What's considered "Going Viral" on HubPages?

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (47 posts)
  1. Kain 360 profile image91
    Kain 360posted 10 years ago

A couple years ago in 2011, I had a hub on another account that went up to 5000 views rapidly. Eventually it waned to about 1000-1300 views. Now after a couple years it gets about a few hundred views a day astonishingly. 

Would that hub be defined as "going viral?" I know it's not like 10 million views in a month, but for HubPages, would that be viral?

1. Rock_nj profile image90
      Rock_njposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The only Hub I have wrote that came close to going "viral" was one about the Facebook IPO.  I was really pleased to see 300 to 400 hits per day shortly after the Facebook IPO was announced.  I wrote it months earlier, and it was sitting at the top of Google' search results for "Facebook IPO Details".  I tried to do the same with the Twitter IPO, but there has been way too much competition from other writers writing about the Twitter IPO, and it has failed to even come close to the Facebook IPO Hub's success.

I think if you are getting 1,000+ hits per day and doing nothing to promote a Hub, I would consider that going viral.  It's obviously being spread around the Internet by people who like it.

2. passthejelly profile image72
    passthejellyposted 10 years ago

That is really vague and viral could mean anything.  Really depends

Kain 360posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I was just wondering as it was pretty insane at that time. I guess it is also a matter of opinion in some cases.

I heard of some hubber who got 10,000s of views on a hub per day for a time.

1. passthejelly profile image72
        passthejellyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah Idk the best I have ever got is 1200 consistent views per day for one hub.

2. julie51 profile image61
        julie51posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ey, fellow hubbers, there is a notification in my hubpages that one of my hubs will be featured  - editors' choice. How would I know which one will be or already featured.

3. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 10 years ago

In the past, I had a couple of occasions where I got close to 50,000 Hub views (on just one Hub) in a day.  By comparison, a couple thousand in a day isn't much.

In the greater scheme of the web, "going viral" is a million pageviews or more.

50,000 wow that's crazy!

Did those hubs do well with time?

1. barryrutherford profile image76
        barryrutherfordposted 10 years agoin reply to this

A few years ago a new hubber with just one hub on the Iphone got over  one Million hits!

1. WryLilt profile image87
          WryLiltposted 10 years agoin reply to this
          1. LongTimeMother profile image91
            LongTimeMotherposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yep! That's definitely viral. There's a new goal in life, lol.

2. Kain 360 profile image91

Wow. Did not expect a hub like that to get that many views!

It has a ton of comments!

It was done a year or more before the iPhone 5 came out - because there was no REAL information on the 5, lots of people were Googling it, but no information was out there.

2. julie51 profile image61
      julie51posted 10 years agoin reply to this

50,000 views in a day? Wow! You must be making good money.

4. agilitymach profile image92
    agilitymachposted 10 years ago

I just had one hub get about 15,000 views in one day - 25,000 views in two  or so days - 30,000 in a week.  I posted it a week ago.  For me, 30,000 views in a week with 10K Facebook likes is viral.  At its peak, it was being read by 120 people at any given moment.

I often have hubs earn 1,000 to 3,000 views a day with social media peaks, so I don't consider that viral  For someone else though, it could be viral.

For someone else, my measly 30,000 views in a week would be a drop in the bucket, and they wouldn't consider it viral.

I'm starting to think the term "viral" is very specific to the individual.

If you've had a hub go "viral" by your standards....CONGRATS!!

1. PegCole17 profile image93
      PegCole17posted 10 years agoin reply to this

hmm
      What's the beef? I'd be proud of having 100 views per day on ANY hub.
      Congratulations to each of you on your successful hubs, no matter the view count. It is an honor to be published and have our work out "there".

(Oh brother, I'm setting myself up with this one. Meddling in a hornet's nest.)
      BZZZZzzzzzz zzzz.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Id be happy to have 100 views per week on all my hubs combined.
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJ_R-G_i4Xk

Back to you, Beth...
          http://youtu.be/-DIETlxquzY
          smile

1. profile image0
            Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

haha. enjoyable... oddly enough, I just posted that quote as a status update on FB last week.

That's a real coe inkie dink, Beth. I like Stuart Smalley.♥

5. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 10 years ago

One of my stickmen hubs got nearly three views a day at its peak.  It was madness!  I'd get a comment every fortnight and could barely keep up with it.  In the end I had to see my doctor and he suggested I take a break.

LOL smile

2. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yeah right, I know what that feels like!! It's amazing smile

3. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I almost got that many views myself once.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'll probably get shot for saying this, but one thing that really bothers me is the people who get tens of thousands of views because they post on FB, Twitter and the like.  How do you compare those  with someone who is simply writing articles and getting views from Google, etc.  I'd like to think that what makes the difference in those numbers is that one person is really creating superb, informative articles while the other is not.  However, I doubt that's true.  When writing becomes a popularity contest, there is no way to determine the real value of an article.  I once had an article garner 10,000 views in a week...these were real views, not bloated ones from marketing techniques...but it was probably one of the dumbest articles I've ever written.  This whole numbers game makes no sense to me except to say that the quality of one's work is not necessarily linked to the views it receives.

1. agilitymach profile image92
          agilitymachposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Maybe before judging someone who gets 10s of thousands of views on an article, you should go read the article.  Mine is called "A New Study May Forever Change the Way We Train Our Dogs," and it got 30,000 views because it's filled with information on a new study and then goes into an examination of what that study may mean for the future of dog training.  The views came from a specific group of people INTERESTED in that particular study and dog training.  These weren't "bloated views from marketing techniques." In fact, several VERY famous dog trainers across the country have either shared it or put the link into their own blogs on the topic.

You totally misunderstand what a Facebook Fan Page is, I guess.  It's followers who don't want to sign up on HubPages.  That's it.  It's simply people who WANT to read what I have to say.  My followers are loyal and love my work.  I meet them at dog shows all over, and they are excited when I post a new article.  They aren't just people who share things because they like to share things.  These are savvy dog trainers who share information that they like.  Many of them are dog instructors who share my links on their business pages for their students.

It sounds like you're a bit angry because you don't have a good FB Fan Page following, but that's no reason to automatically dis those of us who do.  Build up your fan base and get some great social media bumps.  I find I can get two or three great FB bumps off of my articles over time.

BTW, another article of mine that got 20,000 FB views when it was released is "How a Dog's Color Vision Affects Canine Sport:  How a Dog Sees."  BTW, this one also gets some of the most Google traffic as well.  I get comments from agility competitors across the nation for this article all the time.

It's kind of offensive for you to say my articles do not contain superb information.  In fact, they are just the opposite.  If you read them, you would see that the information is even beyond what you understand - not being involved in dog training or agility.

At what point was I referring specifically to you?  And why are you so defensive?  I do not have a FB page or a Twitter account...never have.  I don't doubt that you personally may be an expert in your field who does intensive research.  So are many others here.  This site is loaded with outstanding writers, but very few of them spend their time bragging about their accomplishments again, and again and...oh yes, again!  As an example, Relache, who has been here for quite a long time and has done very well here, only mentions her successes in response to the comments of others...and she rarely mentions them at all.  She also has superb information in her articles, but I have never heard her mention that fact.  There are many like her, and if what I wrote is insulting, it certainly was not meant to be.  Some people write here for enjoyment, others for money....I just feel that getting huge views as the result of pushing them via marketing, while a smart financial move, does not indicate that those articles are necessarily better than those of people who do not push and manipulate.  It just means that many of them simply know how to play the game and are willing to take the necessary steps to make their work known.  If you are successful, I am happy for you...but you might want to slow down a bit when it comes to rubbing other writers noses in it every time you do well.  That's a bit insulting, also.

Whoa.  I beg your pardon.  I only mentioned my numbers in response to a thread about what is viral and IF you would have taken the time to read my post (which apparently you didn't), you would see that I said that 30,000 views is a drop in the bucket to some, but viral to me.  I did not brag about my numbers.  I was only showing that the term "viral" is relative.  I even congratulated the OP for his/her viral hub - whatever those numbers are.

Shame on you for suggesting that I'm "rubbing other writer's noses" in my success.  I don't view it at that huge of a success, dearie, as my first post indicates. 

You DID suggest that people who get social media spikes don't produce superb information, so that would indicate that someone like myself who does is putting out poor hubs.  Perhaps you'd like to restate that?

And I never, ever suggested that anyone who doesn't get views - whether off of Google or off of social media - doesn't produce good hubs.  I've read several creative hubs that I suspect don't get hits period, however they are well written works.  You suggest here that I don't believe that.  Where did you get that from?

BTW, of course what you wrote was meant to be insulting or you wouldn't have started it with, "I'll probably get shot for saying this..."  You knew perfectly well that indicating that hubbers who get social media spikes have hubs that don't include superb information would make other hubbers angry.

You said, "I'd like to think that what makes the difference in those numbers is that one person is really creating superb, informative articles while the other is not."

I cannot think that you didn't say that without knowing that would be insulting to those that make good use of a Facebook Fan Page.  I have no idea why you'd even post such a thing.

You obviously are spoiling for a fight, but I'm not playing your game.  You are angry.  Nobody else seems to be.  End of story.

I'm not spoiling for a fight and am more than willing to drop it.  I am still steaming about being told that I'm rubbing other writer's noses in my modest (and it is modest) numbers.  But I'll drop it.  LongTimeMother may be right.  Your post maybe "read wrong" from someone from my viewpoint.

6. LongTimeMother profile image91
    LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Without doubt there are lots of great writers with effective social media networks ... but similarly, there are lots of less effective writers with great networks, and lots of great writers with no social networks at all.

I don't think anyone should be insulted by exploring this topic. It looked to me like TT2 was using the 'extreme' in his example, which is understandable. What a shame you took it as a personal affront, agilitymach.  I certainly didn't consider TT2's comment was directed at you - or any writer of your calibre - when I was reading down the comments. Sometimes comments just 'cross'. I doubt it was deliberate.

Sadly I can't offer any comment on the topic of 'going viral'. None of my hubs have gone viral. sad

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

I regularly go viral with pinterest

2. LongTimeMother profile image91
      LongTimeMotherposted 10 years ago

Hi agilitymach. Certainly it was appropriate to mention your numbers on this thread. I think it was a very helpful answer to Kain 360's question. I think we all have to remember though that sometimes people respond to a question without reading everyone else's answers. On my 'feed' if I see a question, I only see the top two lines of another person's response and don't always click to read their entire comment. I just answer their question.  TT2's first comment just reads like a generic opinion.  Most hubbers like me would just view it like that.

BTW, I didn't feel like my nose was rubbed in anything. smile

I'm glad. smile  I felt he had replied to me personally, and perhaps that was mistaken.  The fact that he mentioned the social media spikes after I had written about that and the placement of his comment below mine (I agree - not his doing - just the way it's laid out) made me feel it was a direct negative response to the work of people who had gone viral (whatever that means) on FB and other social media like myself.  I'm over it though. smile

3. Kain 360 profile image91
      Kain 360posted 10 years ago

You guys mention pinterest?

I am on the internet all the time, but don't really know what that is. Is is like twitter or reddit?

How can it generate traffic or better rankings?

4. Alfie Ethan profile image59
      Alfie Ethanposted 10 years ago

Pinterest is a social sharing site. you can share pictures there , i think it is not possible to share something there without pictures.  if you have good following on the pintrest you can get good traffic from there..

5. rainsanmartin profile image86
      rainsanmartinposted 10 years ago

After you open a Pinterest account you can "Pin" an image from your Hub. In the pins description write a little about the Hub.

6. WryLilt profile image87
      WryLiltposted 10 years ago

A friend I build websites with had never experienced 'going viral'. So I saw an opportunity (new Facebook topic), wrote her a hub and told her to publish it immediately. She did, and it received about 300,000 hits in 3 days.

Before that, I think my top "quick viral" was about 25,000 in one day (also Facebook related).

Using MFPs, though, I average two 'mini-viral' spurts a week from Pinterest, I've found. I definitely recommend them as an alternate source of traffic - the more MFP hubs you have, the higher your chance of one or more going viral regularly, without any real work on your part.

I need a friend like you, WryLilt.  That's brilliant. My Pinterest pics bring me traffic (I think it was one of your hubs or posts that got me started in the first place) but I know nothing about Facebook etc.

I should write a hub on how to go viral. Unfortunately I only do it every 3-6 months (majorly, anyway).

I suspect your minor moments would be major for most of us. smile

As Relache says above... something truly viral goes into the millions.

My minor virals are usually no more than 200-300 extra for a day or two.

Well anything considered viral on Youtube would be millions.

IMO HubPages is different in regards to total views.

2. agilitymach profile image92

I'd think 300,000 hits in three days is viral in anybody's book.

7. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 10 years ago

I had a hub receive ~100,000 views in one day. I was pretty stoked about that. Occasionally it'll hit pretty high numbers, but not like that. It still gets a few hundred per day and then every few weeks a few days with a couple thousand views. Haha, I wish all my hubs would perform like that one!

8. dgicre profile image69
      dgicreposted 10 years ago

I wonder how many hits are from real people or Bot sites like Vampirestats or Adsensewatchdog. This seems to be common and plagues users on Blogger and Wordpress. You will see a site refer 300 or more visits in a day only to find out they are from Bots to get you to click on their links (Don't or they will only send more phantom traffic). Does this seem to affect HubPages as well?

I've seen plenty of fake hits on Blogger. I've never seen any on Hubpages.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)