Do you have any shocking gaps in your knowledge (aka ignorance) ? :-)

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (63 posts)
  1. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 10 years ago

It occured to me the other day that I have a shocking gap in my knowledge. What is it? Apart from a few film themes, I couldn't name a single piece of music composed in the 21st century !!! Not even one! Although I could name a few celebrity pop stars like Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Beyonce, I can't name one single modern song they're responsible for. Is this shocking or what?

I'm not proud of this ignorance, but am I ashamed? Nope. Not a bit of it! It's not that I dislike all music - in fact I've even written three hubs about music I love - it's just that I dislike the great majority of modern songs, so I don't listen to the radio and I don't watch music shows. Rather than face the utter tedium of sitting through ten pieces of garbage to hear one nice song, I'd sooner just listen to CDs of old music I know I'll like.

Does anyone else have similar astonishing gaps in their knowledge, either about modern culture such as pop songs (in my view a commendable ignorance) or about serious and important subjects such as dinosaurs (in my view an atrocious ignorance - because I like dinosaurs! smile ). Are you ashamed sad or proud big_smile of your ignorance hmm on subjects which everyone else seems to know everything about?

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
      Melissa A Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ignorance to Beiber and Beyonce is commendable. I do everything in my power to avoid music by them but somehow it keeps ending up in my face so I'm wondering how you were able to achieve this? But there are other genres of music out there besides pop that you should try out. I generally have ignorance to anything politics.

Greensleeves Hubsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It takes great skill and meticulous planning to avoid modern popular culture Melissa. Maybe I could give lessons on how to achieve it?

As far as politics is concerned, certain aspects of the subject interest me greatly, but talk of party politics and especially economics, tends to leave me stone cold in a coma. Rather like pop songs - I could name most of the leading politicians from the past, but current members of my own British government ? - I haven't got a clue.

2. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Greensleeves,
      Do not. Repeat. Do not beat yourself up over this minor burden. I myself intentionally, and with forethought, avoid 21st century music if you can call it that.
      Beebs, Gaga, and most so-called Country singers turn my stomach because their songs, much like poppers, sound exactly the same.
      And Luke Bryan and that Shelton guy irritate me with their amateur brand of humor on the one hundred award shows they host for Country music.
      I simply don't care.
      I hope this reply helps you, but if it don't, email me and ill teach you for free, how to ignore these selections of fad music.
      Peace.
      K.

Kenneth - if I knew who Luke Bryan and Shelton were, I'd probably be able to agree with everything you've said, but I can't comment on them, because I've never heard of them before today, and I probably never will again after today. smile

1. kenneth avery profile image79

Greensleeves,
          You haven't missed anything. Take my word for it.
          K.
          Peace

3. B. Leekley profile image86
      B. Leekleyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I like songs by singer-songwriter Peter Mayer, such as "Blue Boat Home"; "Holy Now"; "My Soul", etc

Brian; the 3 music hubs I have written include one about the history of Christmas carols, one about an American folk singer Connie Dover, and one about the folksong 'Greensleeves' which gave me my username. So you can imagine I agree with you about Peter Mayer - MUCH more in keeping with the kind of music I most like! (Never heard of him before, but I just watched 3 videos, and there's probably more talent there than you'd see in 100 multimillion dollar pop celebs).

4. profile image0
      mariexotoniposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I felt like this today. I was thinking about the difference in what I say when I just am talking and going with the flow versus me talking when I have thoroughly thought about what I say and what exactly it means what it could imply.

I don't know why, but it just came up and slapped me in the face today that words- just one word- can have so much meaning. I don't know if I've ever appreciated the richness, complexities, mysteries and wonders about languages and words and how we construct meaning. It's so crazy and so automatic and natural. And I'm writing here on HubPages!

Has influenced me to re-examine my hubs and spend time fixing them up. It's just amazing what the potential power words can have.

5. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I have not ever owned a cell phone of any type. I know you push the talk button to talk and you push the end button (or red usually) button to stop talking - hang up. I am a cell phone illiterate.

Yep I can definitely go with that area of ignorance too. I do own a cell phone, but only for - guess what - phoning people. I know that's a novel idea, but I use my phone for phoning people. Occasionally I reply to a text message with a text, but I don't like doing so because it takes me 20 times longer to say anything. I do nothing else with my phone. I don't have 'apps' and I don't use it to connect to the Internet. Just what is the appeal of reading a web page on a screen small enough to fit in your pocket?? I don't understand!

But you know something - I work with people of all ages including some in their early 20s, and even some of these don't seem able to get to grips with all the functions on a modern cell phone. As for the older ones - technology develops so fast these days that peoples' ability to keep pace gets left behind.

6. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
      Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

No! Being uninformed is not ignorance. I do know some modern songs that I like but not a lot. I watch American Idol and the Voice. But mostly I stay in my own comfort zone where music is concerned. Having said that, I do enjoy most musical pieces at a given time.

7. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I probably have gaps in my ignorance, rather than gaps in my knowledge. smile

8. Sherry Hewins profile image92
      Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you don't listen to any modern music, how do you know you don't like it?

Ah Sherry - that's easy. It's because it's everywhere!! You can't really avoid it can you? It's blaring out of shops and bars, it's on every light entertainment show where they have a guest singer, it's on talent shows, and you hear it coming out of other peoples' radios. But if I don't like the sound, I don't make a point of finding out who the singer is or what the song's called. It just doen't register with me. That's why I made the point of saying I can't name a modern song. I've heard enough of them, but never bothered with writing down or remembering the names.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
          Sherry Hewinsposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I used to think the same thing. You have to dig a little to find the good stuff, but it's there.

9. Shinkicker profile image53
      Shinkickerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I'm opening up huge gaps in my knowledge of popular culture, especially TV. The internet offers so much more interesting and inspiring material.

10. mochirajackson profile image59
      mochirajacksonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't worry, my twelve year old daughters enjoy listening to 80s and 90s rock because they hate the 'rubbish' songs that are out today. Don't even mention Justin Bieber to them, LOL.

With regard to ignorance, I guess I'm a little ignorant about politics. I have a general idea of what's going on in my own country but I couldn't name many prime ministers or presidents of most other countries. I suppose I should make a effort and it is embarrassing sometimes, but it just doesn't interest me that much. They say never to talk about religion or politics though, so at least I can hide my ignorance most of the time!

11. amiebutchko profile image72
      amiebutchkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I, too, yes do have shocking gaps in my knowledge of so many things!  I know what I learned in school - I was a good, fast learning and could memorize facts.  But if I didn't specifically learn it in school - I am void of that knowledge - especially sometimes current events, which I am embarrassed to admit.  I am a mom, and have been holed up for ten years.  I feel quite out of touch!  I would probably be more embarrassed but I don't interact much with others who are different than me - intellectual conversations at the soccer field are pretty slim pickins.....

2. FatFreddysCat profile image93
    FatFreddysCatposted 10 years ago

I stopped paying attention to "current" music sometime in the mid 90s. Nowadays I tend to stay in my own little pop cultural bubble of stuff I enjoyed in my teens and early 20s (roughly the years 1984-1992)...I'm fine with being clueless about what's "in" at the moment.

Late last year, just for the hell of it, I listened to the top 10 singles of 2013 (as chosen by Entertainment Weekly magazine in their end-of-the-year issue) and I wrote a Hub about my impressions of each track. Let's just say that halfway through the experiment I wished I'd never started.

Ah! I wholeheartedly agree! I'm sure I may occasionally catch some new music on talent shows like 'The X Factor' (but even then the music is often from a previous era) but I just don't listen to the charts and I don't listen to stations playing contemporary music. I couldn't recognise one song or one album by name, and if one of these mega stars of recent years walked past me in the street I wouldn't recognise them either (unless it was Lady Gaga in one of her most bizarre costumes :-)

3. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91
    Greensleeves Hubsposted 10 years ago

Just read the hub by FatFreddy'sCat which he referred to in his comment - it's funny and in my opinion, true, so I'm sharing a link to it:

http://fatfreddyscat.hubpages.com/hub/M … es-of-2013

10 good reasons why I don't listen to new music (well 9 actually - I quite liked the Rihanna song) smile

4. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 10 years ago

The more you learn, the more you realise just how truly ignorant you are.
    I know a little about a lot of things, and some people know a lot about a few things.
    By the time you know a lot about a lot, you are very old and frail, and all that knowledge just dies with you when you go.
    How utterly depressing!

Right on, IzzyM,
      But oh what a journey.✌️

2. Greensleeves Hubs profile image91

Thanks a lot IZZYM. Before I read your comment I felt ignorant. Now I feel ignorant and depressed. smile

5. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

Im pretty sure I know virtually nothing about SERP or SERPS if it can be pluralized.

Wait I just remembered it means... search engine.... something something.... so it's official... I know a little bit about everything.

Beth37
      Guess what? I read in the Book of Ecclestiaes that too much wisdom is a wearisome burden, so I take that to heart. I want to know just enough to make my hubs sound sensible.

1. profile image0
        Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

It is wearisome being *this* knowledgeable, but if it makes you feel better, sometimes I still have to depend on spell check.

Beth; Yup, Internet jargon and abbreviations is another area of ignorance for me too. Being a HubPage writer who wants to make the most I can from writing here, I sometimes look at pages like 'Google Analytics' and try to understand them. But what do I find?

Bounce rates, intelligence events, dashboards, behaviour flows, first interactions, second interactions and drop-offs, engagements, affinity categories, in-market segments, goal conversions, goal completions, goal values etc etc etc.

Yes, you can easily find all of these jargon phrases within a few minutes on Google Analytics. I give up and go to bed with a headache. sad

1. profile image0

I had no idea it was that bad. I don't want to disarm a bomb, I just want to write a short story about a puppy and a butterfly.

big_smile  What will it be? An emotional journey home across America by a lonely puppy with only a butterfly for company? I can't wait for the Disney screen adaptation.

1. profile image0

Don't be silly! It's a romance.

6. janshares profile image92
    jansharesposted 10 years ago

You'd be surprised how much I don't know. I have plenty of knowledge gaps about several subjects, including today's pop culture, particularly music and actresses. It's no fun watching music award shows anymore because I don't know anybody and I don't know the songs that are nominated. I listen to news radio in the car, don't own an iPod or MP3 player, so I'm totally out out the loop. To sum up this post, I leave you with a little ditty:

Ask me 'bout pop culture fare?
    I'm as dumb as a bucket of hair,
    Bieber or Gaga, I don't even care,
    My right hand raised to you, I swear!

Janshares,
      I love your ditty. And I disagree with the text with a passion. YOU are not dumb at all. I tell you. Without God's grace I would have failed high school and couldn't afford college, so I keep that in mind that Our Creator has a plan for you and I who only think we do not know much.
      Love.
      K.

1. janshares profile image92
        jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, kenneth avery, God's love right back to you. Very sweet of you to say.

2. profile image0
      mariexotoniposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So relatable- I am completely clueless when it comes to our pop culture. My friends think I'm weird. I just tell them they're right.

I can't understand the fascination behind it all, really. Guess it just really does not interest me!

marie,
        Ditto.

I guess it doesn't matter too much does it! In 20 years time most of the public will be clueless about the pop culture of 2014. A new batch of 'sensational, brilliant megastars' will have come along and most of today's stars will be largely forgotten - how many teenagers today would even recognise the names of the acts at the top of the charts a decade ago? The term  'pop culture' I guess says it all - it's about those who are popular in today's culture - not those with the staying power to be remembered by generations to come.

7. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 10 years ago

"Does anyone else have similar astonishing gaps in their knowledge, either about modern culture such as pop songs (in my view a commendable ignorance)."

When you have lived several decades, been in school for several years, traveled to a number of places, read hundreds of books, and faithfully watched Jeopardy since Alex Trebek was a boy, you learn a lot of things.
    I am also ignorant about a great many things.
    It is not worth clogging up the already overpacked memory banks with totally useless information.---especially about pop music and culture.

1. profile image0

lol

Rochelle,
      For me to do research on subjects I hate makes no sense unless I get paid.

8. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 10 years ago

I have never found the proper response to "Does this make my butt look big?" even though half the population understands it quite well. 

Or for that matter most of what the female species (I'm positive by now they are a different species) says.

wilderness,
      Me either so I try not to stress.

1. wilderness profile image95
        wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

It does no good to stress; those of us with such shocking gaps in knowledge are doomed to be plodders, forever trying to understand, forever failing.

9. JessBraz profile image90
    JessBrazposted 10 years ago

This post makes me feel less old. lol.

I was at work the other day (yesterday in fact).. they play satellite radio where I work, and each day they chose a different station.. Yesterday it was mid-90's alternative... which I love love love.

I was happily working away, singing along at the top of my lungs (a fringe benefit I suppose, to not working with the public.. lol. I don't really care what my co-workers think of my singing voice. I don't have to put on a show for customers..anymore... man I hated working in customer service. lol.)  .. They played two of my favourite songs back to back "Yellow Ledbetter" by Pearl Jam and "Interstate Love Song" by The Stone Temple Pilots..

Both bands I have seen in concert. smile

Anyhoo, as I was singing along, some of the *ahem* younger kids I work with smiled and asked me what song this was.... I happily explained, "why, it's STP, of course" .... "huh! Never heard of them"

NEVER HEARD OF THEM?!?!?! Whhhhaaaaaattt?!?! 
    I'm not that old... approaching 30 (but not there yet!) ... These "kids" are only maybe 20? 21? .. And I feel like I'm light years older than they are..

I shudder to think how they would react if I told them I'm taking the day off next week to make sure I'm able to get tickets to the Fleetwood Mac concert coming to my area in the fall.. They'd probably blink at me and think I was speaking Chinese.

So, I guess I second everyone else's "gap" in current music knowledge.. I search around on the internet for a lot of "new" music... but never poppy bands.. Pop music today is "techno" music... I remember when pop music was kitchy love songs you could sing along with, not stuff you would listen to at a rave.

I think I mentally stopped aging somewhere in 1997...

10. cfin profile image65
    cfinposted 10 years ago

I work with scientists and my biggest weakness is science. Our conversations are horrible.

11. Gordon Hamilton profile image91
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 10 years ago

I could hardly name a pop or movie star beyond the 1980's (and I was only at High School then!) The last movie I saw at the cinema was the original Police Academy back in 1981. (I did go once with my ex to see "something" but fell asleep almost immediately and apparently embarrassed her so much with my snoring in the cinema, she would never let me go with her again). I only watch sport and factual documentary programmes/shows on TV, so no influence there.

On the plus side, I will be raising a glass to the legendary (and stunningly gorgeous) Doris Day tomorrow on the occasion of her 90th birthday... smile

I'm not quite as bad as that, but I've only been to the cinema maybe half a dozen times this century and wouldn't recognise most current film stars, and the CD with the most modern music that I've bought comes from the early 90s.

Combining film and music - Doris Day at 90! Thanks for that. As a child I loved her films and I think as a singer she's greatly under-rated. In her particular genre, she's the best ever.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image91
        Gordon Hamiltonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Just realised you're on the same side of the pond as me. If you're interested, BBC Radio 2 is broadcasting a birthday tribute to Doris Day from 8pm to 10pm (BST = GMT +1) this coming Friday (4th April), which is actually of course available worldwide online. I'm technically working but will certainly have the wireless on... smile

(Amended to include international time smile )

Thanks Gordon smile

12. lorlie6 profile image73
    lorlie6posted 10 years ago

Oh Gawd, yes!  I truly find the older I get, the more I realize I do not know...I think it's that simple, at least for me.

lorlie6,
      You know what old really is? I asked a young man about twelve, did he like The Foo Fighters, and he said, "he'll--o! That's like ancient history, dude." Then I continued feeling depressed and out of step with time.

1. JessBraz profile image90
        JessBrazposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Oh. My. The Foo Fighters are ancient history?! I feel so sad for the next generation. They don't know what good music is. The Foo Fighters are awesome.

1. Gordon Hamilton profile image91
          Gordon Hamiltonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I had to Google them - they're the teeny bop generation for me. I'd never heard of them before either, from the other extreme! smile

lol. I guess I'm right in the middle.. That's usually how it seems to be for me.. Never the oldest, never the youngest.. I usually fall somewhere in the middle in most situations. Always the middle child forever. lol.

They were in the outer fringe of "Generation X," the more-cleaned-up version of "their" music.

I knew when Janis, Jim (Morrison and Croche), Jimi, Otis, Brian, and Skynnard left us, old age had definitely moved into the backyard of my life and stalking me as fast as I was growing old.

Jess,
          I could write a hub on ways to tell that old age has bitten you.

That could probably be a really funny and creative hub! You know you're old when (or in my case, you know you're an '80s child when..) ... You remember using floppy disks... or, you still remember the Scruff McGruff theme song (Scruff Mgruff, chicago, illinois 60652!) .. lol. Okay, I'm getting carried away here. lol.

2. Shyron E Shenko profile image69
            Shyron E Shenkoposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Please do write that book, I want to know how far back in time I must go to find when I was bitten.

3. mochirajackson profile image59
          mochirajacksonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

The Foos rule! x

2. lorlie6 profile image73
        lorlie6posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't know Foo Fighters are, but that's cuz I'm so damned old-pushing the ole six oh.  Freaks me out big time, fifty was a major thing, but forty was the best decade of my life.

13. tirelesstraveler profile image61
    tirelesstravelerposted 10 years ago

You had me worried.  I was afraid you were grieving about this knowledge gap. I had that start in the 80's.  I had small kids.  By the 90's I was back as the kids got into music.  We went to trivia night at a local pub awhile ago. Our 21 year old got nearly half our points.  Thanks for the idea . Tonight is trivia night at the golf course and I don't have dinner plans.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)