Ugly Ads

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (16 posts)
  1. davidlivermore profile image92
    davidlivermoreposted 10 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8770422.jpg

This ugly ad was on one of my hubs.  I was so disgusted I clicked off of my hub because I couldn't stare at it any longer.

Really?  For one, this ad had zero to do with my hub.  And I don't see this keeping people in my hub.

I know HP may not have control over this, but geez, yuck.

1. Cardisa profile image88
      Cardisaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can turn that particular add off by clicking the "x" at the top right hand corner.

davidlivermoreposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Saw that, but how many users would do that if that showed up?

I guarantee you, that ad will only show if the user is searching for fungus or if your hub is directly related. Adsense doesn't much care what they show to publishers, but their ads are pretty precise when it comes to visitors.

As Writer Fox mentioned, your visitors don't see the same ads as you do. You may not have been searching for foot fungus but you may have been searching for something medically related.

When you mute the ad I think it's muted for that particular page as well, so will not show up again on that page.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That ad was presented based upon the personal search history of your IP address.  You're right that it is not matched to the content of your article.  The Google AdSense program has concluded, through its statistics, that there are more conversions (= more $) from personalized ads than from purely contextual ads.  If that ad offended you, just know that other visitors are seeing different ads.

So you are saying I am looking up problems with my nail fungus?  The closest thing I have looked up was bronchitis!

1. Writer Fox profile image31

Well, Google thinks you have a stinky nail fungus and would like to help you get rid of it. 

Tell me the title of the Hub and I'll tell you what ad is showing when I look at it.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Collect- … xtra-Money

Oddly enough, I go back to that same hub, and it offers a relevant ad for that particular hub.

You are not guaranteed to see the same set of ads every time you visit a hub. Most of these ads are just placer-ads. The real ads show up for visitors. Just ignore your ads while logged in because those ads don't matter.

2. Writer Fox profile image31

Which ad is shown depends on which advertiser placed the highest bid: the one wanting an ad matched to content or the one who wanted the ad matched to personal searches.  When the highest bidder has reached his requested limit for the day, the position is given to the next bidder, and so forth.

When I viewed your Hub from a browser where Google knows me, this is the ad I was shown:
              http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8770987.png

That is an ad (in Hebrew) for a website development/SEO/PPC company – exactly the kind of stuff I look at all day.

When I searched from another browser where I only use Bing, this is the ad I am shown on your Hub:
              http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8770995_f260.jpg

That is an advertisement to buy land in Costa Rico (can't imagine that too many Israelis are interested in doing that). But, one of the firms I do SEO work for is an international real estate firm, so I do a lot of searches for real estate.

When I look at your Hub with a browser which carries no memory of my personal searches, I am shown this ad:
              http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8771002_f260.jpg
              http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8771003_f260.jpg

That ad is for a dating site and the image switches from a man to a woman because it doesn't have a clue. It only knows the location of my IP address. 

So, fess up.  You really do have a stinky toenail, don't you?

3. bethperry profile image82
      bethperryposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Advertisers should realize that very often "less is more". I'd think few cash-ready-to-spend consumers are going to click on an ad involving an oozing pimple or somebody's inflamed hemorrhoid, and images of gross fungi aren't any different.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

You'd be surprised just how well those types of ads work.  People love to look at freaky stuff and they'll click just out of curiosity.  If they really have that medical condition, they will recognize it from the ad and click-through to find the cure. Advertisers wouldn't continue to pay for those giant display ads if they weren't profitable for them.

2. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

Gross.  There are a couple of other unpleasant ads too.  I must admit I was wondering if it was only me.

3. innerspin profile image87
    innerspinposted 10 years ago

It's pretty yucky. We're not supposed to use unpleasant medical pictures in hubs, so how come advertisers can show them here?

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
      DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I agree, innerspin--there is a huge contradiction in standards.  Advertisers are allowed ads with photos on topics we are not even allowed to write about.
      How about a hub article comparing different styles of condoms and the relative sensations with each?  I doubt that would fly with staff standards, yet contraceptive ads are allowed. 
      Few things annoy me more than double standards!  If this is supposed to be a "G-rated" site, then the ads should be as well.  (Not that the ad initially complained about was "R" rated, but I have seen ads for contraceptives, and believe you me, I am well past the age to be searching for any such things...so it was not an ad 'targeted' based on my browsing history.. wink )

4. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

OK--this is not a gripe, but a funny story.

On my news feed page, there was just an ad for Arthur Murray Dance Studios.  My first reaction was, "They're still around??!!"

My second reaction was the memory of my grandfather's story.  At the time, he was an older, retired gentleman, a bit slowed down in his activities.  He received a telephone call one day, excitedly claiming that he'd "...won a series of dance lessons with Arthur Murray!"  Naturally, as with most such beginnings, it was a disguised sales pitch, which Grandpa immediately recognized.
    He decided to play the guy, and said,

"I think you have the wrong number." 
    "Oh, no, I don't think so.  Is this Mr. Reed?"
    "Yes."
    "Well, then, at xxx address?"
    "Yes."
    "Then, there's no mistake!  You've won!"
    "I still think you have the wrong Mr. Reed.  You see, I've just gotten out of the hospital, and only have one leg!"

The fellow fell all over himself apologizing and hung up all flustered.  Grandpa laughed himself silly, and went about his day on both perfectly good legs.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)