"Gay rights group hailed a "seismic shift" by the Catholic Church

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (16 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Rad Manposted 9 years ago

on Monday after bishops said homosexuals had gifts to offer the church and that their partnerships, while morally problematic, provided them "precious" support."

Read the start of the article, however much further down…

"The bishops said gays had "gifts and qualities" to offer and asked rhetorically if the church was ready to provide them a welcoming place, "accepting and valuing their sexual orientation without compromising Catholic doctrine on the family and matrimony."

"The bishops repeated that gay marriage was off the table. But their report acknowledged that gay partnerships had merit.

For heterosexuals, the bishops said the church must grasp the "positive reality of civil weddings" and even cohabitation, with the aim of helping the couple commit eventually to a church wedding."

Translation, we'll invite them in and change them.

1. profile image0
      Emile Rposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't know about changing them. I see it as welcoming them in to get their money, but making it clear they aren't fully accepted.

1. profile image0
        Rad Manposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, they claim they will be more excepting of Catholic couple living together in order to bring the to marriage. It seems to be about motives rather than acceptance.

2. profile image0
      Motown2Chitownposted 9 years agoin reply to this

To be fair, the church never makes change quickly, so just the willingness to be open to relationships and civil unions among homosexuals is a huge, huge thing.

As regards helping to prepare heterosexual couples for church marriage, they are simply not ready to admit that marriage, as it has always been defined and practiced within the church, is NOT the actual preference of God to cohabitation.

Cut them some slack though. This is a centuries old institution that has NEVER spoken this openly or compassionately
      about this issue. IMO, anyway. smile

1. profile image0

I agree, but whenever I read into what they say, it's the same old thing really.

1. profile image0

See, the fact that they are even speaking about it beyond labeling it grave sin and saying gay marriage will never happen is NOT just the same old thing. Give it some time and see how it plays out. smile

1. profile image0

He's been clear. Women should have a bigger role, but will not become priests, Gays are welcome to come in with their cash but we will not marry them. It's big business. Let's take advantage of women and gays, but give them nothing in return.

How many more thousands of years shall we wait for change? I have to say this guy is a smooth politician.

1. profile image0

I think you're a bit more cynical than I am. Time...give it time. How long did it take before it was okay to baptize children born out of wedlock? Every change in the Catholic Church happens at a glacial pace. We want it now! Have some hope, my friend!! big_smile

And to be fair, financial support is NOT a requirement for church membership. I've been a parish member during years where all I put into the collection plate was an empty envelope, and have not been treated differently than anyone else.

1. profile image0

Right, they don't see what you put in, but one of the last times I was at mass was my youngest's confirmation and the priest spent half an hour telling us that it's not enough to give until it hurts, we must give more when it hurts until it starts to feel good, cause they need a new roof. Don't forget they are in the business of making money, tax free money.

1. profile image0

I'm not exactly saying you're wrong. I'm just saying that they often rely on those who have more money to begin with. On that you're correct, sadly.

1. profile image0

When the nun's have to take a vow of poverty, but the priest's don't...

3. jlpark profile image79
      jlparkposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Rad Man, as a gay woman, I think it's a huge step forward for the Catholic Church.

Whilst it's still not equating marriage between the same gender to heterosexual marriage - it's a step in the right direction. I think the new Pope is slowly bringing the Catholic Church forward into the 21st Century. One cannot do these things quickly.

I'm not Catholic, or religious in the slightest, but I can see the benefit to those in the Catholic Church who are themselves gay - finally, their relationships are to be looked on as bringing positives and gifts to offer, rather than shunned and turned away from the faith of their childhood.

I think they recognise that 'change' isn't going to happen, and that trying to is damaging - both psychologically, but also to the person's faith....the last thing they want to do is damage a person's faith and turn them away from God, isn't it?

Meh, I'm happy for the Catholic Church and it's LGBT members.

1. profile image0

I guess it could be seen a step in the right direction. If it helps those who are afraid to be outed that's a good thing. However the gifts they are talking about may just be the cash they bring in. I think 2000 years is long enough to wait.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

I am not seeing it going straight to that place.  The Pope allowed the bishops to express their ideas (which is not the norm).  What they discussed is broadly represented by some questions that were published.  I think that really is all there is to it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)