HP QAP/Algorithm Tweaked Again?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (44 posts)
  1. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

Has the HP algo changed within the last day or so? My hubscores are dropping all of a sudden, especially the lowest scoring hubs. Or could this be due to a sharp decrease in traffic? Maybe both? I just have a feeling after reading Paul Edmondson's hub that something drastic is happening to address the Google crisis. Anyone else notice?

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Mine seem to have dropped a bit, also, but nothing drastic.  I think at this point the team is trying everything to raise the level of our work.  Unfortunately, many who follow the rules and write well are getting caught up in the numbers.  My best hub that has the most views dropped from 100 at one point to now down in the high 80s.  Still getting views, though..so who knows?

jansharesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

One of mine that used to hit 100 and get 75-100 views a day has never been the same since January, in hubscore or views. As you say, we will have to get through this knowing that changes are meant to improve the site overall and weed out the rest.

2. Dr Billy Kidd profile image90
      Dr Billy Kiddposted 8 years agoin reply to this

A few of mine dropped by a few views each,

1. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No things seem pretty normal today.

3. paradigm search profile image55
      paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, my hub scores have been drifting down as well. As for Google slamming our entire site, for me resignation has set in. It's also killed all desire to continue work on my newest hub; hopefully I'll snap out of that. And then we got the soon-to-be summer traffic pattern showing up.

4. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jan, well, my views are really good. I guess, I am still a bit confused as I thought now our individual hub scores are no longer based on views but quality. Google seems to love them but HP is not saying same quality as Google, so hub scores are dropping way down despite tons of views. Hubs that have always been in the 90s now have scores in the 70s and 60s! So something must get back on track with HP, unless I have read the HP weekly emails incorrectly and their new quality standards not having anything to do with views?

I'm confused about that, too Faith. I see correlations between views, hubscores, hubberscores, traffic. It's like clock work, all seeming to go up and down simultaneously.

2. Sue Adams profile image94
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

Blue arrows all over the place. And worse, the earnings figure has been stuck for days. sad

Horrible earnings yesterday, a low point.

3. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 8 years ago

Jan, I don't know what's happening, my average hub score is staying the same but I only have two or three hubs in the 90s now, where I usually have around six or seven. My views are down a lot and earnings are stagnant.

I haven't seen a hub in the 90s in several months after having between 20 and 25 hubs consistently in the mid to high 90s for a year or so.

1. Jodah profile image91
        Jodahposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Just checked again, only one left in 90s and only just at 91...lots in 60s.

1. Lady Lorelei profile image86
          Lady Loreleiposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, dropping dropping dropping and waiting for the scores to simply fall off a cliff. Updating and improving them seems to only get a lower ranking than previously. I am beginning to think that I am on a "Don't you dare rank any hub on that account above an 80" list. Very demotivating. If earnings are somehow correlated to the ranking than this is not a fair ranking system.

4. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

Is HP doing a Google Doodle - reducing scores by 20% so HP hub and hubber scores stay correlated with traffic.
    Core algo change a la HP. Strange timing. Probably a bug.
    I remember a long time ago, in a land far away, you used to be able to install a program on a Mac that made a bug image crawl across the screen at random intervals. Lots of bugs at HP!

Really? hmm They really need to spray.

5. paradigm search profile image55
    paradigm searchposted 8 years ago

For what it's worth, the last few hubs I've edited got a 2-5 point attaboy increase. big_smile

As for how long those increases last...

Me too. It was working so well. But some of them have gone back down.

6. janshares profile image94

2 days ago 8 or 9  of my hubs were in the 60s. Today 16. There is a tweaking going on.

1. colorfulone profile image77
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

What kind of tweaking could it possibly be?

I'm speculating but I sense that the rating criteria for hubs has been raised, i.e., stricter, tightening up of what deems a high hubscore. I could be totally wrong but when several of my hubs do the same thing simultaneously, my witchy-poo senses tell me something has changed.

1. colorfulone profile image77
          colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

After reading through this thread and some other threads this morning I'm thinking your senses are keen. 

I have been spending my time over the weekend on Zazzle and Wanelo.  BTW, things get indexed by Google very fast when I post something on Wanelo.

2. paradigm search profile image55
      paradigm searchposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yep, they're proliferating all over the place. Looking for my flyswatter.

1. brakel2 profile image72
        brakel2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Yesterday all my hubs were in the 90s 80s and 70s, but today they are all in the 70s and 60s. I was going to post but glad someone else did. What kind of sense does that make? I guess it is to get us to improve our scores. However, I have already updated every one of my hubs and got my scores up. The problem is thin content from what I read. That is what needs to be dealt with, in my opinion. The article I read says they downgraded the entire site due to thin content. regardless of all other improvements and subdomains  It is so sad.

Thanks, brakel2. I do remember reading that and it now makes sense that my lower scoring hubs that went down even more have "thin content," i.e., poetry hubs.

I don't think your poetry hubs would be thin content. Poetry is beautiful, especially yours. They were talking about articles that information was not original but already on Internet: nothing fresh.

Oh. Thanks for your vote of confidence. I assumed "thin" also included short hubs that aren't informative or how-to. I thought that since the majority of searchers don't read poetry, it gets lumped into less desirable content for Google, i.e., thin.

I found some info on thin content which is helpful to me.

https://support.google.com/webmasters/a … 4719?hl=en

Thank you, brakel, that was very helpful. So I'm not "thin" in content. That's good to know. smile

7. janderson99 profile image54
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

20 percent reduction in traffic across the board by Google - unrelated to quality - makes no sense
    10 percent downgrading of hub scores across the board by HP - unrelated to quality - makes no sense

What a fabulous way to slap morale down further!

Thanks for that info, confirmation appreciated.

8. LuisEGonzalez profile image78
    LuisEGonzalezposted 8 years ago

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12415289_f248.jpg

Love it. We need this kind of stuff.

Strange I am not seeing this at all.  My traffic has increased all week and according to google stats tonight is at its highest for weeks..  I edited at least ten hubs yesterday and the only negative has been that my profile score went gone down one point.

1. janderson99 profile image54
          janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Has your average hub score declined? Mine went down over the last few days.

No, it has remained pretty constant and at its highest it has ever been.   I have been using Grammarly to edit all my hubs and hope to get through all of them by the end of this week.

Do you have Editor's Choice Hubs? A lot of them?

Yes, I have seventeen.

2. brakel2 profile image72

Google must love you, Sally. Congrats.

brake12
            I hope he will love all of us soon:)

You are so sweet, kind, and humble. I hope we all get increased traffic as soon as possible. In reality. we are fortunate.

9. janshares profile image94

Update: Hubscores increasing on the ever-changing roller coaster. Maybe this is now the norm, albeit frustrating. I mentioned above that 16 hubs were suddenly in the 60s after only having 8. This morning it's back to 8. Good news? I don't know. It's Monday.

sallybea, it is interesting that you don't see what most of us are experiencing. Could it be that you have a niche with excellent how-tos? Keep up the good work.

My scores back to normal: that is hub scores. Update June 7.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)