Why do we need the Topics Page?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. dilipchandra12 profile image64
    dilipchandra12posted 10 years ago

After the recent Panda Update, most of my hubs are indexed on HubPages (Topics Page) instead of my sub-domain.

My Google authorship was gone after the Panda Update (before the update it was there) and most of my hubs are indexed on HubPages (Topics Page). The URL link in the Google search to most of my hubs showing the HP topics page.

There is a known fact, Google Authorship (Pic displaying next to the hub/article in the search) improves traffic. But now that is no more, hubs are not indexed on my sub-domain (Google Authorship Gone!) instead indexed on HubPages topics page. Traffic too has come down.

I have a question, Do we really need the topics pages, what is the use of topics page?

Is there anyway i get the hubs indexed in Google on my sub-domain name so that my Authorship returns and perhaps traffic too increases?

2. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

We absolutely need a topics page or a way of indexing what people can find on the site. Think of it as a magazine (a huge one), or a library or archive.  Someone picks up the magazine at a checkout line, and they leaf through the contents listings to see what they can read in addition to the story that initially attracted them. If you go into a library, you need a way to find out what's on the shelves. 

There are certainly ways to improve everything over the years, and we will likely see changes in the topics pages as staff analyze how it's used and how well it reflects current Internet trends.  But without one, we would lose readership. It would be nice for there to be an easy way to draw people to it from every page - right now, it's hidden more than it perhaps needs to be. 

I thought there was still a way to claim authorship - someone posted about it on the forum recently.  But I don't think those two things (authorship and topics page) should be mutually exclusive.

dilipchandra12posted 10 years agoin reply to this

But, hubs of mine, only those hubs getting higher traffic are indexed on HubPages name and rest on my sub-domain.

1. paradigmsearch profile image61
        paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The $64,000 question...

Will the high traffic remain if/when the hub is "credited"/"moved" back to the subdomain?

Yes and i believe traffic might go up as well. This is have observed when i had the Authorship (Pic next to the article).

2. nufoundglory profile image58
        nufoundgloryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

How about we GET TO CHOOSE if we want our hubs to be on Topics page or not. I personally would want my hubs to be on Hubpages' topics page, because I've noticed some of my hubs are getting traffics from there.

But mr. dilipchandra12 here obviously DOESN'T want his hubs on Topics page. So the best is to let hubbers simply choose on their own. Right? Possible?

3. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

Are you possibly referring to hubs that have become unfeatured?  Check with Admin on that - it doesn't sound like the topics page is the issue.  Hope you get it ironed out!

All my hubs are featured. All those hubs of mine getting good traffic are not indexed on my sub-domain and they are not showing up in my WMT also.

I searched the titles in Google, they are appearing on the Page 1 but the URL is not showing up my sub-domain name and showing the HubPages topics page instead.

4. livewithrichard profile image73
    livewithrichardposted 10 years ago

The good news is that your hubs, if showing up in on the Topics page, are indexed in Google which is the most important thing. 

I have found that the reason the hub is indexed to the Topics page instead of my subdomains is because the Topics pages carry a lot more weight in the search engines.  The only way that is going to change is if I heavily promote my hubs using the URL that I prefer (the one through my subdomain). 

Right now, traffic is traffic so I'll take what I get and in the meantime, I'll promote away....

I agree with you. But, i observed one point here. They are slowly coming down, every hub of mine ranking 1 on the first page of Google are now slowly moving down and the traffic too is going down.

5. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 10 years ago

Richard is correct. I found my Hubs in the Topic section for poetry and they are featured and so being indexed by Google when searches happen.

I have found that by occasionally mentioning a hub of mine or someone else on Hub Pages via a tweet, or via Facebook or a Pin (or whatever) - a few more eyes get to view or see my hubs. I don't over promote them. Having an active profile on the top 3 or 4 social media does help, As does keeping the conversation about your hubs or activity in your blog if you have one. If others are mentioning you, so much the better. Have faith. Hub Pages is a great community and there are so many writers here.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)