I pledge allegiance on my life.

In life we trust

?

1. profile image0

Yes - In Life and In Love, We Trust in each other.

3. Greekgeek profile image78
    Greekgeekposted 11 years ago

For me it's a history lesson.

The phrase comes from the Star-Spangled Banner by Francis Scott Key. It was the motto of a Union brigade during the Civil War, and then the Union began to print it on money in a propaganda effort to take the religious high ground, claiming the Union, not the Confederacy, had God on their side.

The original old motto of the U.S. before that was e pluribus unum, "out of many, one," and I feel that ever since, our country's internal struggles have been symbolized by those two different mentalities.

"In God we trust" came and went on money after the civil war. It really got locked in as offiical during McCarthyism in the fifties, the same period that saw the phrase "under God" added to the Pledge of Allegiance.

Before, we were "out of many, one." People had settled this country from many different background and religious traditions, and this was officially recognized and treated as important. Now, adherence to one set of religious beliefs is treated as the "one" thing that's common currency among us, and the "many" are regarded as somewhat suspect.

We've come a long way since the framers of the Constitution first insisted on the separation of church and state. And the country will continue to evolve. But it's interesting to see how the changes introduced by one generation are enshrined as The Way Things Are by the time their grandchildren are in power.

1. ScarlaBlack profile image79
      ScarlaBlackposted 11 years agoin reply to this

At first I was really confused because I never remembered that phrase in the U.S. national anthem, but apparently it's from a verse rarely sung!  Thanks for some of the interesting information!

Although I do feel that the motto "out of many, one" seems to fit in better with today's America.

2. profile image0

Yes -  Latin phrase - E pluribus unum - one out of many —used on the Great Seal of the United States and on several United States coins?  Definition from Merriam-Webster.com  - This seems to fit better.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
    Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years ago

"In God We Trust" is to trust in God who loves us, who made us, who is the reason we are here. God and His love is the ultimate reality. It is exceedingly powerful to have it on our currency... It should remain. Actually, it underlines the spiritual nature of business, itself!
    In God We Trust.

Powerful.  Do you think that the more of those dollars that you have with those words printed on them, the more power God will supply you with?

Or that putting the words on our money will bring God to the side of America?  Because I have to say that every people in every battle that ever happened has claimed a god on their side...

2. profile image0

Kathryn -  said correctly - it should stay on our currency.

5. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

In god we trust on our currency means it can be removed anytime now. While we're at it, we can do away with "under god" in the pledge now that the cold war is long over. We have "In God We Trust" on the penny and nickel even though Lincoln and Jefferson were atheists, good one.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image78
      Kathryn L Hillposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Lincoln was not an atheist! Either was Thomas Jefferson.  Spreading untruths again, people. Stop it!

1. Zelkiiro profile image86
        Zelkiiroposted 11 years agoin reply to this

George Washington was a Deist, never went to church, and laughed at the idea of a personal God.
        Lincoln was a fringe non-denominational non-church Judeo-Christian.
        Thomas Jefferson was definitely an Atheist.
        So was Benjamin Franklin.
        And Thomas Paine.

Shhh!  Facts will ruin the idea that America was created by Christians, as a Christian country forever.  And for goodness sake, don't mention that Jamestown Landing was a penal colony or that the Puritans ran from Christianity and promptly began persecuting everyone in sight when they got here.

2. profile image0

Abraham Lincoln and Elvis Presley were both Jesus Christ in the flesh. No Atheist.  America was founded on Christianity and God Almighty was their Boss.  They were strict believers and followers of Core Values according to the Holy Bible.  Today not so much.

6. Paul Wingert profile image60
    Paul Wingertposted 11 years ago

Again?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)