SOURCING IMAGES

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Ghaaz B profile image66
    Ghaaz Bposted 9 years ago

While I was creating a hub, I read that all source links for images will count towards determining if a hub is overly promotional. Are they checked and confirmed by staff, or just automatically detrimental to hubscores? I mean, a hub without photos is my kind of hub, but I know that the entire rest of the world likes picture books rather than information. So I use a lot of photos, and I always attribute them properly and source to their destination. It's -never- promotional at all.

Could this be the reason that my hub first hub was published with a 93 Hubscore then slowly dropped to 78, despite lots of traffic and comments?

Very frustrating stuff. If hubpages isn't going to recognize the quality of my content I'll take it elsewhere.

1. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hubs without pictures will never be featured, and they have to be the right size, so I am sure they do affect your score
      Sorry, but I don't think Hubpages will lose any sleep if you go elsewhere

Ghaaz Bposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This doesn't really address my question.

And it's not my leaving that should concern Hubpages, it's the question of why might I leave? Furthermore, if Hubpages took the same approach to user retention as you seem to, there wouldn't be very many people here at all.

Thanks for trying to help though, I appreciate your effort!

1. profile image0

Me? It doesn't concern me at all. I just saw it as a ploy  to get someone's attention (I've watched them come and go many times in the last five years) I wasn't putting you down
          Saying "Hubs without pictures will never be featured"  tells you the source links are okay because images are required

Since they require pictures, and sources of the pictures, it can't be overly promotional

Links to other hubs, (yours or other's),  is not considered promotional. Links where you have some kind of financial interest/gain, besides on Hubpages is promotional. Say you linked to Amazon products three times in one hub, or to your website where you sell products, that's promotional

Saying Hubpages won't lose any sleep is simply true, there are so many authors here, that one person leaving because he didn't understand something, I'm sure wouldn't get a reaction from them. How can they fix something that's not broken ?

Well now that I understand better, I'm more inclined to stay. That's the point of asking questions in forums when something is unclear to you, but you're certain others will be able to explain.

As for the 'ploy for attention', well that was just a way I sought to get an answer quicker. I'm not afraid to be chastised for being a little rude wink

Thanks for the additional information, you've now answered my questions pretty well.

1. profile image0

Good, I like it when I can help
              You know what they say about the "squeaky wheel" smile
              In the past we were encouraged to link to as many hubs as we could, because it made it easier for the reader to find their way around.
              Keep doing what you're doing. And I do hope you stay

Great. That's what I thought.

I actually did have an account about 4 years ago, but I was too young to write properly (by my own judgement) so I just creeped and didn't publish anything.

Now I have 3 accounts going, but I'm still learning how to toe the line!

2. C.V.Rajan profile image60
      C.V.Rajanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

When you know that the entire world loves picture books, what's the problem in meeting the audiences' need? After all, you love to write, you love your articles being read by many. If a few pictures added to it is going to retain and boost the interest of readers to read it, why shy away from it?

Yes. It is extra work and time, no doubt. But I feel it is worth it. I know there were competitive sites that had no scope of adding pictures and they have gone into oblivion in the past whereas Hubpages is still alive and kicking.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Overly promotional just means that you have more than two links pointing to the same website.   Flickr and Wikimedia are exempt from that limit.   If you're taking a lot of photos from some other photo site, you may trigger the overly promotional rule, but you can get around that by placing your photo credits at the end of the Hub and grouping them together.  Or choosing different photos.

4. Christy Kirwan profile image92
      Christy Kirwanposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi Ghaaz,

Welcome to HubPages! I see that several other Hubbers have answered your questions about the overly-promotional rules (and their exceptions). I took a look at your first Hub and it's quite good.

I'd just like to add that Public Domain photos and your own photos do not need to have a source listed, though it's still a good idea to do so because it lets your readers know that the photos aren't stolen. Any other photos should be cited like this: Photographer's Name or Pen Name (if available) via Source (Flickr, Wikimedia Commons, etc), License (CC BY-SA 3.0, etc).

Including a link to where that photo can be found is optional but still a good idea. We've also recently made image source links nofollow, so they shouldn't hurt your rank with Google. Hope that helps!

5. profile image0

Read this thread about links and scores
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/127000

6. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

You can use photos from Pixabay.com and Morguefile.com without even showing any links because neither site  requires accreditation.  Also, they have some great photos which you can easily edit on picmonkey.com.  All are free services and will save you many headaches.  Good luck.

1. profile image0

Thank you, that's good to know.
        I knew only about WikiMedia Commons, and one I
        can't remember the name of

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

"Overly promotional" just means more than two links from your hub to the same site.

And links to sources of images count towards that number

And hubs with no pictures can be featured

1. profile image0

Hubs without images, either photos or videos, and even those with images not in the correct size, are not featured

1. Jayne Lancer profile image92
        Jayne Lancerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This hub is featured: http://wshillington.hubpages.com/hub/Ho … ack-System

I found it under 'All Topics Featured Hubs': http://hubpages.com/topics/all/1

1. profile image0

Not longer then 3 months ago, I asked Hubpages via email, why my hub
          wasn't featured, They told me because there was no images. I put two in and it was featured within 10 minutes

Just my reasoning, but I think the example you gave ..
          1. must be a fluke, or
          2. the picture was removed after it was featured
          3. Someone ( maybe a new staff person) let it slip by accidently

You'll find many featured hubs that don't include images.

Here's another by Robin Edmondson of HubPages' staff: http://hubpages.com/hub/The-Best-Gifts-Nursing-Mothers

3. Millionaire Tips profile image90
    Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years ago

Welcome to HubPages. Links to well-known places, like Flickr and Wikimedia, are not considered promotional, so you can feel free to use them, even if you have more than two.   If you are linking to your own website (or less common websites) though, they will be considered in the count.

Oh great! I use mostly Flickr, perhaps I will begin using only Flickr to avoid unintentionally bad links.

Thanks!

1. Millionaire Tips profile image90
        Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That sounds like a plan.  You will want to make sure that the images are licensed to use, and not copyright images.  Be sure to read the Learning Center Article for proper image use. It helps show you where to find images, and also how to accredit them properly.  Might as well start off on the right foot!

http://hubpages.com/learningcenter/legal-image-use

Great! The learning centre is is actually where I first discovered Flickr!

Since I've got you here, I hope you don't mind if I ask another question instead of creating a whole new thread, it's related.

Do links to other hubs count as overly promotional? It seems like a good tactic that Hubpages would approve of, at least if the hubs are completely related and only one or two links are used. Then again, I can see how it could easily be considered promotional.

1. Shades-of-truth profile image83
            Shades-of-truthposted 9 years agoin reply to this

See what Deborah Sexton said in her reply to you up higher on this page:

"Links to other hubs, (yours or other's),  is not considered promotional."

She did answer that, already. Sometimes the "links" thing can be a bit daunting, and confusing, but it is all right to link to other hubs, or your own.

I know this is redundant, but thought you might have missed that part of her comment.

2. Millionaire Tips profile image90
            Millionaire Tipsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, you can freely link to other hubs without worrying about the two link limit, but the links should be relevant to the content.  No for "here are the other hubs I've written", but yes to "here are other hubs I've (and others) written about this topic"

1. profile image0

A links capsule titled "Other Hubs I Have Written" has always been allowed, doesn't have to be relevant, and nothing has changed that I know of. I'm here every day.
              If they've changed that, please point me to it., maybe I was away at the time

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

Yes it has changed.  ALL links in a Hub must now be completely relevant to the topic of the Hub, otherwise the Hub may be unpublished. 

And yes you are right, it was a rule change.

1. profile image0

I have one up and running with links to my other hubs  I edited it today and added a video, it is still published and featured

1. Marisa Wright profile image86

All that means is that a moderator hasn't noticed it.  Now you've mentioned it, you may find things change.

On the other hand, perhaps your other Hubs are on related topics - in which case it's fine.

4. word55 profile image71
    word55posted 9 years ago

Pictures sort of add beauty or a certain touch that helps your hub to be more appealing, I think.

5. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

I know for a fact, they can't be in the spotlight without images, nor chosen for any special recognition

6. profile image0
    Deborah Sextonposted 9 years ago

Hubpages sees Hubs with images as high quality

The quality and informational value of a Hub will also determine how well it ranks in search engine results. Per Hubpages "Generally speaking, we recommend composing Hubs that...

Are at least 1150 words long
        Contain at least three related, high-resolution, properly used and attributed images
        Contain a custom summary (which can be entered in the HubTool under the title)
        Is formatted in an attractive manner
        Is easy to skip around (online readers who arrive at Hubs from search engines tend to have short attention spans)"

As far as I can tell, there's nothing anywhere that states that a hub will be unfeatured if it lacks images. All I see are recommendations, which are not rules.

1. profile image0

OKAY !!! you win, whatever you say,  it's got to be true
        This is my last post in this thread

7. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 9 years ago

It is true because you can see hundreds of featured hubs up to yesterday with no picture.

You are thinking of the rule for having a hub appear in your profile, a picture is needed for that.

1. profile image0

No, I am not thinking of the images needed to spotlight hubs (these CAN appear on your profile, but NOT in spotlight.
      I am thinking about what I was told, when I specifically asked.
      I am also thinking about what I wrote in this thread
      http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/126998

2. profile image0

Do you know how many people are on Hubpages ?

If a hub is published and featured, and the hubber goes
      back in later and adds or removes something, that hub isn't reviewed again,...
      therefore the hub remains featured

I had to remove a video from one of my hubs today because it stopped working.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)