Heads up about warnings and lockings before grace period or editing ha

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. LisaMarieGabriel profile image86
    LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years ago

Today a moderator unpublished one of my pages manually - thus over riding the 4 month grace period. The page was counted as overly promotional mainly because of Zazzle links I think. In addition, it is now reading the two links I have as three. It had not been edited since April. Now if this is the shape of things to come, what are we to do? I have unpublished all pages with zazzle violations fortunately but obviously missed this one. I thought the grace period was inviolable until we went into a page to edit it? Any thoughts? Answers? Obviously my fear is the email that goes with the manual locking threatens you can be banned for future violations. This does not seem fair at all!

1. Shades-of-truth profile image82
      Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LisaMarie - please explain what you mean by "a moderator unpublished one of my pages manually". Did you get an email stating that, or a message on that hub, or...?

I am asking, simply because I was also under the impression that nothing would be unpublished unless we edited it, and it was in violation of policies.

2. Writer Fox profile image31
      Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

<snipped>

1. justholidays profile image67
        justholidaysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

???

2. lisavollrath profile image93
        lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Really? Not helpful.

1. NanLT profile image80
          NanLTposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I consider it to be a blatant attack on another Hubber.

1. Writer Fox profile image31

Which Hubber?

1. NanLT profile image80

Your image and your comments - are a blatant attack towards Lisa.

Nope.  I give her helpful advice: (It doesn't mean, however, that you can't make improvements and resubmit your Hub for publication. You can reply to the email you were sent and ask for advice on how make the Hub acceptable.)

You didn't.

2. Writer Fox profile image31

It could have been helpful, if that Hub had in fact been moderated.  Now, it seems, HP is just going to let unvetted content remain on the site for four months while Panda (and then Penguin) attack.  Whatever will the stockholders say?

1. NanLT profile image80

Really Auntie?

I am reasonably certain that the people who made the decision about buying the rights to Squidoo (however it may have been ironed out in the sales negotiations) would have taken into account what sort of impact it might have on HP as a whole.

Meanwhile, perhaps a bit of focus on improving your own Hubs and a bit less on dragging down those you are afeared might be taking away your custom.

Are you from India?

3. Camille Harris profile image86
      Camille Harrisposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Lisa!

I took a look in your account and none of your Hubs/transferred Lenses have been moderated. Can you email us so we can get to the bottom of this?

Thanks for your help!

LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Camille,

I sent a reply to the email I received this morning:

Your Hub, Microscopes for Science Enthusiasts 
        From    HubPages team@hubpages.com

This hub was highlighted in red on my dash. Since I removed the Zazzle links the writing has gone green, but it remains unpublished for now with the following message at the top.

"Please review the moderator set alert below, and correct any problem they identify if possible.
        Overly Promotional
        This Hub has been submitted for publication, and will be published once it has been reviewed by the administrator."

Thank you,

Lisa

1. Camille Harris profile image86

Thank you, Lisa! I'll take a look now.

Thank you Camillle

1. Camille Harris profile image86

Hi Lisa,

Thanks for your patience while I looked into the issue. I couldn't find a human moderation for that Hub, so I suspect it was unpublished by the bot.

Regarding the 4-month Grace Period, it only applies to Lenses that came over as featured. From the Squidoo Transition FAQ:

"For this reason, Lensmasters will be given a generous grace period of 4 months to address warnings on their new Hubs that came over as featured. However, once you edit a Hub the grace period ends, and you must fix all violations immediately."

I republished your Hub. I hope the information above clarifies the issue. I'm happy to answer any other questions you may have - just let me know. smile

Thank you very much for republishing. I appreciate that Camille. It did come over as featured as all my lenses did. I do appreciate there is work to be done particularly with regards to Zazzle pictures and links which I have used for years to break up text blocks. Also Score Exchange which is a well respected site that runs no affiliate programmes whatsoever but is nevertheless not white listed and affects me as a musician. I have unpublished all pages with any sort of warning. They really are not as bad as certain people would like to suggest. Three links as opposed to two for instance. Time will tell. smile

In the meantime patience and tolerance would seem to be the best policy and if Panda hits anyone's traffic they need to remember it is hitting their own subdomain, not necessarily the whole site. In other words it is their own content which Panda doesn't like much and as such the only person who can fix the problem is the content writer not somebody else. I hope to have all my stuff sorted by the end of this week.

2. NanLT profile image80
    NanLTposted 9 years ago

Not good. I look forward to hearing a response from Paul E or someone else in management.

3. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

I look forward to hearing more precisely what happened

* was it a note on the dashboard?
    * was it an email from the support team?
    * what exactly happened?

Plus have you queried this in writing with the support team re the 4 month grace period?

4. justholidays profile image67
    justholidaysposted 9 years ago

Seems that LisaMarie was clear :

"Obviously my fear is the email that goes with the manual locking threatens you can be banned for future violations."

This to me implies that there was an email - when a Hub is unpublished, there's always a matching email. The mail might be a bit frightening but I don't think they'd ban you for it that quickly.

I've alreay had such an email and unpublishing because of duplicate content - but HP staff is clever and they don't penalize or ban you for things you didn't do deliberately. In my case it was someone that stole my content.

In your case LisaMarie, I hope they will take the 4 month grace into consideration anyway and there is not reason to ban your account smile

5. LisaMarieGabriel profile image86
    LisaMarieGabrielposted 9 years ago

Sorry I was not here to answer people earlier.
    Yes, it was a hub that was transferred and had not previously been edited
    Yes, it was (and is) locked and under review on the dashboard
    Yes, I did receive a warning email from Hubpages even though I am in the four month grace period and had not ended it by editing or unpublishing the page myself.
    No, I have not yet written to admin as I have been busy today clearing my deceased mother's flat.
    Finally I am glad somebody here thinks it is good news - although I do wonder how she/he/it can possibly call it good news without even having seen the page.

It's good news that the 'grace period' for un-reviewed content can be nulled by HP staff and that Hubbers reporting recently imported inferior content will be heard.  And, every Hub which has passed QAP – including any of yours – will benefit when this happens to poor-quality content.

I don't have to see the page to understand that an HP staff member personally viewed your Hub and made the decision. 

(It doesn't mean, however, that you can't make improvements and resubmit your Hub for publication. You can reply to the email you were sent and ask for advice on how make the Hub acceptable.)

1. justholidays profile image67
        justholidaysposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This wasn't part of the 4 month grace therefore I see no point in HP not keeping their promises - it would have been otherwise they'd have paid for non existent content since nobody would have clicked on that green transfer button.

In any case, you seem to suggest that HP staff didn't know what they did when they acquired the right to transfer and display our content. I'm quite surprised that, given the poor faith you have in their judgment, that the site could have been online for so many years. BTW I joined HubPages back in 2007 and as I can see the site is still live...

6. Paul Ward profile image67
    Paul Wardposted 9 years ago

Note: a staff member has stepped in and is investigating an apparent bug. 

Time to stop speculating.

1. Nancy Hardin profile image59
      Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I just read that they are in a "scheduled maintenance period" right now. I think they're checking out some possible problems. Thanks for a cool head, Paul Ward.

7. KathyMcGraw2 profile image70
    KathyMcGraw2posted 9 years ago

Lisa,
    I am very glad to hear that the Administration solved the problem, and it was an error.

I just wish they would do the same with members that find it OK to run around talking BS about us, our lenses/hubs/etc.  That image of Best News of the Day was not appropriate at all, even in a forum that seems to allow all sorts of instigation to continue with little if any repercussions.

8. makingamark profile image69
    makingamarkposted 9 years ago

Maybe a statement from HubPages HQ about what they do with "reports" about the featured lenses/new hubs which are not yet out of their 4 month grace period would be useful?

After all we still have well over three months to go.

I wouldn't want to think of anybody wasting their time unnecessarily - and I really can't understand how any ordinary hubber can possibly tell the difference between a hub which was featured and one which was not.

Closed to reply

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)