Hubscore fell from 86 to 70

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (31 posts)
  1. clivewilliams profile image74
    clivewilliamsposted 9 years ago

I notice a great fall in my hub score. Could you point out the main reason why my hub score has fallen so dramatically. I don't do spam and most of my hubs are in the 70's and 80's. Then i read that authors with hub score below 85 will have no follow link. Is this just to get rid of some authors from hub pages?

1. Barbara Kay profile image74
      Barbara Kayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Mine went from 95 to 85 overnight. I am wondering about this too.

1. Robin profile image86
        Robinposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paul left the link above to the official form post.  We updated the Hubber Score algorithm yesterday.  Marina goes into detail about the change; it's probably best to leave any questions or concerns in that forum.  I know it's hard to adjust to these changes, but 85 is still a very good score.  Don't be discouraged.  I suggest everyone take the advice I gave to Clive, go back and edit your highest traffic Hubs.  Barbara, you provide a lot of great information to HubPages.  Thank you.  smile

Robin, Thanks for answering.

2. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

i had been reading that we have to edit our highest ranking hubs. Why not editing the lowest ranking hubs?

1. Robin profile image86

Edit your highest traffic Hubs.  These are the Hubs that are being seen by the most readers and your edits have the most impact.  smile

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Clive:  I took a look at your article about keeping dogs happy and saw that you had numerous grammatical errors and also you gave no credits on your photos.  Also, you had a photo of President Obama, so obviously you did not take that one yourself...yet, again, no accreditation.  Your layout is crowded...too many photos and/or poorly placed.  On the other hand, it is a good article that, with some editing, could become a stellar hub.  Hope this helps.

clivewilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

thanks

2. Sed-me profile image79
    Sed-meposted 9 years ago

Mine went from an 84 to an 80 in less than 48 hours.

3. moonlake profile image82
    moonlakeposted 9 years ago

Mine went from 95-96 to 87 in 24 hours. I haven't been in the 80's in many years. I'm ready to get out. I haven't been able to be on here as much but it's something that couldn't be helped.

1. Sed-me profile image79
      Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Maybe if you write a note to the headmaster and explain your whereabouts, you will be excused.

1. csmiravite-blogs profile image74
        csmiravite-blogsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Sed Me:  I checked your article about Mrs. Green and saw that it appeared to be more of a blog and  than a hub.  Also, you did not divide it into capsules and had only one photo.  The story was terrific, but if you wrote it from a different angle and made some edits, this could be a great hub.  An article about how teachers help kids would work better, and definitely, you need more photos, and your first one should be full width with text on it and a caption that repeats the title more or less.  Loved what you had to say though, so give it some thought.  I think you have a good one there...just needs some work.

4. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 9 years ago

Have you considered that topics like marijuana, defending your sandwich and "big feet snot giants" may not be as valuable to Google and readers as they seem to you?

I think you need to consider removing topics that get advertising turned off (drugs are a sketchy subject matter) and the Hubs that are about things other people aren't looking for advice about.

clivewilliamsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

LOL..big feet snot giants. hey what can i say, sometimes a guy just got to defend his sandwich

5. Paul Maplesden profile image76
    Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years ago

There was an algorithm change yesterday that significantly impacted hubscores.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/129577

That makes me feel better.

6. Beaddoodler profile image67
    Beaddoodlerposted 9 years ago

How confusing.  I logged on this morning to find mine had risen 5 points and I haven't done anything but fix a broken link the day after I was notified of it.

1. Paul Maplesden profile image76
      Paul Maplesdenposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Please see the thread I linked above; it explains why your hubscore changed.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74

Beaddoodler, You should give yourself a pat on the back. Everyone else is complaining that theirs have gone down. You must be doing something right.

7. Robin profile image86
    Robinposted 9 years ago

Clive, if I were you, I would stop writing for a while and go back and fix up my Hubs.  I'd start with my highest traffic Hub and work my way down.  Have a friend check your work for grammar and read the Hub out loud to yourself.  I found quite a few grammar mistakes in the few Hubs that I read.  Make sure you only have high-quality, legally used photos and do research to add content.  If you chose to opt out of editing, then you have the responsibility to make sure that your Hubs are top notch because your Hubs affect the success of Hubs by other authors and vice versa.  Good luck!  smile

1. NateB11 profile image90
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Reading a Hub out loud is one of the best things a writer can do. It will give you a good idea of whether the writing is making sense to the reader. Generally, it's a good idea with all writing.

2. ChristinS profile image38
      ChristinSposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I totally agree with the reading aloud and revisiting.  I've been revamping my own website lately. It's 12 years old and some of the older pages - holy cow! All I can say was I was cringing as I was going through lol.

Writing is one of those things we never master.  No matter how many times you go over something; you will find mistakes or something you can make better.  Fortunately, the more you write the easier it is to find things to fix.

I've noticed on my websites, as I've improved sentence structure and grammar, while also making my pages more mobile friendly - my traffic shot up considerably. 

Hopefully overhauling hubs will have the same effect for those of us with falling scores.  I know hubs I wrote 3 years ago suck compared to my current hubs! Reread, rewrite.  In another six months or a year - do it again! I find myself cringing every time I go over something that is older.

1. Robin profile image86

I have had the same experience with my Hubs!  I just went through my Hubs with the lowest HubScores yesterday.  I had unattributed photos, products that never saw any sales because they weren't helpful to the reader, outdated information that was way too general, and content that was not up to standard.  Some of the Hubs I edited and others I unpublished. 

It's amazing to me the change that has happened over the last few years.  In many ways, I think Panda was a good thing.  It is forcing writers to up their game and write really good content for the reader that is free of spammy elements.  HubPages as a whole is still not good enough; we have a lot of work still to do!  Thanks for doing your part, Christin; I know it's been a bumpy ride, but we are trying our best to iterate with the times and create a site that is well respected.

8. firstcookbooklady profile image84
    firstcookbookladyposted 9 years ago

mine went up a point when i deleted two hubs that had no traffic

I had the same thought about  getting  the low scoring hubs off and use them someplace else.

9. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

I unpublished three product hubs and lost a point......can't remember ever being this low sad

10. lisavanvorst profile image64
    lisavanvorstposted 9 years ago

My hub scores fluctuates all the time. You need to be active on this site, even if you do not write new hubs you should at least comment on other hubbers and in forums.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 9 years agoin reply to this

As per the link already provided this is not a fluctuation but a change in how scores are calculated.

2. Barbara Kay profile image74

Being active no longer counts towards hub score.

I am living proof of that. lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)