Squidoo / HubPages traffic comparison

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (27 posts)
  1. TolovajWordsmith profile image89
    TolovajWordsmithposted 9 years ago

My lenses were transferred to HubPages only about 30 hours ago. I am pretty disappointed with hubscores of my lenses (but not too surprised) and very happy with the traffic, which has been (in last 24 hours) on the same level as a full week on Squidoo.

Google is still my best friend and it looks Bing is finally starting to like me as well:)

Care to share your first impressions, ex-Squids?

1. Blowfishltd profile image61
      Blowfishltdposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. Writer Fox profile image31
        Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Remember, on HP your own views are counted in the total, too.  (You won't get paid for these, but if you are viewing your own Hub 10 or 20 times before publishing or while editing after you publish, those views are in the tally.)

2. ILoveLegosToo profile image83
    ILoveLegosTooposted 9 years ago

My lenses were transferred on Monday, and I didn't know what to expect for my hubscores.  After 3 days, the hubscores have changed dramatically from where they started.  My favorite hub (lens) was my lowest hubscore for two days, however, it has since risen to a respectful level.

As far as traffic goes.  Remember you can't compare the stats from the Squidoo site with the stats here since Squidoo had a seven day unique visit rule.  You could use Google Analytics to compare traffic if you have them on both sites.  With that said, it feels like the hubs are getting more traffic.

1. neosurk profile image87
      neosurkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Ditto! The hubs seem to be getting a lot of traffic than lenses. But again, they may not be uniques.

3. ologsinquito profile image83
    ologsinquitoposted 9 years ago

I only had 18 lenses to transfer, which are now on my other account, and they were getting little traffic to begin with at Squidoo. They are getting a few more visits now. They really had nowhere to go but up.

Traffic, here is good overall I think.

4. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I had 38 transfer over, and 10 that were newly created while I was waiting. The hub scores on all of them the first couple of days were bleak. However, now that I've started editing a few, and it's been almost a week since my transferred lenses arrived, things are looking up. The transferred ones I've edited shot to the top of my list pretty quickly.

Google is not my best friend here yet. Internal traffic, Facebook and Pinterest have all been better.

5. carny profile image90
    carnyposted 9 years ago

Seems HubScore depends on traffic a lot, and us Squids start with 0 in this regard, so no surprise there. Mine have been growing every day for every lens... uh, hub, which is getting at least some traffic.

Actually, No.  Hubber Score is mostly about how your Hubs are rated by QAP.  Your score will probably stay low until you edit some of your Hubs, which sends them through QAP.

1. Solaras profile image95
        Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Is QAP the hub hopper or something else?  I made minor edits yesterday, and 3 hubs dropped 11 points a piece.

QAP involves assessments from the Hub Hopper and from MTurk raters through the Amazon Mechanical turk program.  Hubs are definitely re-rated with each new edit, but Hub scores can change even without editing:
          https://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome

I think it is unbelievable how the scores change on the same Hub from month to month and that is why there are so many complaints about the system on the forum.

6. Coffee-Break profile image84
    Coffee-Breakposted 9 years ago

Not sure how the hub-score is calculated, but I noticed that after updating my hubs the score has increased.

With regards to traffic, comparing the traffic in Analytics, I have about 70% more traffic now, compared to Squidoo.

7. WriterJanis2 profile image77
    WriterJanis2posted 9 years ago

My scores initially were from the 40s-60s. Now they are ranging from 30s-90s. I find my edited ones are on the rise. However, my highest is ne that hasn't been edited and doesn't get much traffic.

1. Coffee-Break profile image84
      Coffee-Breakposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am getting similar rankings, and I would like to make sense of the ranking algo better.
      However, I try to follow the advice on the top right corner of the page. This seems to work.

2. TolovajWordsmith profile image89
      TolovajWordsmithposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If this hub with low traffic got votes up, the score can be on the rise as well.

8. sockii profile image70
    sockiiposted 9 years ago

All of my transferred lenses started with a score of 50-51. Without touching them at first some dropped down to a low of 34, some rose quite high on their own (with over 200 lenses to fix, it's taking considerable time to get to them all).

Since then (almost 2 weeks for me now), the ones that I still haven't edited or touched all are hub scores of 61 - 89, at the moment. So it has to have something to do with traffic, not just rating the content. WITH editing my score range is 61-94, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it that I can figure out, so I'm pretty much just ignoring the scores. I don't really see getting hung up on a number that make no sense...I just edit to fix violations and follow the style tips as best as I can.

1. TolovajWordsmith profile image89
      TolovajWordsmithposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Fresh published or edited hubs get ratings from real people - you can participate in the process from your dashboard at /my account/ - look for tab saying help us out, hop some hubs (top row, first tab on the left - just to get the feeling what is rated.

In the long run - traffic is your major concern for earning and hubscores.

2. Dressage Husband profile image67
      Dressage Husbandposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I had exactly the same experience as you Sockii mine all came in at 50 and then spread out from 40 to 80 range over a day or so. After editing the bad ones they are now in the range of 50 to 80. However some of the top ones are unedited lenses still. I had 47 lenses to work on and so far have only completed half. My traffic has gone up nearly 100% on Google Analytics. Ad revenue is higher, but I only had 2 Amazon sales in September both on Squidoo before coming over. I have 3 Amazon days still pending from over 48 hours ago, i.e two days after are both confirmed already, does that mean a possible sale? Not sure how long before the sale registers here.

9. ologsinquito profile image83

I'm actually getting a little search engine traffic with my 18 transferred lenses. This wasn't happening on Squidoo.

You can see where your traffic is coming from by going to a Hub and clicking on the 'stats" button on the black menu bar at the top. Then, click on the 'Total' on the top menu tab:

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/11281529.png

To see when search engines last crawled your Hub, click on the 'Search' tab:

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/11281310.png

10. Greekgeek profile image77
    Greekgeekposted 9 years ago

All my transferred lenses have now been living on Hubpages for a week and a day, and I had Google Analytics tracking on both sides of the transfer, so I was able to do an apples-to-apples  traffic comparison.

Bottom line: if you average the three weeks before the transfer and compare it to the week after the transfer, my traffic is up at least 140%.

I say at least, because I deleted over 100 lenses in the two days before lens editing was frozen.

Look up my Greekgeek blog for the whole scoop. I've put up my raw data from Google Analytics, plus a preliminary Quantcast snapshot of how the Squidoo transfers are impacting Hubpages traffic as a whole. You can really see the role Panda has played in all of this.

11. ologsinquito profile image83

WriterFox, these are things I didn't know. Thanks so much.

Also, WriterFox, do you have any idea what is going on with Pinterest? There seems to have been some sort of shift.

I'm not sure what you are seeing that is different about Pinterest.  Can you be a little more specific?

12. ologsinquito profile image83

I'm not sure exactly, but it seems as if certain pins, which are not mine, are getting picked up more than my own. This didn't seem to be the case before. I wonder if anyone else has noticed. It could just be that the site has had so many changes lately. But I was curious.

13. ologsinquito profile image83

I noticed this right when I was not always able to see my own pins in my feed. Others have mentioned the same thing.

I just tested my Pinterest, added some pins, refreshed the feed page, and they showed up.  I think if you are following a lot of heavy Pinners, they do tend to crowd your feed page.  I think the answer there is to just quit following the ones you don't enjoy.

1. ologsinquito profile image83
        ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That might be the solution. Sometimes my pins show up, other times they don't.

I just followed you on PI.  You have more than 14,600 Pins!!!!! (You've been busy.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)