Ok, I'm asking for it.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (28 posts)
  1. EGamboa profile image73
    EGamboaposted 10 years ago

I've got my crash helmet and seat belts on. Please fire away with your critique! http://egamboa.hubpages.com/hub/Whats-In-Your-Cosmetics

2. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 10 years ago

On this topic - check out a video called "The story of cosmetics (2010)" on YouTube.

3. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

Good hub. You could maybe ad a poll, asking people about what price they pay for face creams, or how satisfied they are with results, or any other worthy research on the validity of cosmetics.

EGamboaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Sue! Good advice…I'll try to add something like that in the future. I'm working on my second hub, and noticed that as soon as I put it up, even unpublished, it seemed to help the first, as that little blue "declining" arrow went away. So I'm thinking, at least I should get something new up, before I get to the other side of the bell curve on the first. Thanks again. P.S. is it a good idea to make changes like that, adding a poll…AFTER the hub is already published?

4. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 10 years ago

You can edit / ad stuff to a hub at any time. In fact HP encourage updating hubs frequently so the content stays "fresh". Just make sure all the style tips requirements (top right in editing mode) are ticked to ensure optimum usage of all available capsules.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

In terms of the pictures one is pixelated and you should attribute the photo source even if it is just a caption saying they are your own photos.

1. LCDWriter profile image91
      LCDWriterposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Yes, give credit for your photos.  If they are your own then just add EGamboa under the source box (where you edit photos).

6. EGamboa profile image73

Thank you, Psycheskinner. Doing a photo review, here (I thought I made all the pics close to same resolution and size).

7. EGamboa profile image73

But what if it's a stock photo I purchased to use. Like Istock?

1. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Then don't give a credit and certainly not a link. You are not required to give a photo credit by HubPages.  If you want to give a credit at the bottom of your Hub, you could say that you own the photo.

1. chasmac profile image91
        chasmacposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's right, but she can't say that she 'owns' the photo, if it's from iStock or similar. She didn't buy the photo, she bought a royalty-free licence to use it according to the licence conditions.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
      psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

IMHO if you wanted to avoid problems, credit it.

What problems?  If the copyright owner does not require a credit and/or a link, none is needed and it is not required by HubPages.

1. psycheskinner profile image84

QAP problems

From the Hubpages help pages:

"What is the proper way to use images on HubPages? ...  ALWAYS attributing others' images (whether legally required, as is the case with almost all Creative Commons-licensed images and many royalty-free stock images, or not); this makes it easy for HubPages staff to verify the you have properly attributed your images"

Image credits are not a part of the QAP evaluation. What you quoted is a recommendation, not a requirement.

And yet fixing them has helped people get failed hubs past it.

In any case, your assertion that Hubpages doesn't care about picture attribution is incorrect.  It is something they are getting increasingly strict about so people may as well start doing it now to save trouble later.

Your assertion that I presumably asserted that Hubpages doesn't care about picture attribution is bogus.  I never said any such thing. HP recommends image credits and HP also recommends using its copyright notice instead of a more accurate, personal one.  I use my own copyright notice.

Do you not understand that EGamboa was asking about a photo she purchased?   She paid money so that she didn't have to credit an image and she is using it legally.

I have never had a problem getting QAP approval without image credits.  I only use images which I created, are in Public Domain or which I have the copyright holder's permission to use and, for the most part, I don't choose to reveal my sources.

Hmmm. I'm glad I brought this up because there are many photo situations, and I think I'll go with, better safe than sorry. Although I rarely use photos that aren't either mine, or come from the stock company I subscribe to. Thank you so much for focusing on this Psycheskinner and Writer Fox!

8. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Hubpages asks that all pictures that are not your own be attributed whether this is legally required or not.  So the safe bet would be to do so.

1. janderson99 profile image54
      janderson99posted 10 years agoin reply to this

good point

9. EGamboa profile image73

But that does bring up a question; what internet images are you comfortable using and sourcing, without requesting permission for use?

You have to have permission to use an image which you did not create unless it is in public domain. You receive permission by purchase or by permissions granted in the Terms of Service where the image was found.

2. psycheskinner profile image84

Your own, those provided for publicity use, those out of copyright, and those made available under a creative commons license via sites like wikimedia and foter.

Define in the public domain

It means no copyright applies to it.  For example: if it is old enough for copyright to have expired, or was made as part of government work for the public good.

Is there a generalization that can be made about what on the internet is public domain?

No.  Unless the site hosting the picture specifies that it is in the public domain, it should be assumed to be copyrighted.

That's what I thought, so there's very little I would be sourcing; using my own pics and all

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)