When will HubPages update the standard copyright notice each year?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years ago

When I update or revise older hubs, the HP standardized copyright notice does not change to the current year, so I remove that notice to update with my own current year notice at the bottom of my hub, using the correct format. Then I get the notice that HP prefers their own notice, which is outdated BTW.  It would be nice if HP copyright notice would update when a hub is edited. Is anyone else concerned about this on your own hubs?

1. Ericdierker profile image46
      Ericdierkerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Phyllis. Do not worry one bit about it. Just use HP's. That is more than good enough even if there is a funny bunny date.
      "copywrite" is not the correct term at all. But the notion of such is just about notice. So that big old legal ease that you read is called "boilerplate" if you want to learn about that -- ask me.

Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Eric, I am aware that absolutely no copyright notice is really needed, for as soon as someone writes an article, it is automatically a copyrighted piece. However, not everyone is aware of this and if there is not notice, or the notice is old, then people are more apt to steal other people's work. Hence, I am concerned and will continue to update my copyright notice till HP has updated standardized notice. Thanks.

Phyllis, your point is right on the money - literally. I spent 3 hours yesterday with 3 high dollar lawyers and 6 clients. The sole issue was "refusal of service" --- we all know it as the sign in the restaurant in red letters telling us they have the right to refuse service to anyone.
          Our meetings were about how to tell a Negro old lady in a wheelchair that we cannot service her needs.
          (I right here again because your assertion is false and people need to get that -- you are spewing urban legend -- your stuff is not, not not ever automatically copyrighted --- period and end of story) NSA has a copy of it before you publish -- think of that.

Eric, you will not not not drag me into one of your infamous debates -- end of story for you. Following is some info from the US Copyright Office you may find interesting:

When is my work protected?
            Your work is under copyright protection the moment it is created and fixed in a tangible form that it is perceptible either directly or with the aid of a machine or device.

Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
            No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work. See Circular 1, Copyright Basics, section “Copyright Registration.”

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html

BTW: I turn to HP for this feature suggestion, not you. I do thank you though for your input.

I will leave it. But you take one or four sentences out of something and declare it the law. Why in the heck do lawyers and judges go to law school when it is just so simple.
              You take this out of context and apply it wrongly and people should know that because it is false legal advice.
              I reckon I will get "infamously" banned because I am not being nice about this.

2. Cardisa profile image87
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The copyright notice for the hub is for when the hub was first published.This helps to prove that your hubs was published on a particular date especially for plagiarists. Changing that could be detrimental to you if your content is stolen. Remember that Google checks each URL to see which was first placed on the net when a complaint is lodged. If you published an article in 2011 and someone stole it in 2012, then it would be hard to prove it's yours if the copyright says 2013.

Well, that is a very good point, Cardisa, thank you. Maybe I will reconsider updating the copyright date. On our account page, with the list of hubs, it does have the date first published. Do you think that is sufficient in case of plagiarism?

1. Cardisa profile image87
          Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It could be. You could place your copyright as " Copyright 2011 - 2013" (example). I leave mine the way HP puts it because it's easier when Google checks the URL to see the notice. They don't have access to our account page.

2. profile image0
          sheilamyersposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I was going to tell you the same thing as Cardisa. When I ran my website and updated a page I always left the original copyright date and added the dash then whatever year it was updated. I've noticed that along with the copyright date, HP also adds a notice with the date of when the hub was last edited so that should cover both the original copyright and any changes you make. If you aren't using the feature that automatically adds the copyright date, just be sure to remember to add it yourself and make sure the update info gets posted when you edit any hubs.

3. The Examiner-1 profile image59
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Phyllis,
      I was going to suggest sort of what Cardisa mentioned. I was thinking of how they do it in written books - they leave the original year and add each year that it was edited. (e.g. - copyright 2013, 2014...)

Yes, you are right. Both you and Cardisa have sensible solutions that are helpful. Thank you both.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image59
          The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome. smile

4. Genna East profile image82
      Genna Eastposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Good question, Phyllis. :-) 

Cardisa brought up an excellent point.  You want to protect your work from the date it was originally created; thus, the importance of the original date. 

I don't use HP's standard...I use the word, "copyright, plus the symbol, my name and the date, and "all rights reserved."  I always copyright my work with the Library of Congress as well so that I can file suit, if necessary, for copyright infringement.

That is how I did it also, Genna, until HP added the standard notice. I think I will go back to my original way.  I do not like the placement of the standard notice anyway.

5. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
      pauldeedsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The date in a copyright notice is supposed to be the year of first publication.  Here's the U.S. Guide to copyrights.  What you are supposed to do if you make significant updates to the content after publication is a little murky, but here is one interpretation.  If the content hasn't been updated, then including the current year (e.g. 2010-2014) probably is not the right thing to do.

Thank you, Paul, this really helps. Now I know what to do. I appreciate this.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years ago

Hmmmm .... That is true, that Google does not have access to our account page. I think I will just leave the HP notice as it is.

3. Writer Fox profile image32
    Writer Foxposted 10 years ago

I've already started updating mine.  This is the notice I use:
    Copyright © 2011 - 2014 Writer Fox™. All Rights Reserved.

The notice should begin with the date the content was created and end with the new year.

That is what I will do now also, Writer Fox. I am glad to see so many agree on the same thing. I will use my own notice and just add the dash and the new year.

1. Writer Fox profile image32
        Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I've also started putting my copyright notice inside a graphic so it doesn't get the 'Style Tip' notice:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8607508_f248.jpg

Good idea !

1. Writer Fox profile image32
            Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

(On the Hub, it's in the same size font as the rest of the Hub so you can't even tell that it's a graphic!)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)