Editing difficulties.

Jump to Last Post 1-1 of 1 discussions (28 posts)
  1. old albion profile image61
    old albionposted 10 years ago

Hi everyone.
    Please can someone help me. Several of my hubs seem to have changed their heading. They have all switched to; Education and Science. I click edit when on the hub, it goes to the edit page where it shows the proper category. I then press done editing and it goes back to Education and Science.

Secondly all my advertising has disappeared other than Amazon and Ebay modules. I am properly signed up, I have been on the pages for nearly 2 years but now but all is blank. Unfortunately I am not really computer literate, sometime the easiest things are difficult. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.
    Graham.

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this
        old albionposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hello again Writer Fox. Thanks again for your help. I shall check them out today. I do appreciate your assistance,
        Graham.

2. old albion profile image61

Hi again Writer Fox. Thank you so much for your assistance, you can see from comments below that I have managed to sort it out.
        Regards.
        Graham.

2. Free Gamers profile image66
      Free Gamersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One thing I wouldn't do is to keep editing hubs. For some reason Google seems to hate it. I have another account that I was frequently editing to make improvements to. Once I finished editing, after a day or two my hubs would disappear from Google for their keywords. Also, sometimes my hub would be unpublished, even though I never touched the unpublish button. 

Another thing I noticed is as soon as one of my hubs disappeared from Google search for a certain keyword, somebody else's hub from hubpages using the same, or similar keyword would take my hubs position in Google. This has happened a couple of times already.  :-/

And another thing, even though I make improvements to a hub, correcting the grammar and other things, I get marked down for it. One of my hubs went from a score of 85 to a score of 72 after correcting grammar mistakes. How does that work?

Hi FreeGamers.Thanks for your interest and advice. I am treading carefully at the moment checking out Writer Foxs' advice. I'll keep you posted. It really seems problematical at times.
        Graham.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
        The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Free Gamers
        When you corrected the grammar errors did you check for new keywords in each sentence as you did it?

1. Free Gamers profile image66

I didn't add or take away any keywords in my articles, if that's what you're asking. I corrected other misspelled words throughout the body.

None of my keywords were misspelled.

Sorry, you'll have to elaborate on what you meant by "check for new keywords in each sentence".

One of my hubs was ranking on page 1, page 2, and page 3 for three different keywords. After editing and waiting for it to update for a few days, the hub was nowhere to be seen for those keywords in Google, only the main title.

A game tutorial hub I wrote on this account with over 2500 words ended up on page 79 of Google for the keyword I was going for, with that keyword density being just 1%. I recently stripped it down to 1700 words and upped the main keyword density to 2.58% which put it on page 58.

Unless I get it under 1000 words, and up the keyword density even further to somewhere near the 5% mark, I don't think it's ever going to see page 1.

They say that writing extremely long hubs with low keyword density is the way to go to get a good rank in Google, but my recent testing is showing the exact opposite. Hubs under 800 words with a keyword density of over 4% do much better than longer hubs.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60

All that I meant was perhaps that changing the grammar also altered the 'meaning' of the keywords on Google. With the change of grammar maybe a couple of additional keywords need to be added to the previous ones. Also Google might be taking their time to review it before they place it back on the list.

I logged into my other account today and seen it's happened to yet another hub. One I haven't edited at all. That was on page 2-3 for various keywords too. It's nowhere to be seen now for any of them. It only shows by typing in the exact title.

I looked up both of your Hubs and found one on Google - which one is the problem?

It isn't this account that's the problem, Examiner. It's another account of mine I've been discussing in this forum topic.

To be honest, I'd rather of sent you a pm with more detail about that account, with a list of the keywords I was going for. I'm not putting them here for everyone to eyeball.

Is that being paranoid? Maybe. I don't care! lol

3. The Examiner-1 profile image60

old albion
      When you open your Hub to edit it - directly above where your content is there is listed 'Topic' section where your Hub is listed in. You can edit this by clicking 'Edit' (in blue) at the end of that.
      On the right side if you move down until you see 'Display Options' and click on that you will see 'Hub Group'. If that is blank you can type where you want it - if it is the same place as 'Topic'. (50 characters allowed)
      What the 'Topic' says may be why your Hub goes back to where you mentioned. See if it matches what you said.

Thank you The Examiner. I shall attempt to follow your advice. I will keep you posted thanks again, for your interest.
        Graham.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi old albion,

We've made some recent changes to the links on your Hubs. Instead of linking to HubPages and our Topic Pages, they now link to your profile and your Hubs on the same subject. That's why your Hubs are only showing the top-level Topic option.

Hi Christy. Thank you for your message. This seems ridiculous but I do not understand your directions. You say the top level topic option. I have hubs which have nothing to do with Education and Science which have gone into this category. Please can you explain exactly what I need to do to get them back at the top of the hub please. I wonder why you made these changes in the first place. Although I do my best on hubpages a computer person I am not. Thank you in advance.
        Graham.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image91

We made these changes because we wanted to focus on authors and make it more likely that someone reading one of your Hubs will visit more of your other writing.

Hopefully this explanation will help: Our Topics on HubPages are like a tree. We have about 20 "top-level" Topics, which are the main Topics (like Education and Science, Health, Travel, etc). Those top-level Topics are split into more subtopics. For example, Education and Science splits into History, Math, Philosophy, Teaching, Physics, etc. Those Topics then each split off into even more specific subtopics. For example, Math splits off into Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, etc. So Calculus, Math, and many other Topics are all categorized under the top-level Topic of Education and Science.

Since most Hubbers don't have enough Hubs to fill up every single subcategory on HubPages, the Hubs on your profile are only grouped under the top-level topics, which is why you're seeing Education and Science listed. You can always change the Topic your Hub appears under by editing that Hub and changing its categorization, but it will still only show a top-level Topic.

I know it's a lot to digest, but I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Christy Kirwan
            Does that mean that he needs to look at his profile to understand this completely?

That's a very good point, Examiner. Looking at his profile should help.

As you can see in this screenshot, there's a section in your profile for every top-level Topic you've written a Hub in. This allows readers to sort your content by subjects they're more likely to be interested in:
              http://blog.hubpages.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Screen-shot-2013-09-24-at-12.40.10-PM.png

Thank you Chirsty, I did not know that myself. I hope that Graham sees your post too.

Thank you for your assistance Examiner. I have got it now and have made a change. I still do not understand the reasoning of the top line only. I has brought many diverse hubs under the same category. Thank you again.
                  Graham.

By the top line I meant in 'Edit' I meant the very first line (on the left side) at the very top, at the left of line says 'Topic'.
                    Did you get the message from Christy about checking your profile to see how many Hubs that you have in what subjects?

2. old albion profile image61

Hi Christy. Thank you for your valued assistance. I have now changed one hub and returned it to where it was so I am able to move on . However, there is one last point. Why the changes on my hub? I have checked other hubs and they remain the same with their full headings. I realise you will not want to get involved with on going discussion, but a reply to this question will settle my mind. Again thank you for your assistance.
                Best wishes.
                Graham.

No problem! smile

The Hubs that still have links to HubPages and to Topic Pages instead of the author's profile and his/her related Hubs are Hubs that have been selected as Editor's Choice articles. You can read more about the Editor's Choice program in the FAQ here: http://hubpages.com/faq/#Editors-Choice

Thank you for your reply Christy I  do appreciate your effort. It would seem that this change is a downgrading then, Which disappoints me. I seem to have several hubs on various subjects which are totally diversified, yet all under the heading of Education and Science, With a downgrading and a reduction in exposure it seems less worthwhile somehow. Thank you again for your assistance.
                    Regards.
                    Graham.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)