Guru Nanak Jayanti- the great Prophets birth celebrations

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (26 posts)
  1. mohitmisra profile image59
    mohitmisraposted 15 years ago

Guru Nanak the great mystic poet Prophets birth is being celebrated today.
    What a divine day.
    Known to enter divine trances since an early age he left his home at the age of 33 to write divine poetry and inspire humanity to find God.
    http://festivals.iloveindia.com/gurunan … index.html

He was a great seer, saint and mystic. He was a prolific poet and a unique singer of God's laudation. A prophet of peace, love, truth and renaissance, he was centuries ahead of his times. His universal message is as fresh and true even today as it was in the past and Sikhs all over the world, practice what Guru Nanak Dev preached, to reaffirm their beliefs in the teachings of their founder.

The son of a Kshatriya (warrior) family, he studied Hinduism and Islam. He got married but then he abandoned his family and became an ascetic. Wandering for many years he came under the influence of both Hindus and Muslims (especially Sufi). The Muslim teacher Kabir (died in 1398) made a deep impression on Guru Nanak. He began preaching, "There is no Hindu, there is no Mussulman." .

1. Paraglider profile image89
      Paragliderposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Wasn't Charles Atlas a Mussulman?

mohitmisraposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No idea. smile

I would have thought there was no doubt.
          http://hubpages.com/u/629279.jpg
          Charles Atlas, the original Muscleman wink

lol  lol  lol

2. mohitmisra profile image59

The Holy Guru Granth Sahib is the religious book of the great Sikh religion.A masterpiece o the highest order it is regarded as a living Guru.

Beyond any religion its is a compilation of poems of the Sikh Saints and various poets,masters and saints who praised the one divine light and not any idol.

Most of the hymns from the Sikh saints are from the great great Prophet Guru Nanak.

Then you have masters like the great kabir,Namdev ,Shaikh Farid etc.It did not nake a difference as to which religion the poet or saint belonged to as they believe God is One.

It is such a beautiful book and like they correctly say open any page and it will have relevance

to what you need at that moment.Simply put God talks to you through this masterpiece.

My daughter made a study of Sikhism when she was at senior school and was very impressed with how it was founded.
        (apologies for hijacking the thread earlier!)

Guru Nank is simply remarkable-I just love him like mad and you are more than welcome to add in some humour.
          The Sikh saints forbid their sons from carrying out miracles.They were married and had kids- such perfect ballance.They were also martial arts experts .Will keep adding on this great master .Your daughter is intelligent wink

3. countrywomen profile image59
      countrywomenposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I always thought Guru Nanak was born in the Brahmin family since he refused the thread ceremony (which is called as Upanayanam). http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions … anak.shtml
      http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php?title=Guru_Nanak

Btw I Wish everyone a belated Happy Gurupurab

Yes he was but as he was enlightened at a very young age he did not feel the need for the thread.He believed there is no need for any rituals at all and is not needed for the goal of enlightenment .Infact poeple get caught up in rituals and loose the goal.

His father called a doctor when he was young as he refused to do much work and was considered a loafer by his friends.Ha he became the doctor for the world wink

2. countrywomen profile image59

Mohit- Thanks for explaining and publishing such a enlightening hub about one of the great saints from India. Btw I was just responding to your writeup in the second paragraph you mentioned "The son of a Kshatriya (warrior) family" hence got a doubt and did a cross check. Since I read a while ago that he was born in a Brahmin family and refused the thread ceremony I copied those links to clarify my stand. Hope Gurupurab was celebrated well.

Ah sorry about that they went on to become the warrior saints fighting the Muslim invaders as well as the English.They lost simply because they would fight a lot amongst themselves,lacked unity and the British with their discipline and big guns would win although they had a much smaller force smile

1. countrywomen profile image59

Mohit - No problem. I was just trying to recheck my facts. Yes you are right the latter Guru Har Gobind did make them warrior saints.
              http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Guru_Hargobind

Just copied from the above link mentioned.They were forced to take up arms due to the injustice melted out to them.They had the saying "When all else fails then it is okay to pick up the sword" .It was in self defence when things became too much.Someone asked me to write on the Sikh saints so I read quite a bit about them,then he got scared as scribes before have been chopped into pieces for writing on their saints. smile

4. daeemomin profile image60
      daeemominposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Guru Nanak was a religious reformer at best; he was not the founder of any new religion.

Sikhism is the creation of the Gurus, particularly of Guru Gobind Singh, whose compositions and innovations form the content and the framework of the new religion.

The scripture of Sikhism is not any revelation from God but only the compositions of the Gurus as well as those of certain Muslim and Hindu mystics. For this reason, there is no meaning in talking about the authenticity of the book as a Divine Revelation. Because neither the book nor the authors claim it to have been revealed by God.

They were poet saints.Who do you thing wrote the Bible and the Quran? were they not saints.Have you read the Guru Granth Sahib?If that is not God then nothing else is.The Sikhs ancourage you to read other holy texts  in order to validate the truth.Christians and Muslims should also encourage their people to read other holy texts,this is being open minded as the truth is the same in all.Guru Nanak was the Sikhs firsts Guru and the religion got formulated later on  .The same way Christ did not form a religion but it happened with time.
        The poems of Guru Nanak and the other Sikh saints are included in the Guru Granth Sahib.It is considered as the living Guru.

1. daeemomin profile image60

I told you before also that Quran was revealed by God. It is not an inspiration. It is a revelation. Its every word is revealed.
          God also revealed Torah and Gospel on Prophet Moses and Prophet Jesus respectively.
          However, both books were not written at the time to their revelation and nobody memorized those books. So these two books were lost their originality. People distorted these books according to their desires. At last, Quran was revealed upon Prophet Muhammad the last messenger of God. Whenever a chapter or some verses of Quran were revealed, Prophet asked his companion to write that. Moreover, Millions of Muslims have memorized the whole Quran. Thus, Quran is in its original form.

Guru Granth Sahib is not a revelation unlike Torah, Gospel and Quran.
          Did Guna Nanak ever claim that he is a prophet? NO.
          He also did not ask people to formulate a new religion.
          Christ came to make reform in teachings of earlier Prophet Moses, whose teaching were distorted by people. He never asked to formulate a new religion. He only invited people to the way of God, towards which All Prophet right from Prophet Adam to Prophet Muhammad invited.

And I showed you that the Holy Quran like the Holy Bible were not written by the Prophets but by their followers.If Guru Nanak was not a Prophet or messenger then neither was Mohammed or Jesus.Guru Nanaks words or poems are in the Guru Granth sahib so this book has more validity than the Holy Bible or The Holy Quran and he was the last Prophet.Also there have been messengers after Mohammed ,this is the same ego as the Christian saying there were no more messengers or prophets after Jesus.
            The Prophets come and correct the situation- read again I said Prophets and not just Prophet.
            You are both holding on to your ego which will prevent you both from seeing  the truth. smile

1. daeemomin profile image60

one logical question.
              Jesus said he was prophet
              Moses said he was prophet
              Muhammad said he was prophet

Guru Nanak never said that he was a prophet.
              who told you this???????

What do you think he did in his life? Well he is the Prophet of the Sikhs like Jesus is for the Christians and Mohammed is for the Mulsims..He declared his enlightenment.
                Let me give you an example of myself.When I was writing I had people coming and asking me "what do you do?" to which I would reply "I write poetry".Then they would say repeat "but what do you really do?": to which I would reply "nothing". What was I to say "I am writing a masterpiece which will help uplift humanity for thousands of years to come."?One cannot be forced to understand, either you do or you dont.

5. profile image0
      Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Sounds good so far.

What? Is that the mark of a good man? He abandoned his family and became an ascetic? Today we call those guys dead beat dads.

2. Shalini Kagal profile image55
    Shalini Kagalposted 15 years ago

big_smile big_smile big_smile

3. profile image52
    Puneetsinboxposted 10 years ago

Guru Nanak and his successors wrote and sang what they found through meditation, singing and prayer. Through meditation they reached God/Allah/Waheguru, whatever name you choose for the unity that binds us all. When they were enlightened they became one with the almighty 'Nanak leen bhaiyo Gobind seon, jeon pani sang pani'. (Gobind here refers to the almighty). Now what they said after this state can only be........., smile choose to call it what you want. The gurus never called themselves God, but they did call themselves Guru which means the teacher- the one showing us the way.... I think this is very close to the meaning of 'prophet'.

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 10 years ago

- how does ego prevent us from seeing the truth?
    - what is the" truth?"
    - where does the "way" lead?
    Just curious.

1. profile image52
      Puneetsinboxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ego lets us see only our own view points... It blocks our perception towards a wider array of facts, feelings and more.
      I don't have an answer to your second question, I wish I do in due course, the truth as the scriptures say is unfathomable, it is indescribable.
      The way leads to salvation, peace with oneself and all that's around.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)