Rejecting God's message

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (12 posts)
  1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 10 years ago

I read something last night that got me thinking. The basis of the quote was that we are all always receiving God's message, but that for the most part, most of us are rejecting it. Or even all of us.

Maybe that's why we are here, because we haven't fully accepted, understood, and lived it. That we choose to be here, in our own private hell, with the option to leave any time we wish.

The message seems to be:

God created us.

We are all part of God, and thus, all part of each other.

We need to treat each other in a non-harmful way.

Repentance "the activity of reviewing one's actions and feeling contrition or regret for past wrongs"

Forgiveness Ask God for forgiveness, and forgive yourself.

I think there is more to the message than this, but I don't think most of us can get to even this stage.

I think God gives us the message loud and clear, all the time. I didn't used to think so, but now I think that once you CHOOSE to tune in, you can hear and see it everywhere.

In religious scripture, in parables, in languages, in numbers, in geography, through intuition, visions.

2. EncephaloiDead profile image54
    EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years ago

There are thousands of gods with thousands of various messages, all having very little to do with one another.

janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm not sure what multiple religions has to do with anything I said.

1. EncephaloiDead profile image54
        EncephaloiDeadposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It has to do with everything you said in the OP. You are claiming "a" God.

Religions have very little to with God. A few are probably divinely inspired, but are corrupted through the filters of personal prejudices. Some are borrowed and further corrupted. Some are made up.

That's why we need to be open to God through intuition.

God is inside, not out there somewhere.

lol Beautiful contradiction, well said.

God is figment of your imagination. We pretty much know what's "inside" and no gods have been found as yet.

I have. I'm sorry you haven't. But that's also a personal choice.

2. janesix profile image59

Why do you even care? You seem to be pretty obsessed with God for an atheist.

3. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Genesis 1:26
        And God said, let us make man in our image.

Genesis 3:22
        And the Lord God said, Behold, then man is become as one of us, to know good and evil.

Genesis 11:7
        Let us go down, and there confound their language.

Exodus 12:12
        And against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment.

Exodus 15:11
        Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods?

Exodus 18:11
        Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods.

Exodus 20:3, 5
        Thou shalt have no other gods before me. ... Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them.

Exodus 22:20-28
        He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the LORD only, he shall be utterly destroyed. (v.20)

Thou shalt not revile the gods. (v.28)

Exodus 23:13-32
        Make no mention of the name of other gods, neither let it be heard out of thy mouth. (v.13)

Thou shalt not bow down to their gods, nor serve them, nor do after their works: but thou shalt utterly overthrow them, and quite break down their images. (v.24)

Thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor with their gods. (v.32)

Exodus 34:14
        For thou shalt worship no other god: for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

4. EncephaloiDead profile image54

Estimating N from religions

Adherents.com claims to have figures for 4,200 religious groups currently existing on Earth.

Using the ratio of current population to the total number of people who have ever lived, we get an estimate of 63,000 religious groups throughout human history. (Only Homo sapiens' religions are being considered. It may well be that other hominids believed in god or gods, but it would be pure guesswork to estimate the number of gods they believed in.)

The modern dominant (that is, have the most adherents) religions are monotheistic, but they are few in number. Wikipedia lists 309 Hindu deities. The ancient Hittites claimed to have 1000 deities in their pantheon. So for a rough estimate of the average number of deities per religion, we'll take the average of these 3 figures, giving 440 deities per religion.

This gives an estimate of N = 28,000,000.

http://atheism.wikia.com/wiki/How_many_gods%3F

Religions distract from the truth almost as much as atheism does.

Sure, make stuff up. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)