What is Heaven like?

Jump to Last Post 1-26 of 26 discussions (79 posts)
  1. profile image0
    kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years ago

If you believe there is a Heaven, what is it like?

Do you have an idea of what it looks like, where is it?  What are we like? How does it function?

Just curious what your vision is, if there is a Heaven.

Thank You

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

We (all those who make it to Heaven) will have a "new" body, a spiritual body.

Revelation tells us Heaven is a city of "pure gold, like unto clear glass", (Rev. 21: 18), the wall is jasper, the foundations of the wall are garnished with many precious stones, the twelve gates are pearls, the street is pure gold;  the LOrd God and the Lamb are the temple of it;

it has no need of the sun or the moon, for the glory of God lightens it,  and the Lamb (Jesus) is the light; the gates are open 24/7;  there is no night there; nothing and nobody that defiles or works abomination or makes a lie will enter there.

Rev. 21: 4 says God will wipe away all tears from our eyes, there will be no more death, sorrow, nor crying, nor pain.  Rev. 22: 3 says there shall be no more curse,  and we will serve God/the Lamb;  we shall see His face, and His name will be in our foreheads.

There is more.  You should read Revelation if you haven't already!

Whether this is interpreted literally or Spiritually or both, this is an awesome picture that the Bible paints for us to look forward to!

1. nightwork4 profile image61
        nightwork4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

so what you are saying is that heaven is the perfect place for someone who craves wealth or at least the things that go with it. gold, gems, pearls etc. ok if you say so.

2. Dave Barnett profile image57
      Dave Barnettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Heaven like hell really depends on your perspective. On the first page of the Bible when God creates everything, there is no mention of a creation called"Hell", Second, when God was done, he stepped back and said that all he had created was good. Third, in looking at the text shows that the firmament of heaven is that which starts where the surface of the earth ends, so we walk UPON the earth, but we are walking THROUGH heaven. Both are what we have made of them.

1. profile image0
        kimberlyslyricsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you smile

2. profile image0
        EnglishMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I felt the need to comment. It's so rare when somebody gets it right, Dave.

3. mohitmisra profile image60
      mohitmisraposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Heaven is a dimension of the Light,supremely intelligent,encompassing all ,with no beginning and no end and time doesn't exist.This Light which is our home, source , god is pure love,something one cannot compare with anything on earth,supreme bliss.
      You are One,The Light.

"When do I see,meet God?
      Whenever you really decide to ,
      When you want nothing."

As  one has desires he or she will materialize to fulfill it.I like the Shaman term we co-create.
      Thoughts are the foundations of our universe,they materialize.

One need to meditate and in meditation give up, let god and die.

"Focus between your eyebrows with intense concentration,
      Then will come a deadly confrontation."

Dont worry One cannot die. smile

1. profile image0

cool. Thanks

4. Dave Barnett profile image57

Well, if some one would pick up the trash and get rid of the rest of the crap we don't need, it kinda looks like here, instead we'd rather it looks like HELL

5. Sassypoetic profile image59
      Sassypoeticposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Bible clearly states.. Their is going to be a beautiful paradise right here on earth... Just as he intended for Adam and Eve to live happy in perfect bodies before they sinned against God... God promises a new earth and new heaven.. Which is not far off... We are living in the very last days.. God made us to live on earth forever... I have no desire to go to Heaven if I can live on earth forever and be perfect.. With no sickness, dying, criying, killing, welcoming our love ones back from the dead... turning young.. Of course some people will go to heaven.. 144.000 who have been bought from earth to be associate kings and priests..

Revelation 5:9,10; 14:... They will help God's son Jesus rule in heaven over the earth... Acts 1:6 11; Luke 19:11, 12, 15,... Only spirit persons are in the heavens.... I look forward to living on earth in a perfect world that is sure to come..

6. britneydavidson profile image60
      britneydavidsonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

everyone says as per there thinking and what they have read --but real heaven no one can define for that God has to come here and tell us--hahaha!!!

1. mohitmisra profile image60

All spiritual books define heaven as a divine Light or God,a place of absolute bliss.

1. britneydavidson profile image60

but i cant trust on this spiritual books

Christianity -calls it the Light.
            Islam- Nur-divine light.
            Hinduism-Brahamajyoti
            -Brahma=god=jyoti=Light.  smile

1. Rishy Rich profile image72
              Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Actually Islam tells a lot more than that...Its a place where each man gets seventy beautiful virgins. Their virginity is restored after each sexual intercourse which means they are virgin for eternity. Thats not all, its said that light will reflect from their teeth & wine will pour from their vagina neutral I always felt that a psychotic pervert wrote it! Other than that, The islamic heaven also talks about wine, palaces, gardens.

On the contrary, Buddhism doesnt talk about any physical heaven neither mentioned any place like heaven. It only talked about a state which could be compared to heaven but it souldnt be

Its metaphorical and is not to be taken literally.

The state of Buddha hood is heaven,there is no difference. smile
                Buddha gained enlightenment or nirvana,enlightenment is one who has become the light,god,heaven.,home,source. smile

1. Rishy Rich profile image72
                  Rishy Richposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not exactly...Buddha actually made fun of Gods. Its a mistake that most people do by taking Nirvana & God as the same thing. Buddha felt that like Humans, Gods are also a higher entity bound in the Maya of this world & needs to attain Nirvana too. Nirvana can be compared with nonexistence not light. It has never been compared to light or any source, thats misinterpretation. But to understand nirvana you have to learn the positive & important side of nonexistence first which Buddha tried to portrayed already. State of Buddha hood is to get free from this world, from every type of world including heaven & to achieve nonexistence, its completely different than heaven smile

This is Hindu philosophy three stages man then god-man and then god.

Nirvana can be compared with nonexistence not light- he was an enlightened one .Heaven r god is the Light its reality and not a misinterpretation.
                    Call it the void,the state of Buddha hood is to be one with the Light or heaven,enlightenment.

2. britneydavidson profile image60

as there are lot of spiritual books available in market with different - different views/

Yes but this dimension of god o the light or heaven is the same..

7. Freeway Flyer profile image82
      Freeway Flyerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If it exists, it is probably relative. My perfect place, after all, may differ from someone else

8. Hollie Thomas profile image62
      Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yes, there will be no judgements or dicrimination, and atheists and the religious will stop arguing. The big G will say, "Who dared to suggest they could speak on my behalf?" Still, I wouldn't know, I'm an atheist. lol

9. Ericdierker profile image45
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I went out three times. A ski accident, a horse incident and Chemotherapy. Heaven is not a place. It is a space I want to go to. But I must be bad for I keep getting sent back. Forget scripture, forget hell versus heaven. Heaven is when we let go and stop struggling. There is a peace that is good. Now my momma did not have it so well --- she fought like hell to stay alive, ,,, Well that looked like hell.
      Heaven is a space that is rest. I just love my life and living. I do not want to leave. But I know what is on the other side for I have seen it. It is waiting for your.

2. SomewayOuttaHere profile image61
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 13 years ago

it's right here...all around us

http://www.austinlehman.com/filebin/images/tripPhotos/Banff_primary.jpg

1. profile image0
      EnglishMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

SomewayOuttaHere has also nailed it.

1. prey profile image67
        preyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so very true
        big_smile

3. profile image0
    china manposted 13 years ago

If it existed as the religious fanatics would have us believe that the rest of us are not going to - it would be full of them and more appropriately called a mental asylum.

1. Dave Barnett profile image57

Well, I've found that judgement runs thick in the church, and most of them aren't going where they think they are. The bible says that. SURPRISE!!! And I fall under the heading of Radical God

1. keysrus profile image60
        keysrusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The world as we know it is coming to an end. I should be dead for all my sin of this earth. I remember you and a blond 335. Soon the world will change and I write about what the Bible says. His ways are not of ours and ours are not of His! Look closely to the world being shaken to its very core. May we live in interesting times is curse but God can and will make right on it all. Dave we go back a long way, and I agree that denomination pushes us away. I just keep reading the manual to life. The Bible. Take care and heaven is beyond any mans imagination....says so in the good book. I am truly blessed by God, and we did not get this far for nothing. Mike

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
          A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Seems more of a doomsday manual.

4. profile image0

Thanks for your views so far, I am trying to write a hub touching on this topic, and you all are helping a lot.
    big_smile

1. profile image56
      exorterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if you check the real meanings of the greek words that describe heaven,
      there is no street of gold, there is a large area of gold, the throne would be in the middle of that, the twelve gates are around the large golden area

5. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

The idea of "heaven" being single and all-encompassed into one place defeats the reasoning of agency and individuality.  Each of us is different with different motives.  Two righteous individuals cannot have exactly the same intents in their actions.  However, will one of the righteous individuals be denied the Kingdom of God over the other righteous one?  NO!  There are varying degrees of heaven.  A glory compared to the brightness of the stars.  Another glory compared to that of the moon.  Yet another compared to that of the sun.  Each of these contain happiness beyond what we experience here.  We are to strive for the top though.

1. profile image0
      Brenda Durhamposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"varying degrees of heaven"...?

Drat it, goldenpath, this isn't the right thread to debate that; otherwise, I'd tell you how wrong you are! LOL

(sigh) maybe another time another place.

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then Brenda, how do you explain this:

2 Corinthians 12:2
        I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven—whether in the body or out of the body I do not know, God knows.

If there is only one heaven, this scripture shouldn't exist.

6. profile image0

big_smile

7. Arthur Fontes profile image73
    Arthur Fontesposted 13 years ago

I dunno what it looks like but I hope there are not long lines at the bathrooms?

1. profile image0

LOL  and lots of parks where you can poop anywhere you want and no leashes exist.  And of course a multitude of never ending bones

Thanks A

lol

1. Dave Barnett profile image57

Why do you want to poop anywhere?

1. profile image0

cause he's a dog.

8. profile image0
    Precious Williamsposted 13 years ago

Many years ago, I was a nurse and saw people die.  Their spirits left their body and I had a feeling that they were on a journey somewhere, but I didn't know where.  However, I rather think that heaven is what ever people want it to be.  Personally, I don't want it to be anything and I especially don't want anything for eternity!

9. profile image0
    EnglishMposted 13 years ago

I followed the advice given by Jesus, "Seek and you will find." If you know what I mean, Kimberlyslyrics?

10. Rafini profile image82
    Rafiniposted 13 years ago

What is Heaven like?  I don't know, but I'll be sure to let you know after I get there!  lol

Seriously though, my idea of Heaven is perfection.  Nothing will be wrong, everything will be as it's supposed to be.

11. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

In heaven there is no beer, that's why we drink it here, and when we're gone from here, all out friends will be drinking all the beer! smile

1. earnestshub profile image81
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I knew this would come to beer. Many things do. smile

1. profile image0

but we need peanuts, can't have beer without peanuts lol

2. nightwork4 profile image61
      nightwork4posted 13 years agoin reply to this

another reason i don't want to go to heaven . NO BEER , that's just wrong.

12. profile image52
    ~Shakila~posted 13 years ago

u cannot imagine how heaven is like...its beyond ur imaginations....in islam religion, God told tat no one can ever imagine how heaven is like....and u can ask anything or watever tat u wish for wen ur in heaven n u will get it n yea even BEER haha n even God told tat any questions about religious u can find it in the holy Quran book but tat in islam

God told tat no one can ever imagine how heaven is like.

This is where the question arises was Muhammad enlightened or did he get all his knowledge from an angel?

If he was not enlightened then he didn't have direct contact with god or heaven.
      Sometimes I believe he was enlightened and the angel part is not real.

13. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

I think heaven, like hell, is mostly a state of one's mind. You can be in the most ideal circumstances and still be miserable. It only stands to reason that if there is an after life, that what we have in our minds and souls in this life we will take to the next. How can it all possibly and suddenly be reversed to a heaven or hell?

I think heaven and hell are with us in this life and the next as a result of what we are, what we think and what we do. This life is a heaven or hell depending on us. And so is the next, if there is one.

"When we finally come to our senses we never return to this material world,this painful playground we mistakenly call home" Krishna

Pain is inevitable for all  in this dimension,so this dimension cannot be heaven.
      Sickness,heartache,old age too much pain to be called heaven. smile

Love can catapult one to great joy,but its nothing compared to God or heaven.

1. Daniel Carter profile image63
        Daniel Carterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Then how can one know the surety of a God or heaven?
        It seems to me the best anyone can do is simply hope for it. I don't see much evidence of it, otherwise.

It has to be experienced.

2. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is no evidence for it. Not one speck! smile And why would there be?
          God made himself, then became his own son and killed himself?
          Totally ridiculous and insane beliefs from a pile of old stories from the most unreliable source known to man.

A sky fairy who hates and kills those who don't believe in it?

Wottalottarot!

14. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Most theologians agree that it's A LOT like this...

http://www.sportingnews.com/images/178392/article.jpeg

15. Sab Oh profile image55
    Sab Ohposted 13 years ago

"If you believe there is a Heaven, what is it like?"

There was this girl from Chicago years ago...

1. Greek One profile image63
      Greek Oneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Julie right??  From the South side??

1. Sab Oh profile image55
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Nah, another one

16. andygrant profile image60
    andygrantposted 13 years ago

Heaven is like a beautiful valley surrounded by mountains with a lake of hot water in between.

17. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

What is heaven like? Simply imagine the Earth empty without a single person on it, then see nature in it's full glory of beauty.

Then you might figure it out. wink

Otherwise, the "heaven" spoken of in religious scripture is out of context. wink

I don't think that makes sense.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

To you, I believe it. lol

As long as you believe in something...

18. pisean282311 profile image62
    pisean282311posted 13 years ago

where ever children are seen playing..that is heaven..

They'd better keep their damn heaven off my lawn!

1. pisean282311 profile image62
        pisean282311posted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol

19. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 13 years ago

Heaven is even worse than hell.

Full of religionists! smile

20. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 13 years ago

Sure it doesn't look like this?

I think you will find it does big_smile
    http://mono.whatevz.net/images/The_Simpsons-Homer_in_Land_of_Chocolate_gNL3wp.gif

21. starme77 profile image77
    starme77posted 13 years ago

Its a bar - with out a bunch of weirdos - on the beach with tons of georgous naked dudes runnin around smile

22. megs78 profile image59
    megs78posted 13 years ago

I think i've said this before, but I have heard tell that heaven will be like one giant orgasm that never ends...among other things.  Wouldn't that be great?

But really, I don't even try to imagine what heaven may be, other than that I really, really want to go there someday smile

23. yellowstone8750 profile image60
    yellowstone8750posted 12 years ago

keysrus, you did not answer the question.

1. keysrus profile image60
      keysrusposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It is written in the Bible that the Kingdom of Heaven are streets of gold and the gates are indeed pearly. Also it is written if you believe in the good book as I do, that there is no sorrow, just happiness, a glorius light, never darkness. Most of all though it is said that no man of this earth can really understand the reality of Heaven as the Kingdom is beyond any mortal man's understanding. So really until I take the train I will not know. I can only have my faith which upholds me while we shall not know our day nor hour. Faith...the evidence of all things unseen. I hope you are not angry with me at my thoughts.

1. yellowstone8750 profile image60
        yellowstone8750posted 12 years agoin reply to this

To each their own. Thanks for the reply.

24. Zelkiiro profile image87
    Zelkiiroposted 10 years ago

According to the Bible, it's a creepy, creepy place where mindless drones do nothing but gather around the great throne and worship God. Nonstop. Forever.

25. profile image0
    Brenda Durhamposted 10 years ago

I can tell ya what heaven won't be like.
    It is a real place,  and it won't be a place where someone thinks it's creepy nor boring nor where someone tells ya to forget Scripture,  nor will it be a place where people bump old threads just for the opportunity to diss the Bible and the Maker of Heaven.

26. spiritualpoet profile image60
    spiritualpoetposted 3 years ago

Heaven is a different dimension one of pure bliss, love, timeless, no beginning and no end.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)