A rather extended break coming for me....

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (28 posts)
  1. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

I just want to shout out to all my fellow hubbers, whose writings I enjoy; whose advice and suggestions I value, and whose comments I appreciate.

I am already on a semi-hiatus from writing new articles, waiting to see the effects, if any, of "The Google's" latest bright (not!) ideas.

However, I have tried to remain active in the forum and the Q&A, as well as visiting hubs when I can.

However, I may not be able to sit at my desk for a while, as I'm going in on Tuesday (4-16-13) for knee replacement surgery.  Whatever my talents and strengths in other areas might be, I admit to being a big crybaby wuss when it comes to pain, so I'm not sure how quickly I'll handle the recovery period.  I expect to be in the hospital for 2 or 3 days, and probably on a walker for at least a month or so at home.

Since I have only a desktop computer,  my access online will be limited by my progress.

I'm not a religious person, but positive thoughts are always appreciated.  I'll see everyone again on the flip side...

Cheers, Lizzy

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Wishing you the best, Dzy, with lots of "positiveness" headed your way.

Knee replacement isn't fun, but it's worth it.  If my mother, 90 years old, can do it so can you!

DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so very much, wilderness.  Knee replacement at 90?  wow...bless her heart.  I hope she is fully recovered at this point...

2. SimeyC profile image89
      SimeyCposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Loads positive thoughts for your journey - perhaps we can have a mega hub on the whole process when you come back!

Thanks, Simey!
          I was thinking about it...but it may come under "too purely personal" for HP; perhaps better suited for my blog.... ???

1. mary615 profile image83
          mary615posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I notice a lot of Hubs from people who have undergone health issues.  They write very interesting and informative Hubs about the problem and what was done.
          I have a good friend who just had a knew replacement and is doing very well.  Good luck!

3. ExpectGreatThings profile image75
      ExpectGreatThingsposted 11 years agoin reply to this

You will be missed! Hopefully when you return you will be pain free and easily walking. My mom had both knees replaced a few years ago. Recovery wasn't fun, but she is so glad she finally had it done. I hope the same for you! Ginger

Hello, Ginger--
          Thank you so much.  I am grateful for everyone's words of encouragement, and knowing that many have friends or relatives who've already been there/done that and made it back out the other side.
          I'm at least looking forward to a couple of hours of good sleep while under the anaesthesia....LOL

4. Dale Hyde profile image81
      Dale Hydeposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good luck and blessings your way.  I have had two shoulder surgeries that were not fun, but I am sure they do not compare to knee surgery!  Wishes for a speedy recovery.

Thank you very much, Dale!  Ouch on shoulder surgeries!  My husband has a torn rotator cuff, and was being evaluated for repair of that when they discovered further, more severe problems with his heart, so no shoulder repair for him!
          I appreciate your well-wishes, and I expect I will do okay.  wink

5. mistyhorizon2003 profile image89
      mistyhorizon2003posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good luck Lizzy. My Mum (in her late 70's) had it done a couple of years back and she is in far less pain now although she is obviously not allowed to use that knee to kneel on now. All in all she is glad she had the operation done and is definitely more mobile since.

Thanks so much, mistyhorizon!
          I've heard a number of good reviews of this procedure, so I'm optimistic that all will be well. If people that much older than I are having it done, I imagine I'll be able to get back to my bike riding, rollerblading and karate class.....but, if you cannot be on your knees..at all, ever again...ugh...that will make it very difficult to change the bedding...  and in karate, I guess I'll have to learn to do "guy" pushups!  sad  LOL
        Thanks ever so much for your input and well-wishes.

6. vocalcoach profile image95
      vocalcoachposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers my friend.  You hang in there now and know that all your hub buddies are pulling for you.  Hub hugs and the very best going out to you.  Stay in touch!

2. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 11 years ago

All the best coming your way, LIzzy.  Take care of yourself.  I promise, we'll be here when you're able to come back!

Big hugs!!

Thank you so very much, Mowtown2Chitown--I do look forward to returning, hopefully sooner than later--I will suffer withdrawals...

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years ago

We will miss you!   I'm sending plenty of good thoughts your way - I hope the surgery and your recovery go smoothly, and that you'll soon be back here posting about how great you feel.  I've known several people who have had knee replacement surgery, and the relief it gave them from pain was amazing.

Hi Marcy, thank so much for the positive vibes..much appreciated..I do know ONE person who had both knees done some years back... (one at a time), and he was very happy with the outcome.  I'm looking forward to that part, anyway..  wink

4. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 11 years ago

Liz, wishing you a speedy and smooth recovery from the surgery.

Thanks very much, Lisa...  much appreciated.

5. tamron profile image68
    tamronposted 11 years ago

You will do just fine.  My friend was 74 when he had his knee replacement surgery and he was barbering or back to work in 2 weeks.  You have my prayers!

Thank you, tamron, yes, I believe my friend who had both knees done was at least in his mid-60's at the time...about my age, now.....thanks for the well-wishes.

6. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 11 years ago

Good thoughts are being sent. I'm sure it will go fine.

Hello, Barbara Kay,
        Thank you so much.  I have now gotten the call telling me what time I am to report...so the fingernails are being munched down to the first knuckle... LOL

7. Melovy profile image92
    Melovyposted 11 years ago

I only saw this now, so you will have had your surgery, hope it went well and that recover quickly!

8. DzyMsLizzy profile image84
    DzyMsLizzyposted 11 years ago

Thank you all for your well-wishes.  The surgery did go well, and I am home far sooner than I expected or wanted to be....they have a nasty habit of rushing you out of the hospital these days, ready or not.   

The doctor said that the "original equipment" knee was far worse than it even looked on x-ray, and he was surprised I was still able to even walk at all....

Ah, well, it is over and done with; now I just have my physical therapy exercises to do, to get back to better than I've been in a long time.

I still won't be able to sit here for long stretches of time, as before, but I did want to post an update for everyone who was so kind...

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image84
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Great news!  Thank you for letting us know. Since it was so bad, I'm guessing you'll feel better than you even expected. Living with persistent pain every day for years can make you unaware of what you were dealing with.

9. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 11 years ago

Welcome back, DzzyMissLizzy. Glad to hear that you're doing well. Rest up and heal soon, Godspeed.

10. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 11 years ago

Great to see you back and okay, take it easy and I am glad it all went well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)