Beautification of America

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (31 posts)
  1. Faith Reaper profile image82
    Faith Reaperposted 10 years ago

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/8787737.jpg
    I say America, as that is where I live, and I do not know how things are down around the world.  However, I was driving through the city in which I work and noticing how many huge abandoned buildings there are, or buildings that just cannot sell due to that part of the city is not thriving anymore as far as businesses.  I mean there are acres upon acres of just concrete buildings and parking lots just sitting there.  I wonder how Constitutional it would be to require (or good business sense, as I am not a business owner) the owner of the property to give them a certain amount of time to sell the property and if it does not sell, then require that they tear down and recycle all of the concrete and then ask the community to join in planting trees on said property?  I would love to see tress where all that concrete is just sitting there and it would improve our environment. I am sure there would be many volunteers to plants trees, Boy Scouts, youths in ministries and just anyone who is for improving our environment.  It could even be turned into a vegetable garden for people who are hungry such as the homeless.  I have plenty more ideas in my head, but I just do not know how to go about getting such a thing implemented in our society across America.  I work in the legal field and can do some research and maybe the big business owners could have some kind of tax incentive to reuse the materials they already have before building another building across town?  I know this seems far fetched, but it sounds lovely to replace concrete with trees or even a Botanical Garden to attract tourist, something, anything would be an improvement!  Thanks for sharing your ideas here.

1. bravewarrior profile image86
      bravewarriorposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Faith, I love your idea. Those properties could be put to use that will benefit and bring communities closer together. I've noticed in my neck of the woods that a few abandoned buildings have actually been torn down and parks put in their place. That is soooooo refreshing to see! Usually it's the other way around.

Faith Reaperposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Hi Sha, oh, I am so glad.  Sorry everyone, I was not able to get on here at lunch, but was able to get off work early, so here I am back lol.  That would be so lovely if it could be done some way or another!  Oh, wow, see there, it can be done, if they are doing it in your neck of the woods!  Yes, it is usually the other way around.  I know I saw several years back that in NYC, a community got together to plant a garden in a whole block or parking lot.  I don't know how that happened, but I believe there was no building and the owners gave permission for the community to use it and clean it up and turn it into a garden.  I wonder how they got the building owners to tear down their buildings and put parks there, unless the town bought the property from the owners?

2. Sparklea profile image59
    Sparkleaposted 10 years ago

Faith, what a wonderful idea.  I live ten miles from Binghamton, New York, and I see the same thing.  Nature is much more beautiful than concrete!  Our little town of Vestal, New York and Chenango Bridge is full of houses that were totally damaged by the flood of 2011...I think they are being torn down now...and I hope they are replaced by beauty. 
    Beauty definitely outweighs concrete. 
    I am with you, I would not know where to begin...a few thoughts would be to write a letter to your newspaper, sharing what you wrote on this forum; maybe start a petition?  Or go to your political representatives?  You have the writing talent to share your thoughts with letters, and you have a wonderful personality to approach people high in office...or even write a letter to the President of the United States because EVERY city in our country probably has the same problem.
    This is a wonderful topic and I am eager to see what comments result.  God bless you always, Sparklea smile

Thank you so much, dear Sparklea, for your enthusiastic comments! Yes, I am sure it is common across America and I am sure the business owners would not want to lose their money but if thwir property is not selling, then that should be a motivation to do something? You have presented great ideas here. Have a lovely day!

2. Faith Reaper profile image82

Hi Dear Sparklea, again, I am sorry for the typo there, as I was on my cellphone ...lol.  That is wonderful that Chenango Bridge  will be replaced by beauty.  I feel so bad for those poor people who suffered such loss through that terrible storm!  Again, I appreciate you great ideas of where to start.  Yes, we have to start somewhere.  It is encouraging to know, as Sha stated, that some areas have actually done this, and so maybe that is another good place to start and ask how did they get it going.  Hugs and I hope you have had a lovely day so far.

3. Mark Lees profile image78
    Mark Leesposted 10 years ago

I suspect that forcing them to spend their own money would be unconstitutional, but putting a compulsory purchase order in place and buying the land back and converting it at tax payers expense may be an option.

Sadly, I suspect most people would rather keep the eyesores and pay lower taxes.

Yes, Mark, I suspect you are right on both accounts but if there was a way to not have to use tacpayers' monies?

Hi Mark, again, sorry for the typo, as I was on my cellphone at the time.  Here is another far-fetched idea...  Maybe those who have the means (money) would be willing to buy some of the property that is unable to sell if they were given a good tax break or something?  Then once the concrete and such is torn down and recycled, the community can pitch in with volunteers to do a large park, garden, nature reserve or whatever?  I know I am just dreaming now ...

1. Mark Lees profile image78
        Mark Leesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It would be lovely but unfortunately for many property has more value than people/community.

Unfortunately is the right word there, Mark!

4. kidscrafts profile image73
    kidscraftsposted 10 years ago

That is a great idea, Faith.  Unfortunatelly, I suppose that land owners have hope that one day they can sell their property to a higher price and while waiting, they let go of taking care of their property and land.  Nobody is a winner because it becomes ugly and less and less people want to live in that kind of neighbourhood and sometimes it brings violence and the wort part of all, if those buildings start crumbling, it becomes a hazard.
    I had the chance to go to Buenos Aires about two years ago because my husband had to go for his work and during weekends we visited the city.  There  is a magnificient ecological reserve that came just by accident.  They destroyed old buildings and they placed all the old rubbles in the sea and I think they were planning to build over those rubbles.  But I suppose that while they were constructing elsewhere, the vegetation and the animals took over those construction rubbles and it became a park.  They decided to transform it as an ecological reserve.  There a few paths and you can walk in those paths or even rent a bike.  It's beautiful. 
    I am giving you the link toward an article on wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Costanera_ … al_Reserve
    Nature is strong.  In the case of Buenos Aires, it also showed that this natural reserve also provides fresh air to that huge city.  They are almost the lungs of the city.
    So with good will it shows that we can transform our environment and make something better.  We need a few good lungs around the world!
    Thank you for planting this idea in our mind!
    Enjoy your day!

Wow, thank you for your insight!  I will reply to all responses in detail on my lunch break. I appreciate you!

Hi again, Dear Joelle (kidscrafts), I am back now.  That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard of .... wow, a nature reserve that just came about!!!  And see how great it is for all and the community and especially being the lungs for the city!  Well, now, it sure would be nice if all situations turned out so wonderful.  Thank you for that amazing link!!!  Wow, I had no clue about such and thank you for sharing all of this with us here.  You're the best!  Enjoy the rest of your day dear friend.

1. kidscrafts profile image73
        kidscraftsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think this is the beauty of hubpages.  We can all learn things from each other and I am learning every day :-)
        Believe it or not, I wrote an article that sit somewhere on my computer and never published it.  I don't know yet if I will place it on hubpages or on my own blog.  I love those kind of story where nature is so powerful that it can take over even rubbles.  If you can read Spanish, the same article on Wikipedia will give you more information.  The avenue that gives access to the reserve was I think a kind of promenade in front of the ocean... until they put all the contruction rubbles. 
        Enjoy the rest of the day, Faith :-)

Oh, yes, that is certainly the beauty of HubPages, as I for one learn so much each day from others, as I have done here with your sharing of wonderful information!  Oh, I hope you do publish your article here dear one.  It would be so fascinating to read for all, especially!  Enjoy your day sweet friend.  Hugs

Oh, I had not thought about doing a hub on this, but that is an idea, but I would love for you to publish a hub on your article you already have written from your perspective as you know so much about it.  It would be very well received indeed!  Hugs

2. kidscrafts profile image73
        kidscraftsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I also want to add... if you write an article about the beautification of America, please don't hesitate to use the example of Buenos Aires.  It's important to share.  I am a so slow producer on HP and I can publish my article on my own blog.  I am slow on my own blog as well ;-)
        Have a beautiful day, Faith!

5. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 10 years ago

Ireland, which looks quite similar to the US these days, is in a similar predicament. Many empty large buildings, some of which look brand new, due to the global downturn and drop in property value. The problem is, that these building cost too much to maintain. Another problem in the US is the property tax being so high, that it's cheaper for them to build a new building in a cheaper area of town.

Using them as libraries, converting them to town halls or using them for community purposes would make sense as not only are they then being used, but they are then being maintained and won't fall apart.

Hello cfin, Oh, I know, that is what gets me, is that a lot of the buildings are brand new and just sitting there taking up a lot of acres and acres for no purpose!  You are so right about property tax indeed being so high.  Wow, I did not know it was cheaper to build a whole new building in another part of town, but then the business may not be as good in that cheaper part of town?  Oh, WOW, now you are talking ... those are wonderful things to do such as using them as libraries, town halls and community purposes, as that truly makes a ton of sense!!!  Great point, as they would be maintained at least and be used too!  Awesome.  I appreciate your thoughts here.

1. cfin profile image65
        cfinposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well I am referring to factories moving to a cheaper part of town. Large factories that have been abandoned are the greatest eye sore.

Oh, yes, they certainly are indeed an eyesore!

6. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 10 years ago

If a building owner fixes up an eyesore, the owner's property taxes are immediately doubled; usually resulting in the owner's financial demise. Thus, building owners don't fix up their eyesores. Simple as that, unfortunately.

Hi paradigmsearch, WHAT!!! Now, what dummy thought that up, immediately the taxes are doubled???  Insane!  Well, they need to change that, especially after seeing that the businesses go out of business!  Well, I am learning a lot, and this one fact is discouraging!

7. Anna Marie Bowman profile image75
    Anna Marie Bowmanposted 10 years ago

I have seen situations where neighbors bought an abandoned house, tore it down, and built a community garden. It was a wonderful thing to see.  I have seen photos of Detroit and Gary, IN that look more like war-torn Europe during WWII, than a modern city. It's sad.

Hi Anna Marie, oh, now that is exactly what I am talking about, how lovely about the community garden.  Then on the other hand, yes, Detroit and Gary, IN ... how sad indeed  for any city in the US looking like it has been war-torn... when it truly does not have to be.  That is what I am thinking in my head, something to prevent such from just continuing on and on and on until the whole country looks like a pile of rubble with graffiti and such when it does not have to be if the citizens in a city, county or town truly care, they can step up and do something, anything is better than allowing it to go down to such a state!  Plus with all of the abandoned buildings, in the city in which I work, those turn into crack houses and gang-bangers and the like, which even cause more crime and violence.

2. FlourishAnyway profile image95
      FlourishAnywayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

That is a fabulous idea.  More green spaces, fewer wasted spaces.

Thank you, Flourish. I am all for no waste and more green!

8. sehrm profile image69
    sehrmposted 10 years ago

civic eugenics/first world problems.

9. suzzycue profile image87
    suzzycueposted 10 years ago

Awesome idea. You go girl. I myself cannot get through the winter without stockinbg up veggies from the community garden

Hi suzzy,  Thank you so much!  Aw, bless your heart.  I am so glad you have that community garden!!!  Hugs

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)