negative comments

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (26 posts)
  1. Anne Harrison profile image93
    Anne Harrisonposted 9 years ago

What do people is the best way to respond to negative comments which offer no constructive criticism or feedback?)

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It depends entirely on the comment.

I provide the comments box so that people can have their say - so it would be wrong to delete a comment just because I disagree with it.  However if the person has commented merely to be insulting or rude, or to make a personal attack, then I will delete the comment without hesitation.

Anne Harrisonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, I agree, discussion is one thing but personal degradation another.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image93
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It really depends on who is commenting and what they say.  If it is just plain rude and uncalled for, I delete it. If it is really bad from another hubber, like a personal attack and verbal abuse, I  would report it.  It it is someone who just disagrees with my point of view in the hub, I will approve it and discuss the issue with them.

3. Christy Kirwan profile image89
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Anne,

I see you've received some helpful advice from other Hubbers already. smile In general, it's a good idea to delete malicious or harassing comments. Unless a comment adds significant value to a Hub that you think would benefit your readers, it's best to delete it.

2. pateluday profile image52
    pateludayposted 9 years ago

Check how honest is the comment. Does your hub justify criticism?

Thank you. If the hub justifies the comments, then I feel the criticism is constructive and I appreciate it - and hopefully my writing improves!

3. LeanMan profile image79
    LeanManposted 9 years ago

I have many comments on my hubs about Saudi Arabia that tell me how wrong I am and I publish them all.... No problem!

However the comments that say that I (and other westerners) have sex with our mothers and daughters and dogs I tend to leave out due to the typically graphic language that they tend to use lol..

Well, at least these comments broaden your language base! I appreciate both your honesty and humour, and will try  to approach negative comments in the same way.

4. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

I always thank the person for the comment and express appreciation for their point of view. End of exchange.

5. Cheeky Kid profile image96
    Cheeky Kidposted 9 years ago

I just ignore them (if it's here in the forums). If it's in the hub, then I deny/delete them.

6. Dolores Monet profile image93
    Dolores Monetposted 9 years ago

Some disagreement can make a hub more interesting to readers. But comments that are rude, nonsensical, or very weird can be avoided by setting your comments capsule to only display comments that you approve. I did this after getting some very odd comments, spam, gibberish, and foul language.

7. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I just found harassing comments on a hub and reported the one who did it.

8. profile image0
    LEGOdomenickposted 9 years ago

If it is malicious, I just delete it.  If it is constructive criticism or an honest response, I use it to help me improve my writing and try to grab a larger audience. 
    Unfortunately, the anonymity of the web opens up a lot of critics

9. OldRoses profile image94
    OldRosesposted 9 years ago

I've found the Delete key is a very effective tool to deal with internet trolls.

10. handymanbill profile image75
    handymanbillposted 9 years ago

Delete works best. I will always take accept constructive criticism
    that's how you get better, anything else delete.

11. LindaSmith1 profile image60

I have comments set for my approval.  The ones I got were malicious by the same person, 3 times on same hub.

Can these comments be seen by others if we have not approved or denied them?   I reported the person who left the nasty comments.

12. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Christy: This person attacked people in the forums they started, and then moved on to individual hubs for more attacking.  I reported them to HP as well as a copy of the comments they made on my hub, several hours ago.  Now they are deleted.

13. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I honestly couldn't give them more than a seconds thought.  I delete them.  I even sometimes delete positive ones, particularly the 'great hub' 'vote up' business.

Search traffic.

Not likey-likey.  Waste of time.  In my opinion.

14. NanLT profile image80
    NanLTposted 9 years ago

I delete them from the comment section and go on my merry way in life.

15. LindaSmith1 profile image60

Mark: I was wondering about what to do with the great hub, thanks, voted up.   I was taught if you were going to comment, use a keyword of the article you are reading in it.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
      Mark Ewbieposted 9 years agoin reply to this

On topic pertinent comments, especially those with genuine experience are good.

16. TheGutterMonkey profile image92
    TheGutterMonkeyposted 9 years ago

I love negative comments and delete nothing unless it's spam. They seem to entice people and keep them coming back for more arguing. When I personally respond to them, I tend to keep my cool and attempt to be as rational and non-rude in return as possible (although I'm not below sneaking in a bit of condescension if they're over the top). But, nevertheless, always come off as non-emotional, not at all angry, and as civil as possible.

When other readers go through the comments, I believe it's best that they see the writer of the hub as a level headed person. If they see you lowering yourself to childish insults, indignation, and rage-fueled rants in the comments section, they may take what you've written on your page less seriously. Speak to a rude person as if you were talking to a child you were trying to placate or calm down. Or, hey, just don't respond at all. Maybe another commenter will engage with them instead!

17. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

None of my hubs are controversial, so I'm not likely to get any really negative comments. But I delete anything that I feel isn't useful--'nice hub' and that sort of thing.

Thank you everyone for your comments an suggestions. My apologies for starting a forum then being without internet for a day!
      I have found the range of comments helpful. Constructive criticism should be left for all to read, and to use to improve hubs and further discussion.
      Generic 'good hub' etc add little. I admit to being guilty of these in the past, as I was finding my way around Hubpages, but they do little to promote discussion - one of the main benefits of the Hubpage community.
      Thanks again

18. Beaddoodler profile image67
    Beaddoodlerposted 9 years ago

If it's simply negative I accept it.  If it is of a flamming nature, deroatory, lewd, etc. it gets denied/deleted.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)