Science vs Religion; The ultimate showdown of human origin?

Jump to Last Post 101-103 of 103 discussions (879 posts)
  1. Steven S Phillips profile image61
    Steven S Phillipsposted 9 years ago

No doubt, yes it is. The seeds of all species designed were planted long ago, long before JC. Forget man's re-invention of religion and the bible (these are institutions with all the faults of humanity-power and money-which exist on a larger scale today). Mostly hear say.. The Bible was written many centuries after the death of JC. We must get well beyond the sterotype implications of good versus evil and focus the design of "systems". We as in nature, the universe, and people with very complex "systems". Any systems of a very complex design do not happen randomly as evolutions defines. Complex systems must be designed, whether the creator is still live or not. If I throw a rock in a field, 200 billion years from now it will still just be a rock, not a living species. There is a grand design to life. The grand design specifics states the ability to evolve. That was part of the design by God. Evolutions, therefore, is not against religion.

1. janesix profile image59
      janesixposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Things naturally self-organize all the time from less complex to more complex system. Only due to the laws of nature. Look at a snowflake. Or atoms into more complex molecules. No need for a designer.

1. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image85
        HeadlyvonNogginposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I know that's the stock answer. But we have to keep in mind all the things at play here. There are natural laws that when the elements come into contact, become order out of chaos. Become organized systems. Whatever those laws are, we still don't know what causes them, make things behave certain ways. Sound familiar? And what it makes those things do is become stuff. That's either a fantastical accident that happens over and over again because of those laws, or it's deliberate. I vote B.

1. wilderness profile image96
          wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

"Whatever those laws are, we still don't know what causes them, make things behave certain ways."

Correct.  Which is why the only rational vote is "I don't know". 

(Although the "accident" happened only once, in the BB, and may or may not have been an accident at all - it might have been as inevitable as a dropped ball falling to the earth.)

1. janesix profile image59

I like the idea over the big bang-big crunch rebounding universe theory. All the laws are retained, all the energy and mass is conserved throughout. It makes more sense to me than a universe from nothing. An eternal cycle.

1. Slarty O'Brian profile image80
              Slarty O'Brianposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Read Roger Penrose's alternative to BB. Try looking up Aeons with his name attached.

2. wilderness profile image96

Actually, I do too.  So it was with interest when I read that someone was proposing that dark energy was the key to bringing about the "big crunch", leading to the next BB.  This makes more sense to me than anything else; a one time event is always hard to swallow.  Much more likely to be either infinite or zero - if it can happen once it can (and has) happened a lot more than that in most cases.

Total lack of evidence, though - just a hypothesis that the guy thought was worthy of research.

2. HeadlyvonNoggin profile image85

What if Edwin Hubble was satisfied with, "I don't know" when he noticed how everything was moving away from us? We wouldn't then have the big bang. Yes, I agree more people should be less reluctant to simply acknowledge they don't know. But really, let's be smart about this and not be so quick to apply restrictions prematurely.

If you take all the data, and use some of that imagination we have, you just might come up with something tangible that fits in all the right ways. And then begins to answer questions when plugged in. Now for the obligatory Einstein quote ...

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.”

Exactly. Sorry to do it, but it's right on point, he's so damn smart, and so damn right. Delusion isn't just the bane of the religious. There's a delusion in science community as well, sometimes coined "the science delusion", that's caused some to have totally forgotten this bit and paint themselves into a corner of never learning anything new. It's a sad state of affairs considering all the people who have the resources and opportunity to be teaching us new things have an ideology that's sitting on top of them, rendering them utterly useless. Makes me want to just break down and cry to think about it. Meanwhile, I can barely get anyone to listen so that maybe the people who can will try some new ideas and chase some new rabbits, so to speak. But, then again, as history illustrates over and over again. We're humans. That's what we do. We muck things up, make mistakes, then makes the same ones again, over and over, all while thinking we've finally figured something out this time. I guess it's ultimately inevitable. Sad. Figures.

1. wilderness profile image96

Well, I can certainly agree that imagination encompasses all knowledge (or could - we haven't imagined everything possible yet).  The problem is deciding what is real and what is not, and I just do not find your limited data and imagined possibilities to be of a sufficiently high probability to assign "real" to them.  You make too many unsubstantiated assumptions and ignore too many facts (and possibilities) for my taste.

It does not, of course, mean you are wrong, just that I find the reasoning and logic insufficient to accept the conclusions as true.  As Jane said, there are just too many alternative causes for what you have found; reasons that you seem to dismiss out of hand just to keep to the god theory.  That's always a great danger when dealing in the far past, were facts are few and far between and IMO reason and logic just cannot fill the gap sufficiently.  The result is acknowledged ignorance, and that's OK with me - there are a great many things in the past that we will NEVER know.

I guess that "it fits" just isn't enough to say "it's right".

Hey, by all means. Remain skeptical, always. I don't want my ideas accepted. I want them challenged. Where I have a problem is when it's deemed untrue, but with no reason given as to how that conclusion was reached. Basically I'm told it's untrue because I'm a believer and that's just how we roll, apparently.

But I do want to make one thing clear. I'm not doing anything "just to keep to the god theory". I keep the god theory as long as I find it to be the most applicable, most probable, most logical, of all the potential answers. It has earned it's spot. It's not because i prefer it.

There are many times where logic and reason is all we have to fill in the gaps. It's those or nothing. Given enough data, they're adequate. And you can, much like scientific discovery, continue the hunt for answers with a good hypothesis. Use reason and logic to reach this conclusion, which is consistent with this data. Now, make a prediction. If this explanation is true, then this should be true too. Then look. If it's true, it doesn't mean it's a fact, but it does mean it remains consistent. The more accurate predictions created, the more probable the answer is right, or at least closer to being right. And you've gained new knowledge and insights in the process.

2. wilderness profile image96

Can you support any of these bald statements, or are you merely stating unsupported opinions disguised as fact?

Can you provide proof that all complex systems must be designed by an intelligence?

Can you provide proof that there is a grand design to life?  That the design specific states the ability to evolve?

Can you prove the design was by a god, any god at all?  If so, can you prove it was provided by YOUR god?

Can you even provide proof that the theory of evolution is random rather than the cause and effect rules everyone else views it as?

3. mishpat profile image60
      mishpatposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Who or what is JC?

2. steve8miller profile image65
    steve8millerposted 9 years ago

All one has to do is be good. It is possible to be a man of science and be good. It is possible for a man of religion to be good. It is possible for a spiritual man to be good. If you believe in evolution then you should have no problem signing up for the 10,000,0000 dollar vaccine to keep you alive when the rich decide to create a virus and unleash it on everyone who cannot afford the vaccine.

Why? Because they are at the top of their power and control and anything will have to be done in order to maintain those elite bloodlines. The theory makes sense if you are a powerful Godlike creature. If it was true bunnies would be gone, and monkeys would not exist. There is no evidence of anything changing from one creature into another. I used to believe it too until I read a few more books and put down the remote control to the television.

Just curious about one thing regarding the rich taking out the poor scenario. If you're at the top, and you get rid of everyone you're above, is being at the top really meaningful anymore? Isn't what made you significant how different you are when compared to the 'unwashed masses'?

I'm so dark I'm going to get rid of all the light. Well, genius, now everything's dark and there's nothing significant about your 'darkness' anymore. You got rid of what made you "special".

2. janesix profile image59

All one has to do is be good. It is possible to be a man of science and be good. It is possible for a man of religion to be good. It is possible for a spiritual man to be good. If you believe in evolution then you should have no problem signing up for the 10,000,0000 dollar vaccine to keep you alive when the rich decide to create a virus and unleash it on everyone who cannot afford the vaccine. >> random conspiracy theory

Why? Because they are at the top of their power and control and anything will have to be done in order to maintain those elite bloodlines.>> more random conspiracy theory

The theory makes sense if you are a powerful Godlike creature. If it was true bunnies would be gone, and monkeys would not exist. There is no evidence of anything changing from one creature into another. I used to believe it too until I read a few more books and put down the remote control to the television.>> I'd love to see the titles of those books

3. profile image51
    carlos gildingposted 9 years ago

yes I believe it is but you have to understand faith and science have to do with history and going through the time periods you can have mixed emotions ,feelings or ideas . First two things you have to take a glimpse at would be the bible and the dinosaurs ,the bible evolved and so did  the creatures so some may believe some may not but that's based on your religion.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)