Just Out of Curiosity …

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (58 posts)
  1. Jacqueline4390 profile image81
    Jacqueline4390posted 9 years ago

Just out of curiosity—why is it that some people think that it is okay to insult another person when answering a question. I asked the question if violence is ever justifiable and one man called me everything but a moron. He said I was naïve and unlearned. I immediately closed the topic and deleted it. I am so upset that I am considering leaving HubPages. I will never ever submit another question again!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry this happened to you, but don't blame the whole site because one person was ignorant and rude.  Unfortunately, some people are just mean, but the majority of people here are wonderful.  When people do things like that, you should report them to the team because that type of behavior is unacceptable here and that person can be banned for it.  Sorry you closed the topic because now you can't report him or her and they will do it again to somebody else.

Jacqueline4390posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for your comment but it was just so hurtful that I couldn't even bare to look at it!

2. profile image61
      DJ Andersonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jacqueline,  I am so sorry that you have had to deal with such a negative person here on HP.  Most of us are kind, fun loving and not argumentative.
      Can you simply 'deny' a comment like in a hub comment?
      I would find that 'deny button' and just go right on with your question and gathering answers.  Sadly, there are a few people who are not as nice as others.  Avoidance can be your sword against negativity.
      Wait a day or two and renew your strength and conviction.
      You will be fine.
      Blessings to you, my dear,
      DJ.

Thanks ... I really appreciate that. When I was younger ... things didn't bother me as much as they do now. I was having such a nice time interacting with people. Its nice especially on cold nights :-)

3. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

They've called me everything but Deborah at times.
      Don't let them make you leave..anyone calling you names is what they call you.
      Report the person for personal attack, you don't have to put up with that

Thanks Deborah for your comments. I appreciate them very much. I guess I just can't get used to people who have no consideration for others whether in person or online. I understand that people have a right to their own opinion but I feel that when that right violates the feels of another person then there is a problem. I felt it was just easier to delete the question than go through the channels.

2. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would *never call you that!

1. profile image0

smile Please don't ever call me that
          oh wait, that's my name..

2. profile image0

Why did your parents name you Sed-me ?

1. Sed-me profile image79

They didn't. They named me Beth and I said, "You're not calling me Beth!" And they said, "Says you!" And I said, "SED ME!" And then we went to the circus.

4. Sed-me profile image79

Holy cow, don't let him ruin something you enjoy! You have made yourself heard now, and no one can take that from you. You were treated unkindly, but brush his comments off your shoulder like dandruff and live to share another comment! smile

It's really nice to know that there are still some wonderful people out there. Thanks to all of you who have made my day! It does make a difference!

When you work with the public, you are shocked to find how many *nasty ppl are out there. And then one kind person comes by and says something sweet and you're like, "I forgot you still existed." It's a wonderful thing to do... to be a little, tiny light in someones day. Don't let a meanie steal your joy or the positive outlook you might be able to offer someone else.

You really are right, there. I worked in CS when I worked for the IRS and there were plenty of nasty's that thought I was the enemy. Once in a while someone really appreciated my efforts. Now that I work for myself; I am really learning how wonderful the right people can be. Keep up the good work!

Ay yi yi! CS for the IRS!? lol
              That's like saying you were Jeffrey Dahmer's personal chef.
              I can't imagine what you had to put up with. No wonder you've had enough.
              I got your back! If anybody's mean to you, just tell me and I'll get myself banned on your behalf.
              You need some kind of crown for having survived that... we have several forum queens this year. Maybe they'll share their crown with you. smile

Love You!!! Yes, for years I put up with all kinds of insults. I ended up in the emergency room one week after Easter because of stress and too many BC powders for headaches! I am still recovering two years later! Took an early retirement.

Aw, Im truly sorry, and I understand. Ppl just don't understand what their flippant outbursts and momentary hateful words do to ppl who are told to smile and nod. I wish you a full and quick recovery!

Thanks ... I still bulk at the harsh words of others. I try so hard to see everyone's point of view (Natural Affliction) until I've become mush! Guess I need to visit "Mr. Potter" from "It's A Wonderful Life" to learn some tough-guy lessons!

2. Kiss andTales profile image60
    Kiss andTalesposted 9 years ago

Did you violate hub-pages rules by asking? There is a post a reply and a what is on your mind. Your right to ask is welcome . His right to reply was also welcome . But it can be hub-pages right to exercise their Authority if a person goes to far.
    Really you must have hit a nerve, you did nothing wrong even though you got bad feed back. Here we can wear our feelings on our shoulders because there are always people ready to knock them off.
    Speak the truth, share your experience , and you just might help more people then that one who was offensive.

No, I didn't violate anything. I try to be a very polite person whether I agree or not but sometimes someone can say something so unexpectedly rude that it hurts. Normally, I try not to get upset but whenever I am called naïve and stupid it doesn't actually goes down well.

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
        Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes many have their stories just like you and we have moved on and notice the regulars . You also have a right to just ignore the insults, your purpose and posting can be good for many !  So do not stop.

2. profile image0

What are you saying anyway?
      We wear our feelings on our shoulders ? I've never heard that one.
      I've heard we wear our emotions on our sleeves.
      I've never heard of knocking feelings off ? our shoulder ?, but I've heard the term chip

I don't think the other person was welcome to say what they said

3. jennshealthstore profile image79
    jennshealthstoreposted 9 years ago

You should not let something someone else said stop you from asking a question. For some reason, people feel the need to fight and argue or be disrespectful. If you take your question down because of that they are winning. Just ignore those people and continue to write and ask questions. I would. Good luck! : )

I know you are right but I am just not going to accept being insulted. I did nothing wrong. My question stated that there are other ways to resolve disagreements other than with violence. I was given a lesson on World War II and well ... I just don't need this.

4. Arachnea profile image67
    Arachneaposted 9 years ago

It's too bad you deleted the "evidence." You do have the right to report any behavior on HP that violates the standards upheld by the rules. This, as I'm told, will get the attention of a moderator, who will then address the issue as is appropriate.

5. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 9 years ago

An idiot like that deserves just one answer................................

http://s1.hubimg.com/u/12012292.jpg

You made me smile. I wish I could be as tough as some of you guys! I used to be but I wanted my older years to be lighthearted and well friendly. Gee, its the holiday season!

6. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

Thank you Mr. Gonzalez, there are always going to be haters and negaters.  Don't let these unevolved souls stop one from expressing his/her light.   IGNORE and EXPRESS YOURSELF REGARDLESS!

You guys are just wonderful! It has been a long time since I've had to put on boxing gloves! It just looks like there should be somewhere that you can write nice stimulating comments ... have an enjoyable time conversing with people around the country ... without a battle royal. Isn't there enough violence without bring it here?

I think I need a hot cocoa.

7. colorfulone profile image77
    colorfuloneposted 9 years ago

It is an open ended question to ask "if violence is ever justifiable". 

I take it you do not believe violence is ever justifiable? 

Anyway, that would be a good question to ask if someone likes getting into a debate. 

People can debate tough topics, but they should learn how to do it respectfully.

I do not like debates personally.

Yep ... I thought it would make a really good topic for discussion. I didn't know I was going to get a lecture on Hitler and the Japanese bombing Pearl Harbor. I just wanted to know if violence was ever justifiable. I said that it would seem that rational people should be able to settle disputes without killing and destroying. But asking something in the Q & A for me was like giving a two year old an automatic rifle!

1. Kiss andTales profile image60
        Kiss andTalesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I am sorry I missed your question . Because most know I will answer most questions but I do totally rely that the answers are in God's word the bible.
        Now that I have an opportunity I will reply my answer here.
        New World Translation Ps 11:5 Jehovah examines the righteous one as well as the wicked one; He hates anyone who loves violence.
        So we do not want to be hated by the one who grants us life everyday. Or who can return life in the near future.
        New World Translation Mt 5:9 “Happy are the peacemakers, since they will be called sons of God.
        We will always keep living as the children of God.

Yes ... very good because I quoted that exact same scripture along with "Vengeance is mine said the Lord." Then I just became really upset and deleted the question. During Old Testament time there was a lot of violence but when the New Testament came into being it was grace and mercy.

8. Jodah profile image92
    Jodahposted 9 years ago

..and I was just about to start a thread saying that the forums and questions had been much more civil lately.  Looks like I have to take that back, maybe I've just been subconsciously careful of the ones I have joined. sorry to hear about that bad experience Jacqueline.

Thanks, not only did it affect my disposition but I went down from 95 to 91 in score after deleting the question. Not only do I not understand how rude people can be but this scoring is crazy as well. Am I just suppose to "suck it up?"

1. mary615 profile image81
        mary615posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I can't believe your score would go down because you deleted your question!  I don't blame you for being hurt about this, I would have been hurt, too.  Couldn't you just delete his answer??

I think my hormones were at an all time high. I know that is exactly what I should have done but I didn't want to "open the door" to more verbal abuse :-)

2. profile image0

Your score is affected when you post on forums, so naturally if you delete a thread, it could lower your score
          We can't delete another person's comment

9. profile image0
    ShirleyJCJohnsonposted 9 years ago

I'm hoping I'm not too late to join this conversation.  People have it within themselves to love or to hate.  It's a God given free will choice.  Is one choice better than the other.  That should be obvious.  But, because of our free will, and because some people feel they get more out of it than if they chose some other attitude, hate will always dominate in a sinful world.  It doesn't make it right, and it certainly doesn't make it easy.  Even in my home, there is a constant struggle between these two emotions and feelings.  I have four children (ages 7, 11, 13 and 16) and it's a real battle someday to teach them how to show love to each other.  But, learn they must, otherwise, they end up like the man who spouted nothing but hatred to you.  What is it within him that makes him feel like hatred or hateful words would be an appropriate response?  Was he abused as a child?  Did he grow up with siblings who despised him?  Was there someone in the workforce when he first started the workforce who show contempt for him?  What is under the surface of the deepest part of his being that would give him the power to share hatred?  We may never know.  And the heart is not our to judge; but, to love.  When we gather as one and love a person, we are breaking strongholds and pulling people out of pits.  I'm sorry that something like this happens to good people, I'm even more sorry that it happened to someone of your obvious integrity and character.  I don't think I'm overstepping a bound when I say I think you are a noteworthy person who deserves all the love that a community can give to her.  I certainly send my own love your way.  And I hope I have made another friend today.

Thanks, Shirley ... your response is right on time. It's so true and its so unfortunate that there are such people in the world. I guess its true that misery loves company but so does joy :-)

10. PurvisBobbi44 profile image90
    PurvisBobbi44posted 9 years ago

Hi Dear,
    Just Rise Above It---that is what I do and tell everyone else to do. Remember, the school yard saying,"Sticks and Stones can break my bones, but words can never hurt me." If anyone wants to act like a child send them this little message. Don't let stupid people control what you do. Have a happy Thanksgiving and come back writing---we do not want you to leave. Bobbi Purvis

Thanks, Bobbi I really appreciate you and some of the other wonderful people here. It sure would be great if there were more caring people like that. I'm trying to do just what you say and write. You guys ROCK!

11. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Sorry to hear that, Jacqueline. It happens every now and then in the forums. I've felt it, too, but tried to rise above it by responding nicely or ignoring it altogether. I admit it can be hurtful especially when you were misinterpreted or scolded for the most minor thing. I hope your hurt heals soon and you stay at HP. You're an excellent writer and good spirit. Don't internalize someone else's negativity. Peace and blessings to you.

Thanks Jan ... you always know what to say to brighten a day! I will really take that into consideration! You have a very Happy Thanksgiving!

12. gmwilliams profile image84
    gmwilliamsposted 9 years ago

@janshares, totally agree.  I, too, felt the negativity.  So BE it!  I am going to say what I am going to say. Like it, fine; don't like it, so what!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)