New guidelines for religious forum threads (by Beth37).

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (124 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

There are some keywords/phrases that have been way overused in the religious forum and a new ban has been set against their further usage.

Keywords to avoid in the future:
    Delusional.
    Unicorn and or purple dragon.
    Santa Claus.
    Interpretation.
    Crusades.

Also the number one phrase found most annoying by readers:
    "Now that's the pot calling the kettle black."

If we could all adhere to these new forum rules no further action will be sought.

Thank you,
    Mngmnt

1. aliasis profile image75
      aliasisposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Um, what. Are you... actually management? Otherwise, where did you hear this? Because those words are pretty relevant to religious discussion, and I seem to notice that they are all on the "atheist" side. Shall we also say the words "Jesus", "Abomination", and "You're going to hell" are banned? Also, considering that your profile is very religious ("every should reach out to God") I'm kind of getting the impression that this is your own hope. If Hubpages is not a religiously affiliated site, there's no reason why any "word ban" should be implemented, unless those words are derogatory or direct verbal attacks are involved. Certainly not a word like "Crusades" which is academic in nature!

Also LOL when has "purple dragon" ever been used.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, Im actually mngmnt, though more often involved with grocery than HP's staff, though Im sure they'll claim me as their own.

I tried to include both sides... I felt that "hell" could be used for both sides and "Love and Faith" seemed like weird things to declare as intolerable so I came up with "interpretation" on the side of the Believers with Santa Claus and the actual black pot/kettle thing being used often by both sides. Now the time has come, let's hear your banshee-scream my friend!

But the list is clearly biased one way, without exception. And whether or not arguments are overused, they are still valid - seems like you're trying to nix all arguments that non-believers have against Christians in these forums, such as questioning belief in supernatural figures (hence the common "Santa Claus" argument), historic atrocities that Christians have committed ("Crusades") and calling out hypocrisy ("pot calling the kettle black"). "Interpretation" is certainly not a pro-Christian key word, either, as non-believers would argue that there are many interpretations of the Bible, and not all are literal.

I find this pretty unbelievable, not to mention incredibly biased toward your own faith - for, if my memory is correct, you too have participated in religious debate forums. Furthermore, considering these words are all non-offensive (with the possible exception of delusional, depending on the context), this seems just ridiculous.

If you are banning things, direct attacks and derogatory words would be understandable ("you're going to hell" seems a lot more attacking than anything you've stated). And there's certainly a difference between "You are stupid and delusional" (direct attack) and "Your argument is stupid and delusional" (not an attack on the person). But trying to ban arguments that you don't like is blatantly restrictive, and, I feel, doesn't represent Hubpages' encouragement of open discussion and idea exchange.

EDIT: So you made a "joke" thread... trying to convince people this was true, or what? Wow, even less respect from me.

1. profile image0

I believe you are a slightly more literal person than I am. Nice to meet you.

Frankly, this post just sums up a lot of the "religious argument" on this website. I think posing as management and trying to "ban words" is less a joke and more wishful thinking on your part.

Honestly, just what?

1. profile image0

Just hello. smile

2. A Troubled Man profile image59
                A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beth should be banned for that.

Frankly, that does seem much more like a bannable offense than using "Santa Claus."

Maybe this thread can be reported.

1. profile image0

You should report it... my bathrooms get much cleaner when I am banned.

2. profile image0

Oh you thought mngmnt stood for management? No, it stands for:
                  My name garners minimal naughty talk. (It's just my way of asking others not to gossip about me.)

2. profile image0
              jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is this the thin-end-of-the-wedge for a gay marriage?

+1

1. profile image0

If I make a dad/daughter joke will it make you more angry?
              Then you would have to go on Eric's thread and admit to being angry though.

If not affiliated, certainly Hubpages staff protects the religious.

I referred to Muhammad as a liar and was banned for 4 weeks.

Beth called me a stalker, amongst other names and continues to post freely.

1. profile image0

You were acting kind of stalkery.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59

You know that's entirely false.

It was YOU who came onto my thread and trolled it. You didn't respond to the points made, whereas I came onto your thread and did respond to the points made. You know that and I know that. So, it would behoove you to stop fabricating stories of being stalked.

Regardless of that, calling me a name goes entirely against the rules here, yet nothing happened, you were free to continue to say whatever you wanted.

I merely referred to Muhammad, who is not a member here, as a liar and was banned.

Either Hubpages staff protects the religious, or they are serious hypocrites.

1. profile image0

I answered every paragraph, point by point, it didn't satisfy you.

I didn't call you names.

You were acting stalkery.

This is a joke-thread.

I have a headache.

Do you have any Advil?

PS, Im sure there is a member here named Muhammad and I would be pissed too if you called me a liar... oh wait...

Wow, you'll say anything that isn't true. Funny how you get away with so much here. It's nauseating.

1. profile image0

Sounds like you also need some Advil. sad

1. Will Apse profile image87
                    Will Apseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sorry Beth, you are on your own with these 2.

Did you steal their baby or something?

2. profile image0

Was that Stalkery as in Dandelion?  Or Daffodil? Or beautiful Red Rose?

2. Will Apse profile image87

You are talking to a Queen here. I am personally looking for a reliable headsman. And he will visit every corner of Queen Beth's queendom. So look a little sheepish when you say stuff like that.

I am takin gnames. And sometimes gnomes.

A drama queen?

2. profile image0

I knight you Sir Awesome-Pants.
            Bow so I can bonk you on both sides of your head with my blunt scepter.

3. profile image0
        Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

There are two hubbers here that have invisible purple dragons as pets. One in the attic and the other in the garage

1. profile image0

Hahaha.  Must investgate my attick!

2. forbcrin profile image60
      forbcrinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ha, ha, ha, how about the authors grow up about religious postings... I respect their right to be "delusional", so they should respect my right to express myself. If they are so touchy, they should form a by "invitation only forum", or ask Santa Clause to create one for them.
      They are welcome to live in a word with Unicorns and purple Dragons, but they should not ask the rest of us do the same.
      Your interpretation of the reality is at least strange, if not down right comical.
      If they want to still fight crusades, they should have learned by now that all of them lost, including the one started by GW...

I suspect that your post was an attempt to comical writing, and I have to admit that it is successful...

1. profile image0

Like a pie in the face! You got me good Mister!

2. profile image0

Like a pie in the face! You got me good Mister!

3. BuddiNsense profile image60
      BuddiNsenseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What about big foot and green dragon?

1. profile image0

No such things.

1. BuddiNsense profile image60
          BuddiNsenseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is not what my "godspel" says!

4. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol

But, seriously. Did you honestly believe atheists have a sense if humor? You are so naive. smile

1. profile image0

Epic fail on my part. sad

1. profile image0

Don't feel bad. It's happened to quite a few here who started tongue in cheek threads. The lack of humor is one of the primary draw backs of atheism.

1. profile image0

Surely there are a few less literal Atheist types out there?

1. profile image0

I'm sure the lion's share of atheists are a joy to be around. Not so much the ones who spend all of their spare time policing religious forums. They appear the 'all work and no play' types.

1. profile image0

lol

2. ChristinS profile image38
            ChristinSposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What do you mean lack of humor? I'm deeply offended that you think I have a lack of humor ... not really wink I'm a pretty laid back atheist actually lol.

1. profile image0

You are special. smile

2. profile image0

What if I'm a Never Born, Never Dead, Fundamental Atheist?  (Please don't laugh!)

1. profile image0

I don't know what any of that means. You've gone too deep.

1. profile image0

Just being flippant Beth. Not sure what flippant means, either, but it sounds intelligent to me!

That's hilarious and a lot to ponder all in one smile

3. profile image0

Sorry. I simply had to laugh when I came into the thread. The whole thing was obviously a joke.

1. profile image0

I am going to join Melissa on Lithium and soon none of this will matter.

1. profile image0

Is that somewhere close to Mars?  How do we get there?  Virgin Atlantic?

5. profile image0
      MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But I love delusional unicorn's AND purple dragon's interpretation of Santa Claus's crusades! NOOO! Guess I'm to be banned! Goodbye cruel world! Ack, cough, choke, *disappears* smile

1. bBerean profile image62
        bBereanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Has anyone seen Mystic?  I thought I saw her here a few minutes ago.
        That was an awful belch, by the way.  What have you been feeding that dragon?

1. profile image0
          MysticMoonlightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

*Pokes head back in* Ok, I'm a terrible actress, first to admit it! But unicorns and purple dragons (and dragons in general) are still awesome so no promises that I'll be able to suppress talking of them. Just look the other way folks....

6. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Santa Claus is a delusional purple dragon who rode a unicorn during the crusades. At least that's my interpretation.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are mistaken.  Santa Claus has a white beard; dragons have to beard (snorting fire would burn it off).  Santa cannot be a dragon.

1. profile image0

I'm right and you are wrong.

1. profile image0
            Deepes Mindposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You're both wrong.. Santa is an ice dragon

1. profile image0

That's Kool, Deepes

2. profile image0

Everyone knows unicorns were pre-crusade. Don't start making stuff up.

1. profile image0

Unicorns (a word that should not be used) have always existed and will always exist.

ChristinSposted 10 years ago

But, but the whole pot have you met kettle or pot calling the kettle black is so apt in many of those types of arguments.  I guess I shall have to continue to refrain from such debates then smile

1. profile image0

Or come up with new catch phrases.

"You're not the boss of me!" is still usable.

Also, "Hear my banshee-scream!" can be used by both sides when teetering on the edge of being nearly banned.

1. ChristinS profile image38

I am tempted to almost get banned now just for the banshee scream - excellent. smile

1. profile image0

Ill summon  the one who is able to make a tiny baby angry... then you can try it out.

2. profile image0

You could call them the Blot Pack! smile

As you might have guessed, I just got out of bed, it's 6.00am and the ground is covered with icy snow, and the wind is driving up off the Antarctic like it's got no where else to go... so excuse my brain if it's a bit crazy!

Good morning everyone!

1. profile image0

Good morning Jonny. smile

3. ChristinS profile image38

Wow guys seriously? Beth posted this in jest - she was joking.

And, you know that how?

If it were the other way round, do you actually think believers would consider it a jest or would they begin freaking out and tossing out the persecution card, calling us bullies and angry?

Uh, yup.

1. ChristinS profile image38

I'm an atheist - thanks for playing

1. profile image0

I can't believe I was cavorting with you as if you were a human being similar to me!

(That was also a joke as she actually is a human being similar to me. See how this works?)

Perhaps, what you write is not seen as a joke because it isn't humurous. In other words, to be funny, one has to actually be clever and witty. smile

1. profile image0

I slip and fall a lot as Im writing this stuff... maybe if you had a webcam...

Sorry, but I gave up on slapstick humor when I was a kid. I much prefer well written comedy with dialogue rather than banana peels.

1. profile image0

I don't really slip and fall. It would be hard to walk around with a laptop... how are you so incredibly literal? When someone says "the sky is falling", do you actually look up?

So, what you're stating is that everything you say should be taken as a joke?

Okay, will do, then.

2. profile image0
              Stevennix2001posted 10 years agoin reply to this

But isn't humor subjective though?  I mean what you might find funny, another person may not, and vice versa.  Therefore, who's to say what's witty and clever as all mediums of entertainment is completely subjective.

1. profile image0

Besides, it's obvious that Im completely hilarious to everyone from babies to old ppl. so...

Who's to say? Those who actually find well written, witty and clever entertainment as humorous, as opposed to those who would find humor in someone slipping on a banana peel.

This thread appears to be a banana peel for some contributors.

Exactly, which is why I see little to no humor in it.

2. profile image0

lol

2. profile image0

Again, you have to define to me what exactly you consider witty and clever humor though, as that's kind of vague.  By your reply, the only thing I can gather is that you don't find slapstick comedy to be clever or witty, which is understandable as it's not for everyone.  However, you still have yet to define to me what exactly you think witty and clever kind of humor happens to be.

Again, all humor and everything involving entertainment is purely subjective.  Because whatever you and your friends might think is considered clever and witty, there's no guarantee that everyone is going to feel the same way.

1. profile image0

How often does my humour miss the mark and fall right down a hole?

I do indeed see how it works. It's nice when people who simply think differently about the world can still get along, not be overly literal or get themselves all upset over what we call "dry humor".  wink I knew you were not saying anything offensive by the original post and some people take themselves way too seriously - regardless of their belief system lol.

It was a beautiful day outside today.  We had cake and coffee and enjoyed the sunshine.  I think more people should do that - the world would be a happier place. smile

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
              Reality Bytesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

See, this is where the problem lies.  Some of us prefer pie and tea!

JK  smile

1. profile image0

And some like to have their cake and eat it!  Personally, I love a cup of coffee, Latte style, but for eating I don't think you can beat a couple of scones, perfectly baked, with lashings of strawberry jam and clotted cream....you know that stuff?  It's made with fresh, unadulterated milk, full of cholesterol and goes cheesey after a couple of days, but delicious.
                This is a sort of religious indoctrination with me....wink

Did I call you a believer? Thanks for playing what?

1. profile image0

Twister.

2. profile image0

Not taking sides here, but in all fairness, she did mention several times in this thread that her op was made in jest.

But, not in the OP and well after the fact. How is that fairness? Shouldn't Beth have stated in the OP it was a jest? Are you saying we should be able to read her mind?

1. profile image0

That's a very fair point as well, and you're right she can't expect us all to read everything that she's thinking.  However, she did mention it after the fact though to explain herself, as you mentioned.  Doesn't that count for anything?

I don't think so considering Beth has posted some very nasty things here, equating non-believers to murderers and rapists, tossing out personal insults and name calling, in which one would certainly assume she was joking, but was in fact, dead serious.

1. profile image0

Uh... no I never said that, but this is not a religious forum thread so Im not getting into that with you.

Also yes, it would be nice if everyone read my mind, please and thank you... except.. only if you're over 18 cause sometimes I have issues.

Also, I hate slapstick humor, but anything over-the-top makes me laugh... although no one asked what made me laugh, we asked what made ATM laugh. So ATM, tell us what makes you laugh and we will do our best to tickle your funny bone.

Also, from now on, I am thinking about providing disclaimers on my posts so you can differentiate between the serious (2% of what I post) and the jokes (98% of what I post.)

1. Reality Bytes profile image75
                  Reality Bytesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is categorized under (Religion and Philosophy >> Discussions)?

1. profile image0

lol... not my intention. I guess there were no "pretend notifications from non authorized staff" forums available.

2. profile image0

Well if you say so.  Although i honestly don't see it that way, but I respect your opinion if that's how you feel.  Although you probably would've never liked my ex's family then, as their usual way of joking was calling each other names like "B*tch" and stuff like that. 

And take in mind, this was her own godfather saying this to her sister once right in front of me, yet that was considered a funny joke to them.  I didn't laugh, and they said that I lacked a sense of humor.  Although, I fail to see how a guy calling a girl that constitutes as a joke, but hey what the hell do i know? 
                  All I do is review films and follow the 3 ups.  "Show up.  Keep up, and shut up."  lol

1. profile image0

You're a great reviewer. I love your movie hubs.

4. profile image0
    epsonok0posted 10 years ago

For those that dont know. This is why I come to hubpages. LOL This is great. Dont stop. LOL oh GOD (or santa) I need an advil.

1. Act 3 profile image77
      Act 3posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Anvil works as well as advil when it comes to headbanging.

5. DzyMsLizzy profile image86
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

All I know is, from here on out, I'm staying far, far away from any thread to do with religion or politics--the two topics on Earth voted most likely to start an argument and engender misunderstandings and hard feelings.
    Most people, (myself included) have very strong opinions or beliefs on both topics, and a discussion (more likely an argument) in a forum thread is unlikely to change anyone's mind one way or another, and only ends up getting ugly.
    So, adios, religious threads/posts and ditto politics.

Y'all enjoy yourselves...  wink

1. IzzyM profile image87
      IzzyMposted 10 years agoin reply to this

But this subject was started by our new forum queen under Hubpages Community/ Discussions and not under THAT OTHER FORUM.

So it's alright, isn't it?

1. profile image0

*someone in the crowd mutters*
        I heard she wasn't assuming any responsibilities till she receives her first payout.

2. profile image0

Don't go! We're having cake *and pie... and someone's going to clot some cream.

1. profile image0
        epsonok0posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You know what beth. The lady robot in the game portal promised cake a lot. And we all see how that turned out. Youtube it if you dont know. LOL

1. profile image0

Ill take your word for it. smile

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
            Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Beth, you have left us without purpose in our story.  Don't you care anymore about the co-founders of our village? You are doing nicely here, but I think your literary talents are also needed elsewhere!

1. profile image0

lol. Im sorry! Ive never been good at group projects. I realized this in the 7th grade. So I started it and when it took off, I got to selfishly sit back and let others run away with it.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
                Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years agoin reply to this

sad it always happens. I get all into it and then no one else does. I really liked the beginning. I hope you will step back in once in a while. The story has me. I do not have it. I would also like Zelkiiro to come back. Oh well... If I continue alone, I hope no one minds.

1. profile image0

You're a writer! Of course you should keep writing! smile

2. Will Apse profile image87

On a bad day I can clot cream just by looking at it.
        I will give a try.

1. profile image0

Clotted cream is made from raw milk, as I understand it.   The milk is slowly warmed in a shallow pan to allow the cream to slowly float to the top.  When the surface of the cream cracks across, you scoop it off, put into a container and refrigerate.   It's thick and rich, goes well with scones, strawberries, raspberries, apple tart, etc. 
          Making your mouth water?

I miss cream teas in England. Not desperately, to be honest. But they are one of the great treat foods. Just occasionally to indulge in...

The one below looks just a little messy and decadent.
            http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3423/3906702579_df5cf5fe78_z.jpg

Mind you, only one of the true protestant races would imagine a cream tea was decadent.

1. profile image0

Mmm, that looks good.

6. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Oh my gosh! I just noticed they had to add my name to the title. Im sorry HP's staff! It seemed funny at the time.

7. fpherj48 profile image61
    fpherj48posted 10 years ago

Hey Dzy!!!    DITTO!!   I am with you, girl!   No "discussions" on Religion or Politics!  Total waste of time & talent that leads to many unpleasant, unnecessary, insulting "back & forth"....until everyone reaches the ole DEAD END..that....we should all understand these nonsense discussions lead to...each & every time!

8. ChristinS profile image38

I still want to know where to sign up for my purple dragon.  Purple is my favorite color and dragons are just cool.

1. psycheskinner profile image85
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Given that it is invisible you could just acquire a cheaper grey dragon and tell everyone it is purple.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)