Gender Traitors

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (14 posts)
  1. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 10 years ago

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/8213870.jpg
    There are women who do not believe that women should have equal rights as men do.  They are strong proponents that the main roles and goals of women are to be housewives and mothers. They further believe that women should be subordinate to men.

There are women out there who clearly do not believe in women's reproductive freedom as far as contraceptive and/or abortion choices.  Such women want to turn back the clock so to speak.  Well, most thinking women view such women as gender traitors.  Why would any woman in her right thinking mind be against overall equality for women, especially in terms of reproductive rights?

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
      dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I believe there are three key reasons why these women feel this way.

#1 Religions (most of them treat women as secondary compared to men) one biblical example is Ephesians 5:23. "For the husband is the (head) of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church....." Relgion is very "gender role" specific. These women do not think of themselves as being "tratitors" but rather as following the dictates of God and (embracing) their role of "helpmate".  Naturally no devout Christian sees abortion as a choice and they are against premarital sex.

#2 Many of these women believe "progressive women" are to blame for why it's so difficult for them to either (get a man or hold onto one). It's a real challenge for them to keep a man interested in them while abstaining from sex when there are so many "other women" willing to jump into bed with men in a heartbeat. These women believe if more women held out sexually in a traditional sense there would be more marriage proposals and less infidelity. They see women who want to be "sexually equal" to men as being the destroyer of romantic traditions and courtship.

#3 Progressive women make them feel (insecure) about their own choices. The more business savy successful women there are the more unfullfilled a housewife or stay at home mom feels as society downplays her role. Sometimes you see articles written that state how much a "stay at home mom's salary (would) or should be" compared to what other women do on their jobs. Quite a few of these women will try and use "reverse guilt" on progressive women. "I chose to stay home with my children because it was more important for me to be there (for them) than pursure a career." "There is nothng more rewarding than (being there) for your kids including money." "I could never leave my children in daycare or with some stranger!" or "Motherhood is a (full-time) job." In other words the women that try to "have it all" are seen to be selfish. When they come home they're too tired to cook for and "please" their man. In their eyes this is one of the reasons why there has been an increase in diovrces.

Lastly some of these women always (wanted to be taken care of). Histroically college was a place women went to in order to meet men from well to do families or men that were likely to become successful in hopes of marrying them. Women who had to (work for themselves and pay bills) were "pitied" because they were thought to have lacked beauty or social connections to attract a "well to do" man! In other words they (had) to work because they could not find a man to take care of them!
      Some of these "traditional" women resent "progressive" women because now (men expect them) to work in additon to doing their "wifely" duties! They now feel "pressured" to work outside of the home and afterwards come home to cook, clean up, do laundry,, and take care of the kids.

Ulitmately I don't believe there is such as thing as "gender traitors". I believe life is a (persona)l journey. Women will never have true equality until both groups of women respect and accept the choices of one another. Today members of both groups still to choose to blame each other for holding them back from doing what (they) want instead of looking in the mirror and taking responsibility for their own happiness! One woman's life choices should not effect another woman's life chocies.
      One man's opinion! :-)

gmwilliamsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Excellent, spot on analysis as usual.  Continue to add to the discussion, Mr. Dashing, you are certaintly a breath of fresh air.  I might add, totally concur with your premise!

1. dashingscorpio profile image80
          dashingscorpioposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks gmwilliams! I know I can be a little windy sometimes! :-)
          Have a great day!

You too!

2. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

In before Brenda tries to justify the subjugation and oppression of her fellow women.

Zelkiiro, you're right. SOME FOLKS can be totally trying not only to me and you but to all progressively minded folks.  Meditate, take DEEP, DEEP breath.  Ready, set, gooooooooo!  There are SOME who believe THEIR way is the only right way although THEY are soooooo wrong in their atavistic premise, know what I mean, Zelkiiro!

3. jenniferrpovey profile image78
    jenniferrpoveyposted 10 years ago

It depends.

I don't think a woman who chooses to be a housewife is a gender traitor at all. I believe that freedom means respecting all choices.

There will always be marriages in which a woman is subordinate to her husband. There will also be marriages in which a man is subordinate to his wife. Sometimes that's how the relationship dynamic between the couple works - and I'm sure there are same sex couples with the same dynamic too. I had an elderly in-law who's husband was utterly subordinate to her. I honestly don't remember him saying anything to her but "Yes, dear." When he died, she became non-functionally depressed - she couldn't live without him, yet everyone thought she was the strong, independent one who was most likely to handle being widowed! Nope.

There is nothing wrong with any relationship dynamic (other than abuse) that actually works *for that couple*.

Now, I do have problems with some of the anti-feminist woman. There's one wandering around somewhere in the south campaigning for the right to vote to be taken away from women on some weird shaky grounds about it destroying marriages or...something. And I do have a problem with those who say being a housewife is the *only* worthwhile life path for a woman.

1. Zelkiiro profile image87
      Zelkiiroposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's not the problem; if a woman is happy being a housewife, then who can argue with her?

The issue comes from those who say women should only be mothers and housewives.

4. jenniferrpovey profile image78

Which if you'd read my own post, you'd see I had covered.

I think some feminists do the reverse and put a lot of pressure on women who really DO want to stay home with the kids on some bizarre assumption that the men in her life have to be coercing her to it.

5. Mitch Alan profile image79
    Mitch Alanposted 10 years ago

gmwilliams, You say there are  those "who do not believe that women should have equal rights as men do."  Can you name a prominent female who thinks women should not have the right to free speech, the right to bear arms, the right to a fair trial or any other right expressly laid out in the Bill of Rights? I can think of progressive liberals who want to curb those rights for women, but no Constitutional Conservatives that do.  How does the killing of an unborn child equate to EQUAL rights with a man? Do you agree that the father should have EQUAL rights in deciding if their child should live or die?
    dashingscorpio, You quote Ephesians 5:23, but miss the context.  Remember that in verse 25-28 we read, "Husbands, love you wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself up for her, so that He might sanctify her...So husbands ought also to love their own wives as their own bodies...for no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it..."  When taken in the context of the entire passage it is seen that a woman submitting to this type of man would be nurtured and cherished. That is not a bad thing. The issue is if the man is not following his biblical calling. Remember a text out of context is a pretext.

6. Mercia Collins profile image65
    Mercia Collinsposted 10 years ago

life is one's own journey, no one has the right to dictate what anyone else's personal choices in life are. Some women prefer a career, some women choose to stay at home and bring up children and that is their personal choice, but only when that is their own choice.

7. Wayne Brown profile image80
    Wayne Brownposted 10 years ago

The choices made by  these women who you refer to here or for that matter any person are not driven solely by the argument of "the reproductive rights of a woman".  They are shaped by religious beliefs and teachings of the Bible as well as a concern for the respect for the potential life of a yet born child. One could also describe the other side of the coin as hiding from these concerns behind the argument for a woman's rights.  When you look at it on that basis, why then is one side totally wrong and the othe side totally right?  Abortion is a multi-faceted subject which cannot be solved by justifying it under one aspect and ignoring the other issues.  If a woman elects to abort her unborn child at 20 weeks through a partial birth abortion, the pundits say, "that's fine...it is her reproductive right as a woman to choose."  On the other hand, if a woman elects to stay home from work and be a housewife focused on raising her kids, she is depicted as some type of evil, backward bitch who is totally against any woman having equal rights with a man or anybody else for that matter....where is the rationale for that conclusion?   Those who beat the "reproductive rights" drum continue to work to expand that "right" and push pass the 20 week level.  Do we have to reach a point where we question the legality of blowing an unborn child's brains out in a partial birth process to avoid the charge of killing a human being?  When do we hit the limit?  If a woman cannot make up her mind about the abortion process in less than 20 weeks, then what is the viable and acceptable number in terms of that right, and when then does the child, though unborn, start to have some "right" as a human?  It is so easy to brush all of this under the rug and say that it is about the "rights of women"...so so easy.

8. jenniferrpovey profile image78

Abortion is incredibly complicated - or we wouldn't be arguing about it all the time.

I would note that not everyone who is in favor of keeping legal abortions available believes that they are moral at any time or for any reason. I don't even call myself "pro choice" because it gets so emotive. I'm certainly not "pro life." I don't identify with either side of the debate.

Especially as you're right - that some pro choice people and many liberal feminists DO denigrate the choice to stay home and raise kids, or the choice to have more than one or two kids. If you want to believe in reproductive freedom, then don't be a hypocrite about it and allow for all options. I joke that those people are having my share of kids - I don't want kids, I don't have any kids, I really hope I don't get pregnant - although I wouldn't have an abortion unless there was a damn good medical reason for it...so I joke that somebody else who loves kids can have my quota for me.

Both sides of the coin often miss what "freedom" really means.

I would point out that most late term abortions are done when a pregnancy goes wrong, not for social reasons, however.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)