Hubs Continually Not Featured, Though Revised

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (29 posts)
  1. glynch1 profile image64
    glynch1posted 10 years ago

Currently I have several very good hubs that you are not featuring despite my having made significant additions to them. Rather than just send me the form letter/email telling me they are not going to be featured, why not specifically tell me what they need? The editors are not helpful.

1. phdast7 profile image82
      phdast7posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had the same problem in the past and being referred to the Table which indicates the requirements for a Hub score of 4 -- 6 -- 8 -- 10   was not helpful.   It is too general and doe not give the hubber any clear direction.

I upgraded three hubs, but purely by trial and error -- it took a long time, a lot of work and the Table was not helpful because I had already met the level 8 requirements as I understood them.  In a system (HP) that is supposedly so codified, computerized, and based on a set of algorithms,

it seems very hard to believe that HP can't be more specific about the improvements which should be made.   Some sort of algorithmic print out that indicates the areas of deficiency would help both individual hubbers and improve the quality, thus the profitability, of HubPages overall.   Thank you

1. lovebuglena profile image85
        lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That table with the Hub Score of 2 | 4 | 6 | 8 | 10 and what that means is not helpful at all. I think this particular hub score feature should be shown in the stats for every hub so we can see what score each hub has and we should be told what it is that we lack in the hub if the score is not 10 instead of us trying to figure out what is wrong ourselves.

2. lovebuglena profile image85
        lovebuglenaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This would be the quality score I suppose and not the hub score as hub scores go from 0-100.

2. MelissaBarrett profile image58
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I would guess organization. 

No subheadings. No images. Wall of text. 

This is what a 7 organization looks like.

http://hubpages.com/sample/aazeV

This is what an 8 organization looks like

http://hubpages.com/sample/ae892

This is what a 4 organization looks like:

http://hubpages.com/sample/ae4uG

Which looks more like your hubs?

This is the scoring rubric.

http://hubpages.com/help/hub_hop_table#informational

Thanks Melisa and I know you are offering the information to all hubbers and I hope it helps some.   I am sure it will.

But I think there still some hubbers like me who are frustrated.  I have been a  Level 7 for over a year, currently have  101 hubs and all 101 of them are featured, every one has lot of capsules, subtitles, the text is broken up nicely, plenty of pictures, maps, photographs.   

So last week only 98 of my hubs were featured and it took me several hours of hit and miss improvements and changes to get the other 3 to pass the standard for being featured.  These were hubs that had been featured and performed quite well in terms of hits and comments even though they aren't particularly commercial. 

So I repeat my question, why can't we get a brief computer generated mssg (of course I don't expect a staff member to pour over each hub and end me a hand written note!)  that says here are your two problems.  Fix them or else.   That would be so helpful and result in better quality hubs.  I would gladly sing HP 's praises to the heavens.   smile

1. MelissaBarrett profile image58

Because that would mean that they would have to manually review every rated hub and make a report up citing every error.

The costs would be amazing as there are over a million hubs being rated.

If you are asking why they aren't releasing scores... I'm not sure.  I would imagine because it would look like a nuclear bomb dropped in the forums.

When it comes to QAP only the specific hub in question matters.  Raters have no idea how much traffic it's getting, how many comments it has or really anything about it's author.

HP continually talks about algorithms and computer generated stats.  As I said above ( did you not notice)   I am not, and I don't think anybody expects a million hubs to be rated by hand.   But somebody clever could find a way for a program to crawl our hubs and not the positives and negatives.   This is the 21st century for heavens sake. 

There is a program that will evaluate a student paper for me and compare to tens of thousands of sources and then indicate which, if any, sections are plagiarized.

I don't do it, a software program does it and HubPages  uses something similar already.   Expand the capabilities, produce better hubs, raise our ranking with Google  eliminate a lot of the hubber whining and carping!

Its a win / win / win / win  solution.    lol

The million hubs are rated by hand. 

It takes about 2-3 minutes per hub.

It would take at least 4 times that long if we had to write detailed explanations on why we gave the ratings.

Well Melissa, that is horrible and depressing and crazy.  All the more reason for a sophisticated software program to handle it -  software programs don't get exhausted and they could spend more time per hub in order to generate a detailed report.  --  Seriously, that is awful. I am surprised some of you aren't jumping out the nearest window in frustration.   I would be.

Now think about it this way  --  three minutes per hub times my three hubs.  So after nine (9) minutes of rapid-fire evaluation, I spent almost four  (4) hours making sure they would be approved at the next three minute review?   Now, I think I am really angry.   Not at you, but at the system.     Hmmmmm.   sad

Don't be too angry, we're a pretty well trained lot.

The problem is there isn't a computer program capable of telling whether a hub is useful or over-promotional.  They can work on grammar... to some extent... but they can't tell whether something is readable or not.  They really can't detect spun grammar either.

3 minutes is really all it takes to review a hub, unless it's a huge beast.  That's an average btw... and takes into account the 150 word hubs as well.

In short, even the most sophisticated software program is still inferior to a human being when it comes to reading for substance and context. Google has the most sophisticated "reading" algorithms on the planet... and still has human raters.

2. SerraB profile image64
                  SerraBposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I also rate hubs through mturk. It is actually a lot of fun, as long as the pay is right. To get paid to read what others are putting up on HP is one of my top three favorite jobs on mturk.

2. Bedbugabscond profile image93
            Bedbugabscondposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They use Mturk. So a lot of our hubs are manually reviewed at a pretty affordable priced. One thing to know about MTURK is that a lot of the workers are grammar nazis. I don't know if that is your issue as your writing seems sound to me. That chart that everyone is talking about is what they use to grade us. If you go hub hop and mouse over the three categories, you will see the general questions you need to ask yourself.

2. galleryofgrace profile image72
          galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have been frustrated with HP for some time, now it's even worse.  Two of my favorite hubs have been unpublished. I deleted obout 20 the other day and forgot that when you delete a hub you lose the points. I lost over 10,000 points. All of this trouble and work is not worth the pitiful $8 or $9 a month. I can do that at textbroker in half a day. I'm really getting ready to disappear.
          I'm sorry I'm not considered a professional writer if I was I wouldn't be writing for HP. I make  a lot more money with Amazon kindle. It's bad when you have to be embarrassed to tell people you write on HubPages.

3. To Start Again profile image71
          To Start Againposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ok, I've seen this kind of quote before and I just have to ask--what are the levels about and how do you know what level you are? Levels of what?!

2. glynch1 profile image64
        glynch1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It would have been nice to have had this scoring rubric when I began "hubbing."

It's been in the learning center for quite some time...

This will help with setting up different capsules (adding pictures and subheadings)

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/using-hubtool

Here is one place to find public domain images:

http://www.morguefile.com/archive/#/?q=christian

I linked directly to the Christian search, because that's what most of your hubs are on.

I'll see if I can scare up some more direct search links for you.

Edit: Here's another direct search link to some religious images

http://pixabay.com/en/photos/?q=christi … mage_type=

3. profile image0
        summerberrieposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for these examples smile

3. Bedbugabscond profile image93
      Bedbugabscondposted 10 years agoin reply to this

OK, I looked at some of your hubs. You don't have pictures, tables, videos and such. Are the ones not being featured like this? Part of what we are graded on is the media. A lack of photos, tables, videos and other items like that is probably a part of the issue.

2. jericho911 profile image59
    jericho911posted 10 years ago

The hubs that I can see are all quite short. Could that be the case ?

3. SagaSphere profile image65
    SagaSphereposted 10 years ago

I would recommend making your hubs more of an 'experience' versus just straight text. If possible, add an image or two. but, for your niche that could be challenging. You can spruce up the fonts with bolding, text enlargement and spacing. Also, adding referable opinions on what specific verses mean would be interesting. Based on your large amount of hubs, I know you have the dedication to make these truly amazing. Make it fun and personal!

1. glynch1 profile image64
      glynch1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Saga Sphere,
      I am new to graphics. How do I add images to my hubs? Where can I find appropriate ones for my "niche"? As for bolding, I remember sending my first hub and having it returned with the comment that I should not "bold" my text. What do you mean by "text enlargement"? Should I write in a larger font than Arial 12? Please explain what you mean by spacing? Does not the program automatically make the text single-spaced? I do include the "referable opinons" of various scholars on some occasions; perhaps you did not read a hub with one of those comments.

4. madscientist12 profile image93
    madscientist12posted 10 years ago

All my hubs are featured. I simply follow the little box thats in the top right hand corner when you're creating hubs. The box tells you a minimum of 700 words, three high quality images, and some type of poll, table, video, or link. I simply make sure I have most of those requirements and that my spelling and grammar is outstanding. Subdivide topics into different text capsules or subdivide paragraphs into different text capsules. And if relevant, add headings to each section.

1. galleryofgrace profile image72
      galleryofgraceposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Featured today- Gone tomorrow!
      I deeply resent my hub "Researching Old Military Photos" being continually  unfeatured! That hub is a very valuable resource to genealogy researchers! If it's not good enough for HP then neither is the rest of my work. No  other updates for 44 hours?! I'm getting out while I can HP is crashing.

5. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
    Marcy Goodfleischposted 10 years ago

These are helpful links - thanks!

Any samples of a Perfect 10???

I've never seen one. I'm not sure one exists.

the macaroons one is a 9-8-9

http://hubpages.com/sample/ae892

6. Pamela N Red profile image82
    Pamela N Redposted 10 years ago

Sometimes we think our work is good when in fact it is not. You would need an unbiased opinion to get a good assessment of your articles that are not featured.

7. Availiasvision profile image82
    Availiasvisionposted 10 years ago

Did you write a minimum of 700 words and 1-3 pictures?  Hubs with fewer words or pictures can be featured as long as they are constantly being viewed and commented on. 

Also, HP wants you to use their capsules, as much as possible, to break up the article.  Articles written in one or two long paragraphs are generally not chosen.  If you break your articles up into logical sections, then HP will usually be happy. 

If they are creative writing hubs, then all bets are off.  I have no idea what HP is looking for other than pictures and popularity.  I could be wrong, but it looks like HP is solely interested in articles that can be searched by internet search engines, and poetry and short stories don't have advertising value and SEO/keyword weight. 

I don't think that the staff is reviewing your Hubs.  It is an automated computer system and works in conjunction with the Hub Hopper.  My guess is that if you hit the minimums (there is a prompt in the upper right corner when writing a hub), break up your hub, write a summary, and grammar/spell check aren't too ticked off, it's an automatic feature.  My contention is that the marginal hubs are peer reviewed through the Hub Hopper.

HP needs to change with the times to stay competitive in the market.  It may be crazy around here, for a few months, while they are sorting out these new changes, but I believe they are good and will continue to uphold our stellar reputation in the eyes of the public. 

I'd be happy to check out a few of your unfeatured hubs and see if there is any way to get them up into the spotlight.  On your profile page you have an option to still show hubs that didn't make the cut. There is a slider at the bottom of your edit profile page.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)