I Need Help Improving My Hub

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (12 posts)
  1. profile image0
    moviesreviewsposted 10 years ago

I received a low rating for this hub -- http://moviesreviews.hubpages.com/hub/R … Fear-Movie -- This rating is way below any of my other hubs and I am just wondering why. I have no idea what I may be missing or what I need to improve on. This hub is actually the longest one I have made and took a while to complete.

1. ChristinS profile image39
      ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Your overall hub layout is nice, there are a few things I think you can do to improve it.  First of all, it's not uncommon for a newly published hub to score low initially. 

Your photos are not properly attributed - a big factor. Make sure you properly source/credit your photos and look for that info in the learning center.

You have a lot of youtube clips down the side, these can work great, but I would suggest not pushing everything over to the side. Perhaps include a favorite clip or trailer in the main part of your hub.  Also, there are photos and clips "stacked" no space or text really between and that appears a little cluttered.  I like to stagger elements in my hub.

The writing is great smile - the only thing I would suggest is tweak your subheadings a bit.  The top one for instance to make it more search friendly you might want to change it from "One of the top rated Richard Gere movies of all-time" to something short and more concise - "Top Rated Richard Gere Movies" perhaps - something like you might type into a search engine were you looking for info on Richard Gere movies.

1. profile image0
        moviesreviewsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Christin. I am going to make the changes you suggested. I am going to wait to see if there are any more responses so I can implement each change at one time.

Thanks again

2. HollieT profile image79
    HollieTposted 10 years ago

I think it is featured, isn't it? There are ads on it.

Sorry, I'm tired and didn't read the thread properly. I thought most hubs were given the same score to begin with. I can't see what the problem is with the hub, tbh.

1. profile image0

Thank you holly. I am open to criticism. I just think a score below 50 is a shock. I am not sure what I may be doing wrong.

1. HollieT profile image79
        HollieTposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. It might be because your subdomain is new, and there have been some changes recently to the way hubscore and hubberscore are calculated. (I think, I actually didn't read the blog post properly)

However, if you go to your feed, you'll see a blog post about the recent changes which might throw some light on the matter.  And I honestly wouldn't worry too much about the hubscore right now, your hub is featured so it obviously met QAP requirements and the score will probably rise over the next few days. smile

I'm sure more hubbers will be along soon who have more information than I do. smile

The only thing that I would add, is try to attribute your photographs properly. (there's an entry in the Learning Centre about how to attribute your images) In the future, there is a possibility that you may be awarded an Editor's Choice or Hub of the Day, but only if your images are attributed properly.

1. profile image0

If we receive images and trailers directly from the website, do we have to attribute anything? There is a webmasters toolkit download that allows the downloading of the aforementioned images

I don't think we have to attribute, but I think HP just wants you to confirm that you can legally use the image. If you do not attribute the image properly it will exclude you from various awards in the future. Not everyone's bothered about awards, of course, but it would be shame to miss out on opportunities.

Just to be on the safe side, it might be worth linking to the license, if you can. I think that's the correct way to do it, but honestly, I'm lazy and tend to only use images with easy to link to licence agreements. I'm really not sure about the trailers- I only ever use YouTube Videos. Perhaps Christy can come in and help out with that one! smile

1. profile image0

The license agreement did not come with the toolkit. The agreement is not on the website either.

I would enjoy the possibility of winning awards so I definitely want to win it right. Any additional input would be great. Thanks.

3. Millionaire Tips profile image92
    Millionaire Tipsposted 10 years ago

I have no idea why you got such a low rating. I think it deserves a higher rating.  But I'll offer my advice anyway!

First of all, movie reviews and other reviews tend not to do too well generally, since people will stop watching most of those movies as new ones come on the market.  So these hubs are not really evergreen.  I'm not saying not to do them - some people do quite well by hitting on a movie that no one else is talking about and getting a lot of hits while the movie is out, or providing a new slant, or hitting a new classic and getting longer term views.

There are some things that confused me in reading your summary of the movie. I would have preferred the use of past tense since it is more common.  "Gere is definitely winning in the beginning of the trial as he makes a case for a third person in the room at the time of the killing and raises doubt in the minds of the jury since the prosecution has yet to come up with a motive for the crime." It may be just me, and reading the sentence again, it does make sense as it is written, but it could be written more clearly.  There are so many subjects: Gere, third person, jury, prosecution, that I felt I was skipping from one to another and losing the original subject.

You said the actors portrayed their roles well, but I really didn't get a feel for what they did to do that.

1. profile image0

Appreciate the feedback and I will keep that in mind as I re-write it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)