Hub Grouping

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (20 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

Do you group your hubs?

I have been looking closer at writing more hubs while seeking to narrow the topic. I have with answers explored that seeking others views and experience. I question if the topic is as much the niche as well as having a niche article. With that in mind some questions come to mind:

(Please bear in my mind personally my views are little, yet I seek their value through community)

If a variety of hubs are written and an article stands out representing a niche is it best to focus then on the topic for additional articles?

Is there a greater value with the 'likeness' of a Topic maybe with a sub-topic than the greater variety?

With SEO practices, of which I have a small experience, do you market the Topic as a grouping assertively as well as a particular article(s)?

Does that lend to becoming an expert?

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 8 years ago

I also write articles on a variety of unrelated topics. For that reason I find grouping my hubs to be very important. It gives the reader a chance to see other hubs I've written on the same subject that they just read.

Every time I publish a new hub, I carefully position it in a group. I even place it between two other hubs that make the most sense for the reader to find of interest.

Over a period of time I analyze my Google Analytics that shows the flow of how readers follow from one hub to another. With that information I make ongoing changes to my group positioning, especially when I see readers drop out too soon rather than reading a second hub of mine.

Proper use of Hub Grouping can make a big difference in traffic flow.

1. Pearldiver profile image67
        Pearldiverposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1
        Nicely explained there Mr Glen
        I find that if you are writing 101s or other 'instructional' hubs (on any subject) there is a need to provide a second tier of related info
        eg: talking about golf clubs in a general sense should quite an extensive summary, but one which also acts as a 'feeder' hub by always leading the client to read further, from your secondary hubs
        - say 'How to get the best out of your 5 iron' or 'Why you should always check your swing before driving'
        This tier of hubs are likely to be more successful sales-wise than your primary hubs... simply because you can specifically target market with a specific products in mind.
        Why I like this is because depending on how you introduce you secondary hubs (within your primary hub) it doesn't come across like a pushy sales technique, as so many other hubs do.
        + You have the ability to build an early level of trust with prospects who have read your primary, simply by writing it in an engaging way, suggesting options (and links to your second tiers) for them without any BUY THIS NOW filling.
        Oh yes, btw don't waste your time trying to be an SEO 'expert'
        It's far more important to be an expert at
        1 - What you know best and
        2 - dealing with people on their level...
        Most SEO 'Gurus' generally never allow themselves the opportunity to genuinely understand 'real' people as their roles in life tend to lead them away from P2P relationships and towards trying to understand bots etc which of course don't have overpowering personalities like average Joe Public.  big_smile
        Hope this helps a smidgeon tsmog  Bon Chance...

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
          rebekahELLEposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hey Rob, nice to see a post from Pearldiver.  big_smile
          Well said also. 
          It's important to groups hubs for the reader and the search engines.

Hello dear friend... yes I'm back like the cat and have a wee bit of sweeping to do with my own hubs. Good to see you rebekahELLE . Must come over to your pad soon and do some reading of your works... I've written a lot of pieces in my absence, I should put one up as a teaser. big_smile

2. tsmog profile image85
          tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Pealdiver. I am still in quandary with SEO. It seems pushed a lot, although I get what you are saying. Focus on the interaction with the readers by being an expert. That offers me great pause for this time of thinking the next step for a writing adventure :-)

Well Tim it all comes down your heart... readers know from an emotive writing style that you are open and genuine... That I believe gives advantage in many respects... but don't pause your ticker for too long buddy  big_smile
            If you follow this thread it's consistent in regard to a technique that was established before the buzz word SEO was even conceived to give so called 'gurus' a warm fuzzy feeling...
            If you go back 5 - 6 years and read up on Sunforged and others like Josh, the logic of grouping your works, thus your links was based on best SEO practice...
            Forget all the buzzy noises you hear about SEO atm...
            Follow the advice in this thread and you have already learned the basics - SEO is really about linking and the juice (power to drive traffic) generated by the linking techniques used in a desired market, along with the analysing of key words, value of competitors links etc. etc.
            The biggest problem relates to SEO is what colour hat you use when establishing links..
            .I can't get into this atm. But appreciate that there are a lot of 'link farms' that rape the whole SE system. Fleas on the dog... don't waste your life worrying about how to best de-flea the dog, as while you are asleep a whole new infestation arises.
            Google knock them down only to have them pop up again... I believe the game 'Whack-a-mole'  best describes the market pitfalls.
            Tried and True is the advice already given bar one extremely important component that hasn't been referred to directly in the thread. That is Always publish quality work... the best you can generate and link them to more quality...
            How hard is that SEO-wise?
            Gotta fly and you've gotta stop pausing...
            See you in the Spring my friend... take care  big_smile

1. tsmog profile image85

Thanks bunches pearldiver. I am in a pause with Doctor stuff for awhile, but reading much, much more storing up info. Seeking being green like a forest, however a little stuck on focusing my camera on the same thing. The advice shared opens many doors while being doors within doors. The imagery of choice would be surrealism. I will be following this thread as well as the many others here offering a plethora. One only needs to listen more than hear. A friend and I have a philosophy No Pressue . . . have fun, fun, fun . . . as best as can be :-)

Good on you mate... You take care then and get back to your stick shaking when you're fit as a snake. All the best Tim

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Glen, I'm not sure I'm following what you are saying.

I write in one niche now and group my articles within subtopics of that niche.  However, I was unaware that you could place your articles specifically within a group of them.  How exactly do you do this?

By the way, I have found that writing in one niche makes all of the "related hubs" kind of match up, even though they are not in order.

1. wilderness profile image93
          wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Go to "hubs", and "Groups".  There, you can make new groups as well as assign/re-assign hubs to specific groups, and in the order you wish them to appear.

I see you already use the "group" feature, but you can also put them in whatever order you wish, so that a particular pair of hubs will show up as the "previous" and "next" hubs.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
            Glenn Stokposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you, wilderness, for answering TT2.  I was about to reply to her and then saw you already had. Perfect answer and very complete.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
            TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I was not aware of this.  I knew of course about grouping, but I assumed they entered the group in alphabetical order and never dreamed I could arrange them.  Awesome!  Thanks.

3. tsmog profile image85

Thank you Glenn. I will take a look at Google Analytics. I must admit I still need to learn much more of it too. One step at a time as they say.

4. Venkatachari M profile image87
        Venkatachari Mposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Very great advices, Glenn and Pearldiver!!! Both of you have mentioned some very important and realistic ideas on groupings and need for primary and secondary hubs on niche topics. I came to learn a lot from your posts here. Thanks for it to both of you and to Tim (tsmog) for raising this topic.

Thank you for saying Venkatachari M

2. sunilkunnoth2012 profile image61
      sunilkunnoth2012posted 8 years ago

Yes, I do and it is quite interesting and helpful on several counts.

3. Venkatachari M profile image87
      Venkatachari Mposted 8 years ago

I do not have any idea of google analytics or seo. Presently, I am writing whatever I feel like writing and not on any particular topic. But I try to arrange my hubs under categories, whenever I find time and get the mood. It is not a regular process with me at present.

4. cperuzzi profile image89
      cperuzziposted 8 years ago

I absolutely do group my hubs.  When I find that a large concentration of my hubs can be related by a group or topic - usually about ten or so - I'll group them.  I find they get more attention and if a reader likes one hub, he can move onto the next one you wrote with ease.

I think you get more hits that way.

+ 1
        Yep..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)