HP Amazon Program ID still in capsules

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (18 posts)
  1. LindaSmith1 profile image61
    LindaSmith1posted 9 years ago

I changed back over to my Amazon Associates ID.  Some of the capsules, if I click on them have my own ID, while others have the HP program ID. I thought they changed automatically if you changed programs.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Remember you're sharing with HP, so sometimes your code will show, and sometimes HP's

LindaSmith1posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I deactivated the HP program and went back to my own Amazon Assoc program. 19 hubs have capsules with HP ID, the others changed over to my Amazon Assoc ID.

2. LindaSmith1 profile image61

This is a total mess.  Click on some from earnings page, you get HP ID.  Click from profile you get HP ID.  Copy link and put it in google search and products show up under my Associate ID.    One hub works one way correctly, and another way it is wrong.  Removing capsules and redoing them doesn't change a thing.

Every hub is different as to which ID shows up and the method used. 

This is ridiculous.  Some were working okay, now they are messed up again.

I can't keep checking 50 hubs.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
      Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You don't have to check them all, because they should all work the same way.  The only difference is that if you use the HP Amazon program, your commission rates are different (higher) and you get paid by HubPages.  On the Amazon program, your commission rate is usually lower and you get paid by Amazon. The details of the payouts (method of payment, schedule, minimum) are different.

Like Adsense and eBay, Amazon revenue is also shared with HubPages 60% / 40%.  They don't take the total and split it 60 / 40.  The way it works is that 60% of the time, your codes are on the page and 40% of the time, HubPages' codes are on the page. So it is normal for the codes to keep changing from time to time.

Millionaire:  I am not part of the HP Amazon program anymore.

Are you saying even when you use your own Amazon Associate Account, HP still takes part of our sales???

1. CuAllaidh profile image81
          CuAllaidhposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes Linda, HP still gets 40% of the links. So 40% of the time when the page loads it is HP that gets the affiliate code, and 60% of the time it is your affiliate code.

So there is no point in opting out of the HP Amazon program if you qualify for it.

What about those who do  not have Adsense, therefore don't qualify for HP Program.  Do they still see 40 percent go to Hub Pages?

Is this something new since the HP Amazon Program was implemented??

The only reasons I can think of for not joining the program is if you make enough sales to meet Amazon's highest tier, or if you need the HubPages sales  to combine with your Amazon sales from other sites to meet the minimums / tiers, etc.

I'm not sure what happens when you don't have Adsense, but I would think HubPages should get their share regardless.

I don't think the parameters of the HP Amazon program has changed, except maybe they did something to get us even higher tiers.

1. wilderness profile image95
                wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, that came out a while back - that certain categories can earn a higher tier now than was possible before the change.  Strictly an HP thing as I understood it.  Thank the HP team for the help!

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's been the way all advertising - Adsense, eBay and Amazon - have worked since the site began.  How do you think HubPages makes money?

http://hubpages.com/faq/#impressions

2. GA Anderson profile image90
            GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that is correct. It is my understanding that the 60/40 split  only applies to capsule links if you do not participate in the HP Earnings Program.

I am fairly certain that if you opt out of HP's programs and use your own affiliate links in places other than capsules, (like text links), then your link is active for you 100% of the time. But the capsule links will always be split 60/40 regardless of your participation in the HP Earnings program.

GA

3. LindaSmith1 profile image61

So, are you guys saying to just go back to HP Amazon program and maybe use a text link for my Amazon account, and use my own Account for my sites and blogs.

I took a hiatus for about a year and when I started writing again, the HP Amazon program was in effect. Before I took a break, the HP Amazon program was talked about but nothing had been done yet. 

The learning center is not clear on the subject at all, especially if you use your own Amazon Account when it comes to the 60/40 split is going to happen regardless if you are part of the HP program or not.

Mostly yes.  That's what I did.  But it depends on your other sites and blogs.  The only problem is that you will  have lower tiers on these other places, and may have to wait longer to get the minimum payout.  Your Amazon account will also get terminated for inactivity if you don't sell very much outside of the HubPages account.

2. GA Anderson profile image90
      GA Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This topic was heavily discussed, when the Amazon program was first introduced. If I remember correctly the 60/40 split always applies for capsule links, (ebay or Amazon), regardless of HP Earnings participation. But if you are not participating in the HP Earnings program any text links you use with your affiliate code will be yours 100% of the time. Even if it is clicked during one of HP's 40% view.

GA

GA: I stopped writing on Hub Pages for maybe a year or longer.  The last I saw anything about the Hub Pages Amazon Program was that it was still an idea. When I came back, it was in effect and trying to find out what I needed to know has been virtually impossible to do.  The learning center and faq page is not always clear or lacks important information.

4. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Marissa:  That is not specific.  I would think that HP is referring to Adsense ads.  HP does not specify HP Amazon program or the use of your own Amazon affiliate program.

5. LindaSmith1 profile image61

Millionaire: Thanks for all of your help.  I spent most of the night trying to figure out what was going on.  I even sent email to team but no response.

I have gone back to some hubs that I thought was still messed up.  I see what you are talking about now. One I have watched closely because it was on my messed up list, then it appeared to be fixed, then back to being messed up again with ID links.  They switch back and forth.  Now I get it.

Thanks for your patience and help in explaining this.  I had no idea this happened when you used your own Amazon Associates Account.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)