What difference does it make if you claim to be christian?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (83 posts)
  1. profile image0
    jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years ago

If you claim to be christian, what difference does it make to your life?
    If I hear your proclamation, your words professing your “faith,” what am I likely to notice about you that is different than if you did not profess christianity?
    If you are a successful business person, and you have “squeezed” people, bent the truth, used inaccurate advertising to better your business, yet you claim to be christian, how will this affect the way you conduct your life?  How will it influence your relationship(s) with your neighbour(s)?
    If you are a politician, with a great following from your electorate, and you claim to be a Born-again christian, how will you regard the times when you have been “somewhat generous” with the “truth?”  Will you have any degree of conscience about it?  Will the born-again bit make any difference?
    If you are financing a safari in Africa, and engage the local hunters to seek out a herd of elephant, then proceed to massacre the oldest members of the herd for their formidable tusks, then leave the other younger members of the herd without the wisdom and experience of their elders, helping to drive a beautiful animal species to extinction in our life time.....whilst back home you are held in high esteem for your good christian character........ will you feel any sense of guilt?  Or will you find a good but not necessarily accurate answer for your admirers, just to keep your comfortable life?   
    Will your faith in Jesus do anything to make a practical difference in your life?
    Do you find any good reason for being a christian?  A lasting difference that makes a real, genuine, sincere and loving impact on the lives of your fellow humans – and every other living thing that has a right to life?
    Or is it all about what happens when you have left this life, and nothing to do with the present life, here and now?

1. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

jonny, it's almost 1am where I am, but this is awesome and I am so coming back to it!  Peace, sweet friend!

1. profile image0
        jonnycomelatelyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Mo, but I must point out that of course, the scenarios I have painted are theoretical.  They are possible and extreme examples and simply give an understanding of how a "faith" and a "belief" are of no use, no point, no sense unless they can have a real, practical and useful influence on an individual's life.  This applies equally to any one, of any religion or faith, anywhere in the world.

All the argument over theism or atheism is a waste of time without the believers doing their bit to better our world, before they die.... they can do nothing about it afterwards.

1. profile image0
          Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is true and something we are charged with not only in the Bible, but by good teachers of the word.
          There is no one who is sinless, not one, save Jesus, but there is the constant leading of the spirit to be more Christ like and to leave our flesh behind. There are those who spend their lives serving Christ and others in ways I dream to one day do. There are those who try and fail, but get up and try again. There are those who claim to be Christians, but they are what we call "pew sitters" those who go to church for cultural reasons or what have you. There is a girl from my home town I have been blown away by... if you are looking for a true, sold out believer... she is a shining example.
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfXgCx3f_1c

1. A Troubled Man profile image58
            A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

And yet, we find those who believe they are charged with teaching the word are usually the biggest hypocrites of all.

I am sinless and I know many others who are sinless.

What spirit? To be Christ like means to simply follow the teachings of Christ, which essentially are the teachings of Buddha.

Again, the biggest hypocrites of all.

Ah yes, the No True Scotsman fallacy, well done. 

Agreed, "sold out" is the relevant term.

2. profile image0

Ok, a young person following what she feels led to do.  Doing it and feeling good about it.  Not that difficult to do, if you know you can jump straight out of it again, just whenever you please; and when you can feel secure and upheld by some superior power;  and you can feel superior yourself for having more education, better health, a better way of life (you are "civilised"), and there are others, of like persuasion, who will welcome you home again to the comfortable life.
            Could you, can you, do any of that "good work" if you don't have that inherent "faith" behind you?
            I have worked in Africa, amongst christian people.   Many of them were doing good work.  Many were inspired to do so with their beliefs.    Or was it because of their beliefs?  Or were they simply just good people at heart who had found their niche in life just at the right moment in time? 
            As a professing christian, how deeply do you question yourself and your motives?  What steps do you, specifically as a christian, take to keep your selfish ego at bay?   (Not speaking now of a love of yourself, an inner respect for your being and your unique place/responsibility in this world.  That is different from selfishness which is a greedy, self-serving attitude.)

1. profile image0

I wouldn't credit her with finding a niche. She has adopted 14 children before the age of 22. She runs an orphanage and gave up an affluent life... she is living out her life as the hands and feet of Christ. She is an amazing example and I would never take that from her flippantly. I have never done any thing half that remarkable and the things I have done that were Christ like, I wouldn't feel comfortable posting here. Oddly enough, I'd rather share my shortcomings and let you judge me on those. Maybe we shouldn't be so quick to judge others lives at all? Maybe we should judge our own hearts.

That's the problem, she even admits that helping others is not an option, that it is commanded in the Bible. That is the difference between what she does and what others do without the requirement of being commanded.

1. profile image0

Yes, find fault with her. That seems appropriate.

It's not hard to find fault in ones means when the reasoning and motives are exposed.

I wonder how many of those kids she'll try to indoctrinate with her beliefs?

2. profile image0
                Emile Rposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That's what I find fascinating. People seem to want to point a finger over and over because Christians aren't perfect. I think a good Christian is one who knows they aren't perfect. Shame on Christians because they aren't like Christ, but the act of judging them is against the teachings of Christ also.

I don't get the whole, 'I'm not a Christian, but Christians aren't Christian' mentality. It's basically saying Christ was perfect and you'll never be, which is the same thing Christians say and get complained to because their statement creates conflict.

Hypocrisy must be synonymous with the word humanity.

1. profile image0

I agree, that's the point I was trying to make earlier. Thanks.

2. profile image0

Mo, the conversation will have moved on considerably by the time you come back to it.  Hope your original thoughts/emotions about it remain intact.

1. profile image0
          Motown2Chitownposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Indeed it has.  sad

I'm still going to try to speak to it, but I want to get through the rest of the thread.

2. RBJ33 profile image70
      RBJ33posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hey john - I think what you describe in your examples are hypocrites - which includes the vast, vast majority of those claiming to be Christians.  I won't get into a religious debate here (that's been done over and over in this venue) because they usually turn ugly.  That too, is at the heart of the problem.

1. profile image0

A hypocrite is essentially a liar. I wonder if that makes the majority of politicians Christians? Would that make the vast majority of prisoners and lawyers and con men Christians? Seems to me a liar comes in just about any and every form... which would mean they were lying about being a Christian... which would maybe make them not a Christian? I don't know... that makes sense to me.

People here know about my flaws, but they know because I've admitted them. I believe in confessing your sins, in not playing games and pretending to be something your not. I've never pretended to not be a sinner, but to sin less and please God is my goal.

No, just the majority of Christians, especially those who follow Christianity.

No, they're not lying about being a Christian, they are lying about following the teachings of Christ.

How every unfortunate. Doing things just to please God means that one is unable to think and rationalize what they do. That's the difference between Christians and non-believers, who actually know that they do things to help others rather than to please some god.

1. RBJ33 profile image70

You got that right trouble!  There is such confusion and contradiction within whatever Christianity is supposed to be.  Why are there so many different churches, so many different sects, so many different versions?

if you wanted to believe, how would you know which one was the true one.  Or, is there no true one, just someone else's version?

1. profile image0

Im sorry that you haven't met or gotten to know any loving Christians.

1. RBJ33 profile image70

Beth, don't be sorry girl.  I've met, and gotten to know, many loving people.  I don't give a hoot whether they are Christians, Muslims, Jews, Humanists, believers, non-believers, or aliens.

1. profile image0

Good! Im glad... glad most of all that you accept them no matter what their belief or background. smile

1. RBJ33 profile image70

Acceptance only if they don't try to press their beliefs on me, try to convert me, and don't ask me if I've found Jesus.

2. RBJ33 profile image70

Well, I said in my original post that I wouldn't get into a religious debate, because they usually turn ugly, and this one did. 

The believers trying to convert the non-believers.  The non-believers baiting the believers. throw in some nasty insults, and you have a religious debate.

No thanks you all - I'm otta here.

1. profile image0

Where did anyone try to convert someone? Maybe I am confused about what thread Im on... it wouldn't be the first time... but I don't remember that.

2. tammybarnette profile image60
    tammybarnetteposted 10 years ago

If you can't tell I am a Christian without my professing so then I believe that to be a real problem. I believe many have migrated away from Christianity due to the wide spread hypocrisy of what I have termed "pharisses." Many religious people who live by a set of rules and works but have not love. I think many are stuck in the strangle hold of living with one foot in Heaven and one in the world, which of course never works. My hope is that for everyone I meet to know I am a Christian without ever having to say so...  smile

3. bBerean profile image59
    bBereanposted 10 years ago

Wow Jonny.  Congrats on a very revealing, (disturbing, but revealing), thread.  I've not learned a thing about self proclaimed Christians, but have learned a great deal about some of the resident Atheists.  Interesting stuff.   Thank you for the thread.

1. profile image0

Indeed!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)