jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

What are the most appealing names grandchildren call their grandparents?

1. Aficionada profile image87
    Aficionadaposted 5 years ago

What are the most appealing names grandchildren call their grandparents?

2. Denise Handlon profile image91
    Denise Handlonposted 5 years ago

What a fun question, LOL    I am sure there are TONS of things that grandchildren have dubbed their grandparents, but in my home I am 'Grandma Dee'.  That distinguishes from the other grandmother: Grandma Mary.  On the other side I'm still Grandma Dee and my daughter's mother in law is 'NaNa'.   

My mother was 'Nona' (Italian for grandma) and my maternal grandmother was 'Nonie'.     My nephew calls his maternal grandma, 'Meemaw'.  Not sure of the spelling, but I know it's a southern nickname.

My request, when my first grandchild came along, ( I was in my mere 40's then and thought myself way too young to be dubbed: 'Grandma')  was to be called:

Obi-wan Kenobe--from Star Wars.    My daughter wasn't going for it!   haha.

3. hagsvilleUSA profile image61
    hagsvilleUSAposted 5 years ago

i always called my grandma "granny" and even though it's not very original, i don't hear it much anymore since moving away from the country when i was little.  it's always a nice little gift of nostalgia when i do.   :-)

4. duffsmom profile image60
    duffsmomposted 5 years ago

I have never liked the name Grandma so when my grandchildren were born, I became Nana and their other Grandmother is Grandma.  It's also less confusing for us.

5. Becky Katz profile image83
    Becky Katzposted 5 years ago

I refuse to be granny, I am Grandma. The other side is nanny. Since there are several generations on the other side, they are memaw, granny, and nana. There are so many different names that there is one for each of us and everyone knows which one the kids are talking about when they say they want to go see Grandma.
    Grandpa is my husband, papa and papaw are the other side. Fun question.

6. Kusha Soni profile image69
    Kusha Soniposted 5 years ago

The Hindi translation of grandfather is 'Daada' and for grandmother is 'Daadi'. I am not among those fortunate kids who are bestowed with the love of their grandfather... My grandfather expired a few years before my birth. My daadi was the one who showed so much love and blessings on us on the part of grandfather too.... and I just love calling her 'Daadu'  which is a mixture of the words Daada and Daadi...

7. peachpurple profile image82
    peachpurpleposted 5 years ago

my children called my parents, "grandma and grandpa" where my hubby side parents are called" ah mah and ah gong" When my son was only 3 years old, he called my mother in law" ma-ma".

8. annart profile image88
    annartposted 4 years ago

My first granddaughter used to call me 'Bamma' when she couldn't pronounce 'Grandma' properly - it sort of stuck because I liked it so much.  Strangely, her younger sister (now two & a half) has started to say 'Bramma'!  The G seems to be a problem to young speakers.  My grandson has adopted leaving out the 'r' and calls me 'Gammar', often with the word 'silly' in front of it (with a cheeky grin)!
    Great question!

working