Confession: Compelled to Look at the Car Wreck

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (33 posts)
  1. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

For the last two days or so, I've been compelled to look at the car wreck. I keep slowing down to watch even though I know I need to keep driving and keep my eye on my own traffic. I knew it was a bad wreck, the longer the lines of cars extended, one after another. I actually drove pass several times but kept going back to see if the carnage had gotten any worse. I keep going around the block, saying I'm not going back there, but find myself circling around, compelled to see what happens next.

Some people are actually stopping and getting out of their cars to try and help. But the situation has gotten so out of hand. I don't know why I keep going back. I feel like a voyeur. I guess it's human nature. Or maybe I keep hoping that it will be all cleared and the carnage removed. I'm fascinated by the car wreck as well as my response to it.

I decided to post this as a way to keep myself from going back to peer in at the wreck. I'd also like to know if anyone else is as compelled as I am to keep looking at the car wreck. Thoughts? Peace.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92
      Rochelle Frankposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am, too.
      But I think it is not so much a wreck as an inconvenient collision of of opinions, perspectives and ideas.
      I think it will eventually make us realize that we are all in this together, and we will make better connections with those who we initially thought were adversaries.

1. Nancy Hardin profile image60
        Nancy Hardinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Rochelle Frank, I totally agree with you. There is "safety" in numbers, they say. So the more we have, the better I believe. I think recovery is on its way and the injuries will heal quickly.

2. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I wrote an article recently and posted a photo about a car wreck at the neighbor's, on another site. The driver died at the scene, and the female passenger is paralyzed.  Beer cans were scattered all over the sight.  Very sad that a witness judged the car traveling at about 90 mph on a country road with a very sharp curve.

1. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That actually sounds a bit like the wreck Jan is talking about.

3. bethperry profile image83
      bethperryposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It is sometimes hard to notice the wrecks with all the "Dip Ahead" posts going up around the highway. So I try to just overlook the igits pulled over with their flat tires -the folks caught up in bitching sessions with fellow drives- and instead search for smoother exits.

jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great strategy, bethperry. Don't get distracted, keep going, take the next exit ramp.

4. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Great post!

2. SmartAndFun profile image93
    SmartAndFunposted 9 years ago

I managed to avoid getting involved in that wreck until tonight. Why did I hold out that long only to give in at the end? At least I hope it is the end.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 9 years ago

Is it the car wreck that caused a 400+ car pile-up, or the one that keeps re-igniting into a ball of flames just when you think it's fizzled out?

The 400+ car pile up. I won't go pass there again.

2. Rochelle Frank profile image92

C-G, you provided  some of the most reasonable moments. I rarely get involved in forum discussions, but this one caught me in the midst of the wreckage.

I hope you didn't sustain any serious injuries, Rochelle. It's not worth it.

1. Rochelle Frank profile image92

I'm good. I have insurance.

3. SmartAndFun profile image93
      SmartAndFunposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yup. That's the one. I keep thinking it is close to being over, but alas. Maybe the mods will shut it down in the morning.

4. lisavollrath profile image94
    lisavollrathposted 9 years ago

I drove by, did a little rubber-necking, left a few notes, and sped away. I did not see any sign of the much needed clue bus.

5. Sherry Hewins profile image92
    Sherry Hewinsposted 9 years ago

I am over it. Some people made good points, but I have seen enough.

6. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Thank you all for participating in my midnight metaphoric release. Have a blessed day, peace.

7. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 9 years ago

I'm not sure of the car wreck you're referring to, but nonetheless, it sounds like a great metaphor!  Car wrecks are too distracting, just keep driving and stay focused on arriving at the destination.   smile

8. Mark Ewbie profile image82
    Mark Ewbieposted 9 years ago

I slowed down to look at the cats but when some woman went by pointing and shouting "THIIIIS!" - I got out of there.

1. Solaras profile image96
      Solarasposted 9 years agoin reply to this

+++LOL. Your the funniest man I have never known.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

OHH, the flames..  Yeah, I have no time nor interest!

9. Michael Kismet profile image90
    Michael Kismetposted 9 years ago

I actually hate to admit this, but I like the opinionated chaos that ensues..It's a grand opportunity to see how certain people really conduct themselves when they have an agenda, or a point they're trying to get across.  The words in which we choose to express ourselves--speaks volumes, and as writers, we of all people should know, we are all held accountable for our words.

10. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

ahhh! rubber-neckers, are ye? Usually when there is a pile up like that it greatly helps when a person with an objective viewpoint stops and tries to help find a solution to untangle the mess. It is sad, because the original driver on the freeway did not mean for it to turn into chaos.

So true, Phyllis. I feel so bad for him because he's a good driver. He tried so hard to keep the steering wheel steady but the pile up just kept coming. Not his fault.

11. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years ago

I think a driver should be be given the option of turning off the engine when it gets overheated.  I pulled out and parked on the curb went back to check then left again. Hopefully it is cleared up by now.

Good point. But at some point, won't the driver need the dealership's mechanic to intervene so it won't continue to overheat? I hope it clears up soon, as well. Too many fumes, so unhealthy.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
        Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, fumes are unhealthy. That is why I parked then left. I think there are times when the traffic cops need to step in and clear up the wreck, route others around it. LOL

Hmm, yes, you're right. The traffic cops. I wonder if any passers-by called 911 or at least made a report. I'm glad you got out in time. Are you still feeling compelled to return to the scene? I'm not anymore.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
            Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

No, not compelled to return to the scene. It started out okay and we were inching along then along comes a jam and that caused some tense "road rage" - I am not into road rage.

Phew! That'll do it. A traffic jam that makes everybody start blaming and yelling at each other. I'm not into it either. It can get pretty dangerous in the middle of a highway.

12. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 9 years ago

I struggle to take the car wrecks seriously, does that make me a bad person?  smile

Not at all. It's a good sign that you realize life does ultimately go on, in spite of all the chaos you may encounter along the way. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)