I think, therefore I am

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (99 posts)
  1. janesix profile image59
    janesixposted 10 years ago

I have chosen Descartes to begin my study in rational thinking. Rene Descartes is famous for the quote "I think, therefore I am."

I want to make a stab and go a bit further.

Things I know:

I exist.
    I think.
    I can determine that some thoughts are more "good" than others.
    Therefore, morals must exist.

Things I don't know, but suspect:

There is a vessel that contains my mind (my body).
    There appear to be other entities who think and have bodies.
    There appear to be other things that don't think but have bodies.
    Therefore, other things besides me likely exist.

Things I don't know:

Are these other things that probably exist extentions of ME?
    Are things created, or do they merely exist?

This is just a bit of fun for me, please don't think I'm taking myself too seriously here.

1. Silverspeeder profile image61
      Silverspeederposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I found this very good observation of what Descartes probably meant by his statement.

The guy was trying to figure out if he could prove that he existed, cause it was trendy then to try to prove what all existed and whether or not anything actually existed at all. They had a lot of time on their hands.

He decided that the proof of his own existence was in the observation that he thought - had a mind that could think. So he decided that because he could think, he must exist.

I think. Therefore I am.

On a side note, this very guy once walked into a bar and ordered a drink. Bartender brought him a drink. After a while the barkeep noticed his glass was near empty. Another drink, Mr. Descartes?

I think not, said Rene.

And disappeared.

My own slant on Descartes statement would be " I am, therefore I think."
      Meaning I am happy with the idea that I already exist and will take up my time thinking about other things.

On the side note, I walked into a bar and ordered a drink. Bartender brought me a drink. After a while the barkeep noticed that my glass was nearly empty. Another drink Mr Silverspeeder?

I am here, therefore I think so

Enlightenment.....

2. Jomine Jose profile image71
      Jomine Joseposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I can think about unicorns
      Therefore, unicorns must exist?

janesixposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Do you think they do?

1. Jomine Jose profile image71

That was your argument, morals exist because you think so, mine is only an analogy.

Morals exist TO ME. Has nothing to do with the outside world. I'm not even sure that exists, remember?

'Exist' regards outside world only .

How can you prove to yourself that anything outside of your own thoughts exist? Through your senses?

Suppose there is a galaxy xyz exists a million light years away and scientists haven't discovered it yet, doesn't it not exist because we do not know about it?

1. profile image0
                    Rad Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

To us no, to it's inhabitants sure.

2. janesix profile image59

That's like the tree falling in the woods question. I would say, it probably exists. Like everything else probably exists. But I still can't say it absolutely exists. There is no way to prove it to myself.

2. profile image0

In your mind.

What is in your mind is  what you conceived - a conception, not real and hence do not exist (just because one can think about it).

Then what does exist? And can you prove it? Even to yourself?

Anything that has physical presence exist (that is independent presence regardless of mind).

What is a physical presence? Does it have to be material?

What else is the meaning of 'material' or 'physical'?

To me, not much. There is nothing that is physical or material.

2. profile image0

Thoughts are real.
            They are how we know we exist so the thoughts must be real.

The thoughts may not be right, but they are real thoughts.

Thoughts are 'real' only in relation to mind/brain, a connection between a few nerve cells.

That's interesting. Our opinions are exactly opposites. I can only prove to myself that my thoughts are real (although all my thoughts aren't necessarily true).

Exactly,  thoughts are only perceptions that has no existence.  If thoughts had existence we could dream anything into existence.

Why do you say that? I don't see how that conclusion necessarily follows. There are still rules (like the laws of physics). Maybe we can only dream certain things into existence.

2. profile image0

Still something real. Expressing the thought is also something real.

Things are real not the thought.

What is real?

Nothing physical is real. Just "waves' of collapsed probability. That doesn't even mean anything to me.

What's a physical thing? Nothing, really. A kind of barrier of force between other "things".

An electron is the only thing that I can think of that has it's own physical existence without being broken down into smaller parts. And what the heck is that? Is it physical? It has mass. What is mass,anyway? Just means it has volume or takes up space.

3. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

This is not necessarily true. From my understanding with logic it would look like this . . .

I think, therefore I am
      think, therefore am (The I's cancel themselves out)
      Think is an action
      Result of action is existence

Ponder a car moves. The car exists since an action occurs.
      Forget the observer point of view unless you decide it is important. If it is important then it is a result of deciding witnessing the car move with the sense is a fact. For Descartes it is not the witnessing - experiential knowledge of consequence it is the fact one does decide. The action of deciding equates to 'therefore I am'.

I'm not very logical:) That's why I'm studying logic, and Descartes. I only just started reading Discourse on the Method.

This post is more along the lines of my personal views. Not exactly though, just a kind of generalized version of how I'm thinking about the subject of existence (from my own personal point of view). I don't expect it to make much sense to anyone. else. Mostly just doing it as an enjoyable activity. Kind of like a thought experiment.

Introduction to logic by Copi is a good book if you want to study logic, philosophy is not a good place to study logic. If you want to study philosophy,  Will Durant's story of philosophy and 'socrates ti sartre' by Levine is a good introduction.  Right now I am reading basic teachings of philosophers by Frost, which divides chapters based on topic rather than philosophers by the former ones.

Thanks, I will put Copi on my reading list.

2. tsmog profile image83
          tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think every thought exercise is always worth it. I appreciate the forums when a thought exercise is a peer discussion focused on the exercise itself and the tangibles. Yes, intangibles will result with side bars sort to speak, yet a thread such as this offers with reading many views of sound reasoning to ponder. I tend to read much more than participate. This is one I follow because it seems to offer knowledge in many perspectives. smile

2. janesix profile image59

I think, therefore...I drink

smile lol

Sorry, I couldn't resist

3. janesix profile image59

Maybe our forms are only vessels created by us to contain our thoughts, in a manner to separate them from other thought complexes. Our way of becoming individuals. Or separating ourselves physically from other individuals.

1. profile image0

I'm afraid it's the other way around. Thoughts are a function of the brain.

That's the current theory. I don't think it's true though.

1. profile image0

Human babies don't become self aware until just before 2 (I think). When the brain and body matures so does thought. Thought is not independent of us. It's something our body does to survive.

Actually I agree with all that. The only difference is that I believe that the thought is the cause, not the effect.

1. profile image0

Afraid I don't understand, the thought is the cause of what?

Thought is the cause of all "physical" things. Our bodies, rocks, the sun. Plants. Each thing has it's own thought complex behind it. Each person or rock or animal. Except for things like bees, where the thought complex encompasses the whole hive.

EDIT: I'm kind of making this up as I go along, so bear with me unless that bores you:)

1. profile image0

The problem is matter has existed long before thought.

Unless atoms and rocks have a rudimentary form of thought.

2. lone77star profile image72
            lone77starposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Perhaps that's an average, Rad Man. 2 years?

My earliest memory was at 9 months. I was very self-aware, but English was still a new language to me. I could understand that my mother was angry and I had a sense of the thing she was angry about, but searched my soul for a reason how I could have forgotten to put up my toys.

And thought is independent, if we are in spirit. Too many are stuck in their Homo sapiens body.

1. profile image0

All hail the great lone77star. I should point out that we don't start to remember out memories into the adults years until we are about 3.5 years old. You forgot to put your toys up. I guess you were walking at 6 months as well right?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Childhood_amnesia

2. A Troubled Man profile image58
              A Troubled Manposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Considering that within the first year, a baby's brain development for learning is crucial in that it sets the stage for how it will learn the rest of it's life, however the baby has just more or less mastered the art of crawling, positioning and basic motor skills allowing it handle small toys. Certainly, at that age, a baby doesn't have the mental capabilities to comprehend even understanding the concept of putting up their toys, let alone remembering. A parent certainly shouldn't show angry behavior towards the baby because that expectation went unfulfilled.

Reality has a tendency to do that.

1. profile image0

Perhaps he confused months with years? A nine year old might be expected to put his toys away.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

You could be right, perhaps he'll clarify for us.

4. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

I think Descartes statement means exactly what is says, with no intermediate steps.  In order to perform though, one must exist.

Probably. I'm still reading his work (never have before.

This is just a fun post, I'm not trying to be truly serious. Just letting ideas flow here.

5. lone77star profile image72
    lone77starposted 10 years ago

Descartes also believed in God.

The universe exists, therefore He IS.

I have seen without these human eyes, therefore I am not my body. And not all out-of-body experiences require trauma, drugs or surgery.

Being able to think without a brain was very revealing, too. It let me know what Christ meant by everlasting life -- continuity of consciousness without a Homo sapiens "chalk board."

When we took the forbidden fruit (ego) in the Garden (Heaven), we lost our ability to see as spiritual beings. We were left in eternal darkness. Then Homo sapiens was created and we could see again, but darkly as if through smoked glass.

And when this species was threatened and the future existence of civilization in jeopardy, God brought the Flood to cleanse it of the threat. The Flood was an act of Love. None of God's children were harmed by it -- only the bodies they wore.

Rod Martin, Jr.
    "The Bible's Hidden Wisdom: God's Reason for Noah's Flood"

1. profile image0

Who saw without eyes? Did you use your imagination?

Who thought without a brain?

2. A Troubled Man profile image58

Did anyone else spew a mouthful of coffee on their lap?

1. profile image0

Yup. Someone is perhaps off his or her meds.

1. A Troubled Man profile image58

For some reason, I pictured George Carlin saying something like that in the middle of his standup routine.

6. janesix profile image59

(from Greek μᾶζα "barley cake, lump [of dough

I wonder is the religious term "mass" stems from this.

Like Christmas and Michaelmas.

"Mass" is one of the names by which the sacrament of the Eucharist is commonly called in the Roman Catholic Church,[1] Western Rite Orthodox churches and many Old Catholic, Anglican,[2] and Lutheran churches.[3] Apart from "Eucharist" others are the "Lord's Supper", the "Breaking of Bread", the "Eucharistic assembly (synaxis)", the "memorial of the Lord's Passion and Resurrection", the "Holy Sacrifice", the "Holy and Divine Liturgy" and "Holy Communion". wikipedia

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)