Removing Copied Content

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (28 posts)
  1. Pamela N Red profile image82
    Pamela N Redposted 9 years ago

Someone here at HubPages has copied one of my articles. It was actually HubPages that added a copyright symbol letting me know. I flagged and notified HubPages of this but the story is still up.

Why would I have to file a DMCA report when it's in house and HubPages knows about this violation? The weirds thing is that's the only story he's posted probably using a fake profile.

I've had quite a few articles stolen lately and my patience is worn thin. It's to the point I don't even want to write online anymore and am looking at publication in ebook form instead. I can't get any writing done for filing DMCA reports, notifying the proper authorities as well as constantly looking for copied content.

I understand why so many writers have drinking problems. If I were young and able bodied I'd get a job digging ditches. At least people can't steal a hole in the ground.

1. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Pamela,
      I relate to your frustration having spent the last few days writing DMCA complaints. I'm finding entire websites that have copied our Hubs (into Russian, Chinese, etc.) This is uninspiring and it is no surprise the number of writers who are fed up with it.

Today I found the website Ka (nospace) Kun (no space) .ru where many hubs are posted under this guy's website. (KaKun (dot) ru
      He even posted the pics of my husband within the article!

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/8968236_f248.jpg

sad WHAT CAN WE DO TO STOP THIS?

Pamela N Redposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I know, it's a pain in the back side. I've set up Google alerts for all of my work but that doesn't seem to work either. Occasionally I'll put in a couple of sentences in the search bar to find copied work but it takes a lot of time when you have hundreds of articles out there.

That's what I've been doing, too, Pamela. I also ran a Google Search on my user name and was surprised at the results when you look a few pages back into the results.
          Hoping today we can move forward for a change.
          smile

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Pamela,

Sorry to hear this happened to you, ugh!

If the person posted your content elsewhere on HubPages, please follow these instructions to help us get it taken down asap: http://hubpages.com/help/copyright_infringement

Thank you, Christy, that was a big help.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 9 years ago

I suddenly had 15 stolen copies of my hubs listed today. I just got done filing the DMCA notices. There is nothing we can do to stop this, except to stay on top of it by reporting the plagiarized copies to the hosts of the sites involved.

Here's what I do about it:

If it's on a Google hosted site such as Blogger or Blogspot, then you can report it directly to Google for removal at https://support.google.com/legal/troubl … 14905?rd=2

If it's somewhere else, you need to send a DMCA notice to the hosting company. You can find the host by doing a whois search on the domain.

If they are using AdSense ads on the plagiarized page, you can report the violation to Google so they will lose their AdSense account. Report this at https://support.google.com/adsense/trou … 2&rd=1

If plagiarized copies are ranking higher than yours, then you can request Google to remove the index from the SERPs at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Pw1KVO … Y/viewform

One last thing: When you click the "file" link on the report from HubPages and it says they don't have DMCA contact information, then take the time to tell HP staff this information after you found it by the above methods. This will make it easier for all other Hubbers, who have hubs stolen, to report it.

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image83
      RachaelOhalloranposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paul Edmondson started a thread about this 12 months ago, and I left a comment on that thread...no answer 10 days ago and just left another now.
      The reason why I left it there is because ka kun ru has stolen Hubpages whole website and since this affects them on a much bigger scale than it does us - assuming they have a copyright or trademark for HP's format) I hoped they could get better response from their legal team than we can as individuals.  Our content is there but their whole website is there.
      Here's the thread,.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/121972#post2586170

2. RachaelOhalloran profile image83

I saw your comment there, Glenn.
      I was questioning Paul on whether he had a copyright on the whole site format. I do understand about our individual hubs, that was not my question. That site hijacked Hubpages format, then hijacked the hubs. Since we have had no luck, then maybe the bigger picture - the whole site format - can be addressed legally

1. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There is another forum thread about that site that stole the entire HubPages site. I don't see that HP staff responded in that thread however.

See http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/120933

1. RachaelOhalloran profile image83

yes,I wrote about ka kun ru and another site which has been half taken down, not completely healthylivingbox. com
          . I was just commenting on Paul's because I thought it would kick in his notifications that someone commented on his thread.

3. RachaelOhalloran profile image83

I will send HP email when I get back on. I'm on open server right now.  Just checking email and getting off. Our house will be ready to go with internet tomorrow or late tonight.

4. Pamela N Red profile image82

I do all of that for articles that are on other sites. My question is why HubPages doesn't remove an article when they see that it's copied content?

1. ComfortB profile image86
        ComfortBposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Could be because it brings them traffic both ways.

It's tiring and a waste of our time to be chasing after these hoodlums who think they can rip people off their hard work. I have about five hubs stolen about three of them leads to a blog, and I can't seem to find my hubs on there. One is already being taken care of since I  filed a DMCA on it.

5. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Glen for the info.

These are really helpful links, Glen. Thanks.
        Peg

3. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

The hub I'm chasing down right now for being copied does not get a lot of traffic at all. So I'm sure that was not the incentive for posting it. My gut tells me it wasn't malicious, they just liked the article. The last time it happened (same article), it was someone I knew in my community and they took it down right away. This time, it's another community oriented website where I live! I contacted the editor to no avail. I'm getting frustrated and really don't have time for this madness.

I don't waste time contacting the author or editor. I just file the DMCA directly with the hosting company. They always take it down within 24 hours.

1. wilderness profile image96
        wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Same here.  I've so seldom gotten a reasonable response from the thief that I don't even bother any more - just go to the host.  Only once have I had trouble there (from a very questionable company in Europe that has many very bad reviews) and even that one was eventually resolved.

I also had trouble with a non-responsive host. But the thief had AdSense ads on the page, so I reported it to Google and in a short time it was gone. They don't like it when people abuse AdSense. They obviously have the clout to go after the host.

1. GmaGoldie profile image79
            GmaGoldieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is important information - thank you for sharing!

2. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The madness is over, the editor responded. My hub has been removed from the offending site with diplomacy smile No need to file a DMCA. Glad I followed my gut.

4. Karen Ranoni profile image39
    Karen Ranoniposted 9 years ago

Jan- If you are the person who stole her article you sure do not have the right to be so rude. Get some humility and admit it's easier to steal from someone else much more talented than it is to do what the rest of us have to do which is actually WRITE an article, that people want to read that is accurate and honest. You should apologize.

1. janshares profile image94

?????? What? I think you've misunderstood, Karen.

5. Karen Ranoni profile image39

I am sorry, I apologize if I mistook the post. I thought that you were the person who stole her content. sad
    I was commenting on how you should be nicer. I don't usually insert myself into other people's conversations, but I thought that had you been the culprit lol you should be more humble. Sorry about that! Have a great day.

1. janshares profile image94

Read the forum post below to see that I was referring to my own hub which was copied. I was showing empathy with Pamela N Red by sharing my experience.
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/121961

6. Karen Ranoni profile image39

Ya I'm sorry about that!

7. GmaGoldie profile image79
    GmaGoldieposted 9 years ago

I have finally gone beyond contacting the author - oh, this is so frustrating. I hate to do this stuff. HP did make it much easier by writing the complaint for me and I am forever thankful.

I copied into a text box marked do not display so that I could document and track.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)