SURVIVING AN ATOMIC BOMB ATTACK

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (28 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8260756_f520.jpg
    During much of the Cold War---particularly during the early years of the Cold War Americans were a people very much concerned with a Soviet nuclear bomb attack on the United States. Air raid and "duck and cover drills" as well as municipal drills were common. Civil defense mindedness informed the American people.

The government responded with a variety of civil defense advertisements aimed at calming Americans by suggesting to them some ways to survive such an attack. Among them SIX STEPS TO SURVIVAL published in 1957 by the Federal Civil Defense Administration. The 6 steps included the following: (1) Prepare your family for emergencies; (2) Learn civil defense and public action signals; (3) Know the CONELRAD stations and keep them tuned on your radio; (4) Follow all evacuation procedures; (5) Build a home shelter; (6) Read the facts about radioactive fallout.

What is your assessment of these efforts? Might such efforts---redesigned to deal, for example, with a massive cyber attack on the United States, be warranted in the present?

2. SpanStar profile image61
    SpanStarposted 10 years ago

Keep in mind that what was told to the American people about how to survive a nuclear attack was in fact a Lie!

Today's technology bombs have become even more devastating there may be a few people who will be able to survive such a catastrophe like the president and his staff but I'm quite certain most people will not have the necessary megabucks to create such a protective defense structure.

1. John Holden profile image60
      John Holdenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Plus the fact that the Soviet Union probably didn't have the capability to launch an attack on the US and were probably much more concerned with defence rather than offence.

1. profile image0
        mbuggiehposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The UUSR most certainly did have the capacity to attack the US. And, there is ample evidence. Among the best known: The Cuban Missile Crisis. Soviet missiles WITH warheads were intalled in Cuba.

But the missiles were installed in Cuba to defend the island, not to attack the US.

1. profile image0

The historical record which now includes information/documents from the former Soviet Union and which also now includes information exchanged between Castro and Robert McNamara at the Havana Conference in 1992 indicates two things: (1) Soviet missiles in Cuba were offensive weapons and (2) Russian General Anatoly Gribkov verified the fact that the Russian military in Cuba during the crisis---equipped with tactical nuclear weapons and had the authority to use them in the case of a US land invasion of Cuba; a land invasion that was to result specifically from a US effort to deal with the Cuban Missile Crisis itself.

Further, and again resulting from post-collapse of Soviet Union disclosure we know the following: (1) Soviet Premier Nikita Khrushchev believed he could successfully counter the growing lead of the US in developing and deploying strategic missiles by placing Soviet intermediate-range nuclear missiles in Cuba; (2) Khrushchev wanted to bring West Berlin—the American/British/French-controlled democratic zone within Communist East Germany—into the Soviet orbit and believed that he could trade West Berlin for taking missiles out of Cuba; (3) Khrushchev was also reacting in part to the nuclear threat of obsolescent Jupiter intermediate-range ballistic missiles which the United States had installed in Turkey.

No one in Havana or in the Kremlin imagined that the US would engage in any unprovoked attack on Cuba. The missiles in Cuba resulted from misplayed Cold War politics.

"equipped with tactical nuclear weapons and had the authority to use them in the case of a US land invasion of Cuba."

I rest my case.

1. profile image0

There is no evidence of any large-scale land invasion being planned by the US government---particularly after the fiasco of the Bay of Pigs.

In fact, any significant first-strike including an invasion by US military was soundly rejected as not only a mistake in terms of US Cold War objectives, but also contradictory to US history and policy.

Remember, Kremlin and the Soviets anticipation or worry that the US  might invade Cuba does not planned or probable invasion make.

Is it at all problematic that the Soviet Union was planning a nuclear first-strike against the US and in the Western Hemisphere as evidenced from their actions?

Sorry, I forgot, you were best buddies with Cuba weren't you?

Excuse me whilst I split my sides laughing at -

"In fact, any significant first-strike including an invasion by US military was soundly rejected as not only a mistake in terms of US Cold War objectives, but also contradictory to US history and policy."

Actually all your history and policy involves first strikes.

1. profile image0

I strongly suggest that you read Sergei Khrushchev and Robert McNamara for serious accounts of the Cuban Missile Crisis and US-Soviet relations during the Cold War.  And perhaps read some history of the Monroe Doctrine and its applications in the western hemisphere.

I know that bashing the US and its history---particularly during the Cold War is great international sport, but the fact is this: If the US had wanted to (a) invade Cuba or (b) destroy it with a nuclear first-strike, Cuba and Castro would have been relegated to the footnotes of history in October of 1962.

2. profile image0

Civil defense information was helpful--more particularly for American morale than for national security in what often seemed to be an impossible reality to manage.

3. Seth Winter profile image80
    Seth Winterposted 10 years ago

In case of a nuclear bombing attack.

Step one: Sit down. Nuclear attacks can be quite stressful and it's best to take in these attacks while seated.

Step two: Place head between legs. Minimizing body surface is key, also sitting under strong support beams such as doorways are a good idea.

Step three: Once head is between legs, kiss your ass good bye.

1. profile image0

Exactly...except for those miserable and suffering few who survive on the outskirts of the target.

4. maxoxam41 profile image64
    maxoxam41posted 10 years ago

Why don't you ask the Japanese? Why don't you ask the ones that died let's see which tips they will give us. You're talking about a nuclear bomb attack as if the probability for us to stay alive was greater than the probability to die.

1. Seth Winter profile image80
      Seth Winterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Depends on where you live. I'm Northern California...I figure I'm pretty safe unless I get fallout from LA/SF.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Realistically very few people would survive a nuclear strike to their country over the long term.  The plan was there mainly to provide a feeling or control over the situation (which was largely illusory).

1. profile image0

Right...and to deal with the aftermath---and the survivors who were outside of the "kill" zone of a Soviet target as there would be survivors.

6. profile image0
    mbuggiehposted 10 years ago

If my information and assessments are inaccurate, then please, list and annotate the secondary and primary sources that illustrate those specific inaccuracies and that offer contradictory factual information and contradictory assessments.

OK, but wait a week or so. I'm busy packing up my home and moving at the moment and that takes priority over an argument with somebody who is so convinced he is right that it'll be a waste of my time any way.

1. profile image0

I'll be waiting for the sources...thanks!

OK, but meanwhile you might like to tell me why the USSR felt it necessary to put weapons into Cuba.

1. profile image0

SOME FIRST THOUGHTS:

Krushschev's perception that Kennedy was weak and unable and/or unwilling to stand up to Soviet aggression in the western hemisphere---and that nuclear weapons parked in Cuba and aimed at the US would force Kennedy to relinquish control of West Berlin; Krushchev's concerns about growing missile gap---with USSR on losing end, and how that was affecting his domestic political survival; Krushchev's worries about losing Castro as an ally---an ally who provided an offensive foothold in the western hemisphere (for the USSR) and just 90 miles from the US.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)