The worse flood in Arizona History! Do Floods Scare You?

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (32 posts)
  1. profile image0
    swilliamsposted 9 years ago

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/9806868_f520.jpg
    I woke up this morning and my entire neighborhood green belts and  all are flooded. Recorded as one of the worse floods in Arizona History. The Football game  San Diego Chargers and Arizona Cardinals will still take place. I took a picture of a little baby submerged in our new lake.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image60
      The Examiner-1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do not know, because the worst that I have seen on my street is several inches running in the sides of the street.

1. profile image0
        swilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Did you move back to Arizona Examiner 1? Thank you so much for your bird advice! You would have thought I hit big bird with my car...There were so many feathers. I hope I'm not being nosy, however are you Mr. or Miss or Ms.or Mrs. Examiner-1 if you wish to remain incognito I will respect your privacy. I've read your Hubs which I am a fan of and tweet out and am excited about sharing with others.

Well I got of topic again...

Yes this was the  worse flood ever says the Washington Post.
        http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post … -flooding/

I lived in AZ, for about a year or two, but it never rained that I remember. I looked at the video, it probably flooded like that because it rarely rains out there. You said that you woke up and looked out at the flood - did it affect you?
          Now I live in GA and it usually  rains at least 2+ times per week. Occasionally there is a whole week without rain but it is rare. I have heard about floods in other counties in this state but I seem to have chosen a good spot in which to live.
          Do you know if you hit a small bird like a crow? I am a Mr., there is no Miss or Mrs. You are welcome for the bird advice, I hope that it helped.
          I hope that you have a nice week - and do not hit any more birds!

1. profile image0

The storm was frighting, because it shook windows of the house. But I did not expect to see water all over the place. Roads were closed. However now they are clear.

I think there is a crazy bird epidemic going on. Sky Harbor was having bird problems as well the birds flew into the propeller.

I hit a rather large bird. I do believe it was a jevonvedra bird... the sound was horrific!!! It sounded like a garbage disposal chewing up a bird, the grill of my car was mess.

I'm glad that it was not a cat...I would have passed out.

Thanks for your well wishes! big_smile

The propellers of airplanes? Or the ones on those large fans for saving energy?

That must be an AZ or a western bird because I have never heard  of it.

1. profile image0

You are so right Examiner-1 it was an energy fan. Wow! Do they even make propeller airplanes anymore? I think that was during the Great Gatsby Days.

Yes, swilliams, they do make propeller planes, maybe not as many as before. Plus there are still some from even as far back as WWI around.
                  It is mostly the geese, I think, but there are other birds that usually hit the planes when they are flying high like in migration. Then it is in flocks (groups).

2. profile image0

The bird I hit looks like this http://jevonvedra.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/sea-birds/

I don't know what there doing in Arizona. There sea birds.

That is a big one!! I am going to research these birds, they look like a form of herons or cranes. Perhaps that is something like a Latin name.
                There may be a big storm at sea. The sea birds out there usually come in a ways when there is.

1. profile image0

That would be great Examiner-1! I saw five of them while running my errands and my neighbors roosters were next to my mailbox again, and there were three ducks in the swimming pool... but I got rid of them by putting pinwheels up. This place is turning into Alfred Hitchcock's Bird Movie.

There is this woodpecker two of them... I'm sorry but... I strongly dislike woodpeckers, they keep knocking like they are building something huge! And their construction project starts early in the morning.

I had a bird family that tried to make their home in the wreath of my front door, when I tried to stop them the mom bird tried to peck my head off.

I've been having some bird issues lately.

I know I'm off topic. But I can't take pictures of birds like you can. They run off or fly away.

I think I may be able to get a picture of the roosters though.

My neighbor is really nice, but he has to do something about those roosters.

What is great? That I am researching this bird? Well I may have found out that the name which we thought was the bird is actually the person who wrote the information. When I Googled that name, it turned out that there were several blogs with that name. None of my Internet bird sites had info on the name. I am still digging on it.

2. Sed-me profile image78
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What city was this in? I remember one in Tucson in the 80s that was probably the biggest one up to that point. Floods are not uncommon b/c of the washes... the water comes flooding down off of the mountain(s) and fills the washes to overflowing. Ppl ride their ATVs in them, and kids play in them, but they are always warned that it is a huge danger. Then when the water comes pouring down out of no where, lives are lost.

1. bBerean profile image60
        bBereanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

1980 or '81 perhaps?  I was in Phoenix and flooding took out a major bridge.  I was amazed because it didn't seem to me like it had rained that much.

1. Sed-me profile image78

Dude, you were only 2 hours away from me when that happened... and let's see... I think it was in '81. I was in the 7th gd... 12 or 13.

Small world.  Always amazing.   I remember the news repeatedly showing some guy using a hang glider to cross to go to work while the bridge was out.

I had just arrived in Oct. of 1980 from Ct. we didn't have a lot of floods there, but we had the most beautiful mornings the first snow of the season. It was like Narnia.

I remember my first impression of Phoenix.  I believe it was 124 degrees and I was driving a 427 Chevelle with the heater on full, trying to keep the big block from overheating.  I had no reason not to think that was normal so I almost turned around and left.   Fact is that was a record setting day and it never got that hot again the whole time I was there.

That is so funny. When I lived in Tuc. we had a VW bug. They pour out heat at your feet... I don't remember why. I was very pregnant, in July and Aug., no air conditioner and I'd get to my husband's place of work, after crossing town, and just kind of fall inside the air conditioned building.

Then our first summer in Phoenix, that great big billboard on the freeway, said it was 123. Ppl don't understand that children fall down on the blacktop and get third degree burns... that the metal on your seat belt could scar you. I heard a preacher say once that the only reason ppl settled there was that's where all their horses died.

2. profile image0

Lol! This is not a good State to drive in without air.

2. profile image0

It hit all over...and it's raining again! It's starting smell gross. I'm on the outskirts of Phoenix. Phoenix is getting a lot of rain. I have never visited Tucson. Did you like Arizona?

I learned to like AZ. I hated it for the heat. But the sunsets and desert beauty grow on you as you get older.

2. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

I do not live in Arizona but floods do scare me.  That flood was awful.  I live near the river in New York City.  I love the coastline; hopefully, there won't be a flood.  However, it was announced yesterday that there will be a flood watch on the coastline from 7 to 11 p.m.  Tsunamis are even more deadly dangerous than floods.

1. profile image0

I hate the smell of water that has been sitting around for too long. However everyone seems to enjoy the flood at least some people do, they swim in it and they are taking out their canoes...it's weird.
      I wish you well G Williams! I hope to visit New York one day! I heard Christmas there is so beautiful!

2. Sed-me profile image78

Don't be afraid.

1. profile image0

Thanks one I shall become brave. Oh by the way you were right about the Chipotle chicken meat. I found out that it would not be fair to have more meat because their is a mad rush that comes in. They portion it according to the size of the customer. If  I want extra I must pay $2.00.

Say what? Are you sure about that? I find that hard to believe.
          Can you imagine the server looking you up and down before dipping the food.
          I'd be like, "Hey! Why did you give me THREE pieces! What are you trying to say!"

1. profile image0

I know!!! I went to Chipotle with the poem that you wrote, but the line was so long and I felt bad for asking about the chicken meat situation however I overheard a lady telling a customer that she needed to pay extra $2.00 for more meat. And It happened again the guy in the blue shirt got more meat than me. The line is always out the door. I really should not complain about stuff like this. I should be working on articles but instead I'm hitting birds, taking pictures of floods, and bothering people at Chipotle's... I need to settle down.
            http://s2.hubimg.com/u/10130681_f1024.jpg

3. kiranshys profile image57
    kiranshysposted 9 years ago

Even here in India too. Kashmir has become the worst place and people are facing the situation like in hell.

1. profile image0

kiranshys, that is so awful I will keep India in my prayers. The water has cleared up on the outskirts.I can see the green belts again, however the inner city of Phoenix is not doing well at all, some people had to leave their homes the damage is pretty bad.
      http://s1.hubimg.com/u/10129344_f1024.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)