Text Ads in Forums, hubs, new tab opens for Ads! Is this New or a Bug?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (15 posts)
  1. Michael Willis profile image68
    Michael Willisposted 10 years ago

Every page or forum I read on HP if filled with numerous Text Ads/Links. Very annoying! I have had to turn on Adblocker to read through a hub or a forum because of these pop-up text ads. I hope this is only a bug and not a new program. I always avoid sites that have these and this could irritate readers who visit HP.

Examples:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8206472_f248.jpg

http://s4.hubimg.com/u/8206475_f248.jpg

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I noticed these about 3 weeks ago but when  ran my antivirus program they stopped showing up. My latest hubs do not have this type of link.

2. paradigmsearch profile image58
      paradigmsearchposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Malware scan time I think. I'm pretty sure HP isn't doing inline text ads yet. Then again, the forum ads at the bottom of the page were a complete surprise... Still, I'd do the scan anyway...

3. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

As paradigmsearch stated, any time you see inline ads, this is usually do to malware/ad-ware on your computer as we do not have inline ads like that.

I would suggest disabling any browser plugins or extensions including toolbars, shopping, or other such software.
      You may also want to do a malware scan on your computer.

2. paradigmsearch profile image58
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

cnet is a good resource if you need one.

3. Michael Willis profile image68

Hmmm, I did a full system scan last night. Guess I can do another, thanks.

1. paradigmsearch profile image58

I have a low opinion of security software in general. The black hats are so far ahead of the white hats that it's a joke. However, MalwareBytes (or whatever) can usually handle this level of intrusion.

4. DrMark1961 profile image97
    DrMark1961posted 10 years ago

One of the files was called "lyricupdater.exe", another "flcsup.exe", yet another was "lrcson.dll". I wanted to copy the whole addess for you but my system would not allow this;

5. Michael Willis profile image68

Just completed a full anti-spyware/malware scan and several items detected and removed.
    Problem...I still see all the ads and links in text on Hubpages. And it is only on Hubpages! Not any other internet page.

1. paradigmsearch profile image58

It's a little after 5 AM with me and I'm still working on my first cup of coffee, so this is pure speculation...

Whether deliberately, accidently, or as a victim;I think the Hubpages website may be tangled up with an entity called tribalfusion. Even though HP doesn't want inline text ads on their site, this might be the root cause for those visitors unable to defend against it.

6. brakel2 profile image74
    brakel2posted 10 years ago

The reason ads are in forums. I believe is because recently I have seen long forum posts in search. Apparently we have enough visits to forums that ads were placed for that reason. Ads are everywhere these days.

1. Susana S profile image92
      Susana Sposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The adsense ads at the bottom of the forums are legit. Any intext links/ads that Michael is seeing is due to malware.

7. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

I use Adblock Plus and see nothing.

I was prompted to start using it when a site I use very often for work purposes suddenly started featuring extremely intrusive ads, including flashing ads, ads with sounds, ads that fill the screen if you inadvertently click in the wrong place. Before that happened, I tolerated the ads and there was always an outside chance I might have clicked on one. Now, the site owner's greed means I will never, ever see an ad there again.

I think that is also a lesson for HP owners. Take people to breaking point with excessive ads and it is highly likely they will either stop coming or will use the site with an ad blocker.

8. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

By the way, Adblock Plus also removes all the irritating Facebook ads smile

9. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

In text ads are not used on Hubpages.  When they appear malware is found to be responsible.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)