What is the purpose of Hub Of The Day?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Aneegma profile image70
    Aneegmaposted 10 years ago

For the last two months I have been monitoring hubs that are awarded HOTD and several things puzzles me..

Most of the hubs chosen have been written well over two or three years ago, some of them barely get any traffic and some of them are quiet frankly boring topics that are not hot topics or trending topics (Few of them are actually excellent) Some of them have no comments, and there was even one that had only one picture and nothing else.. no videos, no additional images or stats or all that. They were even some hubs that had horrible grammar, and don't get me started on spelling mistakes! There was also one hub that had less than a thousand words.

So my question is.. what is the purpose of HOTD?? For me I thought it was hubs that are fantastic hubs that have high views and high level of reader engagement and ranks well on search engines and those that have been recently written and also some sort of  cash prize is given. How does a hub qualify for HOTD and what criteria do the staff use to choose a particular hub? Shouldn't readers decide which hub should be HOTD??

Help me out here.. just trying to understand how it all works.

1. Melissa A Smith profile image95
      Melissa A Smithposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I think it's a good thing that they pick hubs with less attention. Don't you think they should help their writers get exposure? They should however be high quality. By the way, if there's a cash prize I certainly never got mine.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

After my last HOTD, I got lots of traffic from it - but then it was copied all over the place, so it looks like HOTD is for exposure and many people are careful about putting good hubs there because it leads to massive content duplication elsewhere...

Just as I was about to say I haven't been copied, I looked up one of my hub of the day articles and found it posted on a blog that is related to the subject. It doesn't appear to be a malicious intent. Should I care?

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
            Suzanne Dayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If it is copied in entirety and not just a paragraph then yes, it is probably taking traffic from you to some degree.

2. tsmog profile image83
      tsmogposted 10 years agoin reply to this

What an interesting hub idea. The history of HOTD . . . I'll ponder. Anyway of discovering past HOTD's?

2. Abbyfitz profile image74
    Abbyfitzposted 10 years ago

I have noticed lately that several had very poor grammar and spelling mistakes. You would think that HOTD would have higher standards that the rest of us should try to achieve.

3. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
    Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years ago

I'm surprized to hear about poor quality HOTDs.  I only read one or two a week, but I can tell you they are of better quality than they used to be under a different staff person.  Used to be, if it wasn't a "How To" it wasn't a HOTD.  Nice to see some variety. 

I have no idea how they get picked.  I know many great hubbers who've never had one.  But if they are getting copied, HP might need to apply the same standard they did to having a list of hubbers by hubber score.  They said the practice targeted those hubbers to be copied.  I was sorry to see that list go when I was new here, because it was a good way to learn from what HP considered to be the best.

4. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 10 years ago

Non-users aren't likely to even visit the front page of the site where the HOTDs are showcased, so I doubt poorly written ones reflect badly on the site or make people not want to visit anymore.

I had one once and I got a bump of internal views for a while and then the traffic went back down to its usual low levels.  The question of whether getting HOTD recognition results in higher traffic has been asked before, and I don't recall anyone reporting sustained higher traffic after making the front page.  In a nutshell, who cares?

5. zsobig profile image81
    zsobigposted 10 years ago

One of my hubs has been selected HOTD almost 2 years ago.  but noting else since.
    That hub is still moderately popular, so I am happy about it - and I was over the moon when it was selected 2 years ago. Still, it is true that it has been copied like a hundred times ever since. It was even included in 2+ presentations on sites like Prezi and with this, anyone could have downloaded it freely as well. Sometimes I keep thinking whether I should cry or be honored big_smile.
    Anyway, I agree with Aneegma that some of the latest HOTDs seem to be much poorer quality than the others. And I am not only talking about the grammar, but I remember seeing a few HOTDs with no proper picture attributions, more than average ebay/amazon capsules, etc. So they were not Stellar hub materials at all. And seeing this is discouraging, I have to admit.

6. Thief12 profile image89
    Thief12posted 10 years ago

I will disagree with the statement about them being "boring". Obviously not every topic is for everyone, but I've stumbled upon a lot of interesting gems on the HOTD that I probably wouldn't have found otherwise.

7. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years ago

There is a notice on the right of the news feed where hubbers can nominate a hub for HOTD.  So, those hubs are chosen by readers.

Actually that's 'Editor's Choice'.

2. Kathleen Cochran profile image77
      Kathleen Cochranposted 10 years agoin reply to this

If you can track down the current HOTD staff member, you can email mail them suggestions for HOTD.  I've done it many times, and they've actually been featured.

8. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 10 years ago

Oh, dear! My mistake here. The nomination form to the right is for 'Editor's Choice' hubs, not HOTD. sorry about that Aneegma.  As to my correct reply then, I have no idea how the HOTDs are chosen and often wonder why some were chosen.

9. profile image0
    Colin Nevilleposted 10 years ago

You ask "Shouldn't readers decide which hub should be HOTD??". 

No.  It would turn the site into a "I just LOVE your articles", kissy-kiss-arse-'Squidoo'-like place, as people vie for popularity.   It is best that someone outside the situation decides and picks a balance of majority and minority topics.  As to grammar and spelling, a large numbers of members use English as a second or third language and do their best to communicate. I don't see why they should be excluded from the running.

10. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 10 years ago

I have no idea how the HOTD is chosen but I was surprised to see some older ones chosen. I too thought it would only be chosen from recently published hubs. Some I have read have been really interesting and high quality, others left me wondering how they were chosen as the titles weren't engaging and the content very meager to say the least. It's on of those questions, like hub scores, that we may never know the true answer to.

1. sallybea profile image96
      sallybeaposted 10 years agoin reply to this

You can find the answer in the Learning centre:-

How is the Hub of the Day Selected?

Hubs of the Day are chosen by HubPages staff members based on their interesting subjects, beautiful formatting, and high quality writing. New Hubs are most frequently chosen, however old Hubs may also be selected and showcased.  I saw nothing about a 'cash reward' - now, that would be nice.

11. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 10 years ago

There is now actually link to nominate a Hub for HOTD; it's right below your profile photo, and above the current HOTD on your feed page.

Again, not HOTD, that's Editor's Choice.

12. profile image0
    LisaKeatingposted 10 years ago

Newbie here-- How do you see traffic on someone else's hub?

You don't...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)