Copied Hubs - I found the answer!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Suzanne Day profile image92
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Hi all,

I've been using Google Alerts to find and report duplicated hubs without having to spend hours doing a monthly search for them. Here's what you do. Go to Google Alerts, add an alert and copy and paste the headline in "" into the alert, eg., "Headline". Then select -

How often - "As it happens"
    How many - "All results"
    Deliver to - make sure email is correct.

Then repeat process with snippets of content contained in " ".

I already received some notification of problem websites using this method and was able to deal with them straight away! Here's my handy book of links:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Report Them To Adsense (if they are displaying Adsense ads)

https://support.google.com/adsense/cont … eport?rd=1

Report DMCA - for complete duplications

https://support.google.com/legal/troubl … 14905?rd=2

Google Spam Report - for spun articles and funny meta text

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/spamreport

Report Remove from Google Search (Webmaster tools) - for when website comes up but isn't available anymore.

https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/dmca-notice

Google Scraping Outrank - for when a duplicated hub is above yours in search results.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1Pw1KVO … Y/viewform

This whole process just got a lot easier. Once you've checked your hubs and put them all into Google Alerts, then all you have to do is add new hubs to Google Alerts before you publish them. Problem solved!!!

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks this information is helpful.

2. noenhulk profile image61
      noenhulkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is really useful for writers and authors not only here but for the entire worldwide web with google alert. Thanks for sharing!

3. Penny Sebring profile image92
      Penny Sebringposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you. That makes it much easier to know what to do if anyone copies our hubs.

2. selly agtus profile image61
    selly agtusposted 9 years ago

hello suzanne...i'm selly from indonesia...

3. Lavender Sunshine profile image57
    Lavender Sunshineposted 9 years ago

If you just register every time at copyrighted.com and place it on your hubs this might alleviate others from stealing your content. You can prove it was yours by registering there.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That won't stop anyone stealing it - most of the thieves don't care about copyright.   If you file a DMCA notice to get stolen content taken down, the host (or Google) doesn't look at copyrighted.com either.  Waste of effort.

4. Carola Finch profile image92
    Carola Finchposted 9 years ago

This info would make a good hub.  Problem is I am in Canada.

5. Suzanne Day profile image92
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

I don't think registering your work is enough to prevent thievery, only helpful in lawsuits (and since I have the original date and time stamped files of my hubs in Microsoft Word, as well as backup date stamped html copies, I'd win anyway). Google Alerts means you can actively find out what's being posted on the whole web and deal with copies before they've had time to sit too long.

6. relache profile image71
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Suzanne, have you ever considered the actual likelihood and cost of an actual lawsuit over an internet article?

Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Not really. Either the copier is making heaps of money and you should sue them to rake it back, or use your date stamped originals to prove to third parties like Google and Hubpages etc etc that you are the original owner, should it be in dispute, and not bother suing over any small amounts.

In the case of a hubber who had her article published for millions of people to see on a leading Chinese newspaper, I would considering suing them for damages. It could be quite lucrative, considering they'd be caught in a media storm over nicking content off the internet for their "news". Court costs could be covered in the suit too.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

China doesn't have the copyright laws we do. They even steal books and republish them, sewing patterns, and the list goes on and on.

1. Supuni Fernando profile image68
          Supuni Fernandoposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is very true, we have enough copyright violations from China concerning paintings from art sites.

2. noenhulk profile image61
        noenhulkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's what China is all about when it comes to copying and/or plagiarism. So it is better, and I agree that suing them is very lucrative. I also thanks the poster here about how to solve this copying problem. It is helpful for members here.

7. brakel2 profile image72
    brakel2posted 9 years ago

Great idea Suzanne. I have used Google alerts and had luck. I just need to do it on every new article. My husband is in a class action lawsuit and I get updates that way too. You can use it for many things - even updates for hubs.

8. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

Very useful indeed. Thank you, Suzanne!

9. oceansnsunsets profile image84
    oceansnsunsetsposted 9 years ago

Hi Suzanne, those seem like good tips. I haven't gotten that far yet, and need to work on the copied content thing.  I was just in my HubPages account, and found about 25 different copied content things there, with a DMCA complaint link, ready to go?   Do you use that "copied hubs" tab ever, and are these other methods above and beyond that?

I haven't tried to get content off another site for some time.  I am honestly not sure where to begin.  It is so frustrating and so odd to see others take your things, and be possibly earning on it. 

Thanks for what you shared, and as I have time I am sure I will use some of those ideas too.

I have had 1 reported copied hub here on Hubpages. The funny thing is that there were hundreds more out there that didn't get picked up, so I wouldn't rely on it.

1. PegCole17 profile image94
        PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Me too, Suzanne. I spend more time these days trying to chase down the copies than writing. I'm going to use your method and set up some Google Alerts. Does using the headline alone draw in the copy cat sites? I was going to try phrases of text too since I've found other sites where the translations don't convert exactly.

Use the headline in " " as well as about 4 snippets from the hub (try to pick original sounding sentences that would definitely be obviously copied from your hub). Also put them in " " in Alerts. If you don't use the " " you'll get heaps of additional stuff emailed to you that might not be relevant.

10. Relationshipc profile image86
    Relationshipcposted 9 years ago

Very nice. I just found ANOTHER copied article of mine today, and I had a hell of a time getting a hold of him. So, now I have more of a game plan!

11. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

Hi Suzanne.

Do you report them to adsense as well as filing DMCA? And if so, does it matter what order you do that in?

What happens when you report them to adsense? (Do you have to file the DMCA first?)

I quite like the idea of stopping thieves from making money!

1. Writer Fox profile image30
      Writer Foxposted 8 years agoin reply to this

If the plagiarist site is using AdSense, I report to AdSense first.  Then, I wait a few days and file the DMCA with the host.  AdSense has to be able to see the stolen content on the site before the hosting service removes it in response to your DMCA notice.   

Getting plagiarists banned from advertising accounts is the best way to put content thieves out of business.

1. LongTimeMother profile image93
        LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, Writer Fox.
        Until now I have been filing DMCAs ... but will certainly report to AdSense from here on in. What kind of result do you see? Have you seen entire sites lose AdSense?

Yes, many times.  Here's how you report to AdSense:
          https://support.google.com/adsense/trou … 0500?hl=en

When they lose that account, they usually go to Bidvertizer, or one of the other alternative advertising services.

Here's the letter I send: http://justpaste.it/l3it

I used the link Suzanne provided a few hours ago for one offender.

Wish I'd had this letter! I didn't think to ask for the money ... but I will next time.

Have you received payment for any of your copied content?

No, you won't get any money.  But, you'll get the plagiarist's account closed sooner! lol

lol. Okay, I'm definitely using it!!

I have another related question ... I'll post a new reply. Hoping you might help me with it as well. smile

2. Suzanne Day profile image92
              Suzanne Dayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Artists are the ones who have more potential to sue for money. Writers don't get much money, so we focus instead on closing them down.

2. Thomas Swan profile image96
            Thomas Swanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the link. I'll certainly do this next time I see an infringement with an ad on it.

12. LongTimeMother profile image93
    LongTimeMotherposted 8 years ago

I know nothing about tumblr. Can I have these pages removed?

http://     successfullylivingoffgrid.     tumblr.com/
    Lots of my photos, plus some text.
    Yes, there's links to my hubs ... but my photos don't lead to me at all.

Plus ....

http://  off-gridliving.tumblr.com/post/109983884626/     reasonistruth-top-tips-for-living-off-the-grid

This is one of my pics, inviting people to follow, with 30,196 hits. Long list of people liking and 'reblogging' it but I'm guessing that's just sending people to the tumblr page ... which may or may not result in them clicking on the photo to get to my hub.

Whether or not it results in additional traffic, it annoys me.

I have no objection to pinterest, but they don't steal my photos. What do you do about tumblr?

Tumbler is just a place to host a free blog like Blogger or Blogspot.  Definitely get your work removed:
      https://www.tumblr.com/dmca

Will do. Thanks. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)