Puzzle Time Jan 22

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (27 posts)
  1. Soniabala profile image61
    Soniabalaposted 10 years ago

Grandma has five apples and five grandchildren. She wants to feed all of her grandchildren an equal amount of apple, but the apples are all different sizes, so she can't figure out how to give each grandchild an equal amount.Can you help her?

Answers Pls

1. MelissaBarrett profile image59
      MelissaBarrettposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't give any of them any apples.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Give the smallest child the smallest apple and work on up to the largest.

3. deecoleworld profile image75
      deecoleworldposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The grandma should take all the apples, put them in a sack, line her grandkids up, beat them to death with all the apples (beat them equally btw). when she is finished she should make an apple pie wink

1. tsadjatko profile image65
        tsadjatkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You really have to watch out giving grandmas advice. I suggested my grandma do a puzzle to past the time. Next thing I know she calls me,

"Please come over here and help me. I have a killer jigsaw puzzle, and I can't figure out how to get started."

I ask, "What is it supposed to be when it's finished?"

The little silver haired lady says, "According to the picture on the box, it's a rooster."

I decided to go over and help with the puzzle.

She lets me in and shows me where she has the puzzle spread all over the table.

I studied the pieces for a moment, then looked at the box, and turned to her to say,

"First of all, no matter what we do, we're not going to be able to assemble these pieces into anything resembling a rooster."

I take her hand and say, "Secondly, I want you to relax. Let's have a nice cup of tea, and then," I said with a deep sigh .............

"Let's put all the Corn Flakes back in the box."

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8682849_f248.jpg

2. Soniabala profile image61
        Soniabalaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Haha....You are too funny....

2. angelicthoughts profile image59
    angelicthoughtsposted 10 years ago

Weigh the five apples and divide the total weight. Therefore each grandchildren will receive 1/5 of the total weight. Lol.

Nice try

3. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

1. Cut each apple into five equal pieces and give each child a piece of each.
    or 2. Make applesauce and give each child the same amount.
    or 3. Bake an apple pie, cut it into six pieces-- then grandma can share with all of them.
    I think 3. would be best, (suggested by an actual Grandma, me.)

Excellent....

4. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Tell them to sit in a circle. Have each child take one bite then pass it to the child next to them, with the children all taking the same size bite. Continue on until the apples are gone. Pray that it is not flu season and that your neighbor's are not watching, judging your disgusting tactic.

haha

5. angelicthoughts profile image59
    angelicthoughtsposted 10 years ago

Haha I like the suggestions of Beth37 and Rochelle Frank. I think my suggestion was too complicated.

6. Mahfoudh Muhammed profile image61
    Mahfoudh Muhammedposted 10 years ago

Are they twins or what?

Nope

7. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

Slice all five apples into wedges, weigh the amount, then divide that amount by five. Separate the amounts into five parts, weighing each amount to equal one fifth of total sliced apples.
    This is a combo of angelic and Rochelle. However, it's not perfect because you cannot control for the exact amount of each wedge slice. hmm ?

nice try

8. suzettenaples profile image89
    suzettenaplesposted 10 years ago

Cut each apple into 5 wedges and give each child one wedge from each ape for a total of 5 wedges per child.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 10 years agoin reply to this

The apes will say Ouch!

Funny

9. lady rain profile image94
    lady rainposted 10 years ago

Tell Grandma to give each child an apple and send them outside to play. They won't even notice the apples are different sizes wink

Good trick smile

10. Victoria Lynn profile image89
    Victoria Lynnposted 10 years ago

Give the biggest grandchild the biggest apple and on down the line. Then be done with it! Silly dilemma.

11. majida123 profile image77
    majida123posted 10 years ago

All apples should be cut into small slices. Serve each child equal number of chunks to feed their appetite.

12. Soniabala profile image61
    Soniabalaposted 10 years ago

Correct Answer
    Grandma should make applesauce or apple pie

Well done.....Rochelle Frank

See you tomorrow guys

13. amiebutchko profile image70
    amiebutchkoposted 10 years ago

Can't she just make applesauce and split it up?

yeah that's the answer:)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)