Common Misunderstanding of the Pagan Spiritual Path

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (38 posts)
  1. Heaven_Leigh70 profile image59
    Heaven_Leigh70posted 13 years ago

Many people misunderstand the meaning of the Pentacle. For most (although as with all paths there are exceptions), the pentacle represents the elements. It is not "satanic". Most Pagans do not even believe in Satan. They believe that what you put out (good or bad) returns to you times three. Many Pagans are environmentalists and conservationists. Many Pagan paths are older than Christianity. They are agriculturally based and honor both God and Goddess. Pagans for the most part do not believe in forcing their beliefs down anyones throats. Nor do they desire others to force their belief's on them. So, before you judge, please do some research. You just may learn something. Blessed Be!! )O(

1. profile image48
      paarsurreyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi friend Heaven_Leigh70

What is the source of Pagan's belief? Please

Thanks

I am an Ahmadi peaceful Muslim

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
        AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The sources of pagan beliefs and practices vary widely, depending on which specific kind of pagan religion - and there are many - is being considered.

For example, Nordic traditions such as Asatru or Odinism draw heavily on Nordic history, folklore and culture. 

Another example might be Wicca, which is one form of contemporary witchcraft - and there are several kinds of Wicca, also.  Sources of Wiccan ideas derive largely from Gerald Gardiner, Doreen Valiente and Philip Ross Nichols (who popularised the religion in the 1970s), but also from British folklore.

Yet another example might be Druidry, which is not so much a specific religion but a philosophy which can be expressed through any religion - in a similar way to Sufism being expressed through your Moslem religion.

It's easy enough to run a Google search on these topics, if a person is genuinely interested.

1. profile image48

Hi friend AdeleCosgroveBray and Heaven_Leigh70

What is your own denomination of the pagans?

That would help us understand your viewpoint clearly. A separate thread for every denomination would be fine to understand it .

Thanks

1. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
            AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I've been a member of the Order of Bards, Ovates and Druids for over a decade now.  My profile here on Hubpages and on my website clearly state this.

I'll start a thread for the discussion of Druidry if you'll start one on your Ahmadi Muslim ideas.  Deal?  smile

1. profile image48

Hi friend AdeleCosgroveBray

As asked by you I have started a new thread :
              http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/43097

You are welcome

Thanks

2. profile image49
        m m usmanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

HELLLOOO PAARSURREY  U DONE GREAT JOB KEEP IT UP...

2. leeberttea profile image57
      leebertteaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's true! Many Christian holidays were developed around Pagan holidays so that the people would accept them. Like Easter and Ostara which basically celebrates spring, longer daylight hours, greater warmth, and the growing season.

1. profile image48

Hi friend leeberttea

Jesus did not do it; it is the clever Paul and the errant Church who did it.

Thanks

2. profile image52
        N Nasimiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

The very reason behind this was in fact a peaceful reason. Constantine the Byzantine Emperor conformed many pagan holidays to assimilate with Christianity to keep peace within his land. The small group of early Christians and massive group of Pagans would went into a violent and bloody civil war due to being different! Constantine- the political genius- prevented that by enabling acceptance within his empire's population!!
        FYI: I am a Sunni Muslim...

1. Writer Fox profile image31
          Writer Foxposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Do you realize that you just responded to a three-year-old forum thread?  How ever did you find this old thread?

1. profile image52
            N Nasimiposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's interesting how you found my comment and responded to it.... Would you like me to ask you "do you realize you found my comment to read and your response is about when I posted it???..." :-)
            I am new to HubPages and was just browsing. I came across a post that piqued my interest. Is there something the matter...??

3. Apostle Jack profile image61
      Apostle Jackposted 12 years agoin reply to this

To my knowledge anyone that is not a Christian,is a Pagan and a gentle.

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That would be a gentle gentile I presume?

1. Apostle Jack profile image61

As much as is needed,the rest will work it self out.

I will have to suppose you know what that means.

Life is a process,everything is measured.Every word and action that we speak and take in this world,we shall give account for.

Who do we all give account to..... you? smile

To Righteousness and PREDESTINATION.

I see, That clears it up then. lol

2. Wayne Orvisburg profile image63
    Wayne Orvisburgposted 13 years ago

Isnt there something to do with a Wicker Man? Just kidding!

1. JulesGerome profile image61
      JulesGeromeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The poor Wicker Man ! All Religions have their own 'lets not talk about' issues. LOL

3. AdeleCosgroveBray profile image88
    AdeleCosgroveBrayposted 13 years ago

First, I'd like to point out that despite what the title of this thread implies - probably unintentionally - there is not one pagan path (or religion) but many.

Satan was/is a Christian concept and therefore has nothing no connection with contemporary pagan religions.  I would have thought that by now this was commonly understood, but then some people's determination to cling to inaccuracies beggars belief.  smile

However, while the pentacle is a popular pagan symbol (with one point at the top), it is also employed by Satanists (with two points at the top.)  Each have their own reasons for using this symbol, and they use it in different ways.  If anyone is genuinely interested, just do a bit of research from valid sources.

As for the Wicker Man, this was first mentioned by Julius Caesar is his account of British Druids, information which he gleaned second- and third-hand at best, as he didn't come here to Britain himself.  How accurate his descriptions are is open to debate.  Some of his claims have been shown to be farcical, others fairly spot on.  So who knows, hmm?

1. JulesGerome profile image61
      JulesGeromeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You're right. Most are myths. Anyway, I though the Wicker Man was a true pagan sacrifice. Thanks for the info !

2. deblipp profile image60
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Right. "Pagan" isn't a religion, but a descriptive term that applies to *many* religions.

1. bethperry profile image83
        bethperryposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True deblipp, and the same can be said when one calls themselves a "Christian", for it is a descriptive term for many, many denominations and sects - and sadly, these denominations and sects often refuse to acknowledge the legitimacy of the others.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

There is an overall misconception on the "human" spiritual path, never mind, a specific form of religion. hmm

5. iantoPF profile image79
    iantoPFposted 13 years ago

The records left by the Roman historians are a bit skewed. For one thing the Romans had propaganda benefits in painting the Celts in a bad light but also, they were translating from a language they barely understood. For instance; if someone, who had a very poor understanding of English idiom and no knowledge of christian culture were to be told that "My mother gave her heart to Jesus" they may accuse christians of ripping out peoples hearts. It's all in the interpretation. We are not sure if the WickerMan was a sacrifice or a form of capital punishment. The Druids were the priests, judges and lawgivers of North West Europe we do not know whether they sacrificed or meted out justice.
    I wrote a Hub about the Pentacle it's called "The Druid's Apple" (I've never been very good about keywords smile )

6. goldenpath profile image68
    goldenpathposted 13 years ago

Welcome to HubPages!  Well, from a Mormon to you I bid you welcome and good tidings in your path of faith.  Your words are truly interesting and it's good to see someone who is stalwart in their beliefs and yet willing and able to stand up for them.  A few hubs and I'll look forward to being a follower of your work.

7. deosfluviatilis profile image72
    deosfluviatilisposted 13 years ago

When you give a mouse a cookie...

1. profile image48

Hi friend deosfluviatilis

Where is the mouse and where is the cookie...?

Thanks

8. profile image50
    OzzieKezposted 13 years ago

My understanding of the Pentacle is that it encompasses all that is sacred.

9. profile image56
    Runicposted 13 years ago

It seems that even among other pagans, the pentacle is misunderstood. While it is true that Satanists (and Christian/Catholics trying to assert power, but I won't go there), have given the inverted, or upside-down pentacle a bad name and meaning, there is nothing foul about it.

A pentacle consists of five points forming a star, one for each of the four traditional elements of Fire, Earth, Water, and Air, and a one to represent human Spirit all encompassed within a circle to denote control. All the position of the star within the pentacle means is which way the energy you put forth is going. A right side up pentacle(one point up) is symbolic for pulling energy from matter, for instance: a charged stone, a candle, the earth itself. An inverted pentacle(one point down) is used when transferring energy into something such as a tool, or a gem.

I hope I have helped some understand this symbol better.

Yours in Spirit,

Runic

10. leeberttea profile image57
    leebertteaposted 13 years ago

My favorite ritual!

My vulva, the horn,
    The boat of Heaven,
    Is full of eagerness like the young moon.
    My untilled land lies fallow.
    As for me, Inanna,
    Who will plow my vulva?
    Who will plow my high field?
    Who will plow my wet ground?
    As for me, the young woman,
    Who will plow my vulva?
    Who will station the ox there?
    Who will plow my vulva?

Great Lady, the king will plow your vulva,
    I, Dumuzi the King, will plow your vulva Inanna accepts him saying:
    Then plow my vulva, man of my heart
    Plow my vulva.
    Then follows more details of the happenings

My eager impetuous caresser of the navel,
    My caresser of the soft thighs;
    He is the one my womb loves best,
    My high priest is ready for the holy loins.
    My lord Dumuzi is ready for the holy loins.
    The plants and herbs in his field are ripe.
    O Dumuzi, Your fullness is my delight.
    The high priestess then directs things to be readied
    Inanna called for the bed.
    Let the bed that rejoices the heart be prepared
    Let the bed that sweetens the loins be prepared
    Let the bed of kingship be prepared!
    Let the bed of queenship be prepared!
    Let the royal bed be prepared!
    This bed was set up in front of the entire congregation. The people watched the entire ritual including the sexual part.

He shaped my loins with his fair hands,
    The shepherd Dumuzi filled my lap with cream and milk.
    He stroked my pubic hair.
    He watered my womb.
    He laid his hands on my holy vulva,
    He smoothed my black boat with cream,
    He quickened my narrow boat with milk.
    He caressed me on the bed.
    The King went with lifted head to the holy loins.
    He went with lifted head to the loins of Inanna
    He went to the queen with lifted head.
    He opened wide his arms to the holy priestess of heaven.
    We rejoiced together.
    He took his pleasure of me.
    He laid me down on the fragrant honey-bed
    My sweet love, lying by my heart,
    Tongue-playing, one by one,
    My fair Dumuzi did so fifty times.
    Now, my sweet love is sated.

11. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

THe Penticle:

Top point symbolizes Spirit.

The four lower points symbolize the four Elements of Life: Earth, Air, Fire, Water.

The circle being without beginning or end represents the deity (It is completely encompassing the star whithin it) and the never ending circle of birth, death, and rebirth.

The star represents the outstretched human body, reaching out in search of it's connection with Spirit.

Together they represent the creator's protection and wisdom

enough said

12. dutchman1951 profile image60
    dutchman1951posted 12 years ago

It is mis understood for real.

The fact that a person lived as pagan in Ireland (Celt) ot Norway (Norse) or Italy (Strega) does not mean it is a spiritual path..? Think

Pagan back then was a way of life, earth , eliments, farming, superstition to storms, occurances etc...a civilization developing in various parts of the world, with similar Human Traits. People evolving.

The fact that a Modern eclectic mind is atracted to Those Historic people and copies the life style or at least tries to, and most times makes up what they do not know, or have hands on knowledge of,  for facts; as to how those folks believed or lived, is not a religion..?

It is some one re-living the past history, re-inacting it. No more powerfull than re-living the Civil War in mock battles.

Fun yes, but enlightened?  That remains to be seen. I have never seen many Old practicioners, most abandon it long before thier Senior years, and that tells me it is more of a Hobby and not a Life style.

Or possibly, the afrontation to a Christian God eases over time, for some folks!  smile

1. deblipp profile image60
      deblippposted 12 years agoin reply to this

If you have never seen elders, you haven't spent time around Pagans. I don't think I'm an elder, but I've been Pagan for thirty years. I know many who are around from before my time.

Paganism is a New Religious Movement. Many people distrust NRMs because they think "older is better." Indeed, in the beginnings of the Pagan revival in the U.S., Pagan traditions which claimed roots to ancient times were more highly regarded for this reason.

There are *some* Pagan paths which explicitly seek to recreate past practices. For example, Asatru or Hellenism. There are some which are *entirely* and pointedly new, such as Church of All Worlds. Most, however, seek to combine a study of the past with a conscious embrace of modernism and are happy to be *Neo*pagan.

I need not say that it is rude to point to the religion of another and call it mere dilettantism. Many people explore multiple religious paths throughout life, leaving Christianity or joining it, leaving Hinduism or joining it, etc. That some people dabble in Paganism is of no concern to serious practitioners. I accept that exploration is a normal part of a spiritual lifestyle and am not offended by those who visit with us for a while.

13. IanRichardson profile image61
    IanRichardsonposted 12 years ago

I practice several different pagan belief systems (Prehistoric, traditional,contemporary and those I have created myself) and have done so for around 33 years. The biggest and clearest difference usually drawn between paganism and traditional religions is that pagans generally have more respect of, and interest in their immediate environment. I have found though, that clearly the most obvious difference is that pagans tend to do much more self-searching, self-discovery and have more direct spiritual experience. Whereas religious types tend to focus more on God and faith.

The pentacle (or pentagram!) has been around as a symbol for as long as humans have been able to witness it in the night sky. Venus maps out an entire pentagram in the sky every few years. It would therefore seem appropriate to conclude that this symbol actually represents love. I still like the idea of it showing the dominance of spirit over the four states of matter. But it could be used to symbolise anything that has five states/attributes - Medieval Christians used it to represent the five wounds of Christ.

I describe myself as pagan but I still believe there is one universal creative force that links us (and everything else!). Why do I believe this? Because I've seen it, I've heard it, I've smelled it, tasted it AND felt it.............
    Everywhere!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)