Charleston Tragedy-Now Out Come the Apologists from the Right

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Credence2 profile image78
    Credence2posted 8 years ago

NRA Board of Directors Member Charles Cotton blames Pastor Pinckley, a vicitm of the church massacre,  for his own death because as a legislator he voted against the universal concealed carry laws in South Carolina. According to Cotton, if he had have supported the law, the members of his church would have been armed and could have thwarted their attacker with bullets of their own.

Thank God that as part of a search for a new home, after leaving Hawaii,  in the 'lower 48' we decided not to live in this South Carolina.

Now, that is a crock of Right Wing rubbish without dispute
    ----------------

Jeb Bush says that just because Dyllan Roof said that he; wanted to foment a race war, accuse black men of rape, say  that blacks had the goal of taking over the nation in addition to wearing and spouting all paraphernalia and verbage associated with white supremist groups,  we should not jump to the conclusion  that Roof's attacks were  racially motivated.

That has got to be as dumb as a sack of rocks! Following the path of your brother, are you?
    --------
    Fox News says that this attack was an assualt on Christianity, what a spin. So why not Dyllan just decide to shoot up white church members in his own neighborhood if that was the case?

Gotta tune in and see what Bill Mauer has to say about this tonight!!

That's Fox News for you, winner of the esteemed Ted Baxter award for excellence in broadcast journalism!

2. janesix profile image58
    janesixposted 8 years ago

Well that's silly, because the guy ADMITTED he wanted to start a race war.

Credence2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Oh, Yes!

3. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

So now what of the rumors of drugs ?    Does that still make it a race war ?

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

NO

1. profile image0
        ahorsebackposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+   Seriously , The KKK still exists in this town .!?*%

1. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Haven't you heard?  The KKK is no longer a racist, white supremacy group!  They only do good things now.

(And I've got a bridge for sale, if you're interested...)

So do you think this twenty one year old was inspired by
            1. Pure racism
            2. Substance abuse
            3. A messed up psyche due to who knows what  family/environmental influences?
            4. All the above
            5. 2 and 3.
            6. 1 and 2
            7. 1 and 3
            8. A satanic force
            9. political:
            UPDATE 1:25 a.m. : According to NBC News, two sources have confirmed that State Senator Clementa Pinckney, the senior pastor of Emanuel AME, is among the dead.
            And everybody knows what the president thinks of our overly lenient gun laws.

For what its worth:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/the … snewsreu11

4. profile image0

It isn't guns , it isn't the KKK,  It's inside the man [ boy] !     One more sign of a broken  soul , a twisted mind , a free range druggy    and a society-culture  that really doesn't care enough  about laws .     Someone growing up without a soul , without an identity . So they have to go out and buy one by striking it rich with instant notoriety .    While the rest of the world  looks to the simple answer .

I am however amazed at the bond hearing ,the judge  letting the victims advocates speak !What a  farce the justice system is !      A fifteen million dollar trial  , life in prison  ,    a media and culture war about  reasons .   Why not just hang him and be done !      We  in America , have become a factory for soulless  kids ,  truly blind to real justice and punishment   ! And a soulless , heartless mental health system .   

But lets blame an inanimate object - while he could have used a car , a bomb , a knife , a sword , a  truck , a bulldozer !   What a world !    America - when will you stop raising kids , mindlessly .

+1
      However, I still say this incident cannot be taken to represent the whole.
      it is an aberration. Be careful with those broad strokes.

It would be interesting to know this kid's whole history; to let us understand this as a case study.
      Will they let us in on it? I doubt it. But, it could serve as a lesson in how NOT to raise a child.

You could say the same thing about Ted Bundy or Tim McVeigh. You can have a case study, that is fine. But unless he is discovered as criminally insane, he should be subject to due process like anyone else that commits horrific crimes of this magnitude

I really do not know why you are stating the OBVIOUS!!!!

You really do not get that there is a way to prevent this incident from EVER HAPPENING AGAIN?
          The kid is MESSED UP.

By understanding this as a case study we could gain some insights on how to avoid creating this kind of psychotic mind in children everywhere.

Of course, he should be given a death sentence. His parents have something to do with this… I go one step further and say punish them as well.

Just clarification....... that we are saying the same thing.

It is not appropriate to punish the parents of an adult child who commits crimes. That is a point of contention between us. Being part of the age of majority, we are all responsible for our own behavior and must accept the consequences. I am not so quick to issue a death sentence, I expect a judge to use discretion under the circumstances, but the minimum should be life imprisonment without the possibility of parole. This is about justice, not revenge.

Uh, he killed nine people in cold blood. Are you OUT OF YOUR MIND?

Dear ahorseback :
              I agree

<"I am however amazed at the bond hearing ,the judge  letting the victims advocates speak !What a  farce the justice system is !      A fifteen million dollar trial  , life in prison  ,    a media and culture war about  reasons .   Why not just hang him and be done !      We  in America , have become a factory for soulless  kids ,  truly blind to real justice and punishment   ! And a soulless , heartless mental health system .">

The Unibomber, Jeffrey Dahlmer all committed horrendous crimes. They are in prison, (correction Dahlmer is dead) . I don't know where the line between being sentenced to life imprisonment verses the death penalty is drawn. But even this blood thirsty kid is entitled to be judged with aforementioned evaluation criteria.

To see if he is criminally insane?

Updated:
                  The criminally insane should be evaluated based on this:
                  Were they BORN this way?
                  If not, then their parents contributed.
                  Why do they (the parent/s) get off scott free?
                  They should NOT
                  IMHO

Yes, that is fair, as one evaluative factor

Who can really establish a cause and effect relationship between behavior of the parents toward a criminal offender and causal factors related to the commission of the crime?

The evidence will be tenuous at best. It is an impossible standard to apply within our legal system, and you should go elsewhere. The parents did not commit the crime. Klebold of the infamous pair of boys that shot up Columbine High School back in 1999 was a 17 year old at the time. I would have charged the parents with contributing to the delinquincy of a minor through their sheer negligence as to what the boy was doing in their home, right under their nose. This is only possible because the boy was a minor and is the responsibility of his parents.

2. wilderness profile image95

Are you assuming that all parents are perfectly suited to the job?  That they have total control over their children?

Or were they "thrown" into a job they can't handle, without the control necessary to assign blame?

5. profile image0

Mix of word meanings , part of justice is the revenge of a society on the perpetrator . call it what you will for wording , this culture has reduced the most major of criminal infractions to misdemeanors.  We can't stand the thought of punishments ....until we are victims ourselves !

And so typical a story of late ,broken family ,  mixed up adult child , on drugs , on alcohol , under the influence  of  some cult or another . And yet , we keep reinventing "who's to blame "

Thank you.

6. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years ago

ahorseback:
    Can you please expound upon what you know as far as what you wrote here:
    < "And a soulless , heartless mental health system .">

7. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Death Sentence is a good deterring factor for even the criminally insane, I would say.
    If you do not want to be put to death, don't put anyone to death.
    What is wrong with the death penalty, credence2?

I dont like the death penalty, I would rather see a guilty one live than an innocent one put to death, because it is irreversible.

Most modern democracies have dispensed witrh the death penalty. I speak again of civility, it is impropriate to punish the insane, who it can be shown was guilty, but not responsible. Just like I believe it is inappropriate to execute people who commit crimes as a minor. That is why the younger of the pair of snipers running around Virginia a few years ago was spared the death penalty while his adult partner was not.

All of that aside, I accomodate the death penalty as part of American culture, but if it is to be applied it has to be in a non cavalier fashion, taking into consideration mitigating circumstances regarding the crime and the defendent.

But, what about in this case. How criminally insane can a 21 year old be?
        he was practically just born. 1994!
        I do not believe they are born insane.
        ( If the child is born insane it is because of poor prenatal care, in which case the mother should be held accountable.)

Anybody can be insane, the malady does not discriminate. Not everyone has the luxury of being able to feed their children on milk and honey, economics play a role in all of this.

8. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

A child is very much influenced by his parents/environment especially the first six years of his life. If the parents did not do their research and give him what he needed, they are to be held responsible, in my opinion.
    What is my opinion based on?
    This:
    It is a fact of reality that the first six years is the growth of the mind, brain and personality. The combination of these is the psyche which is built through the child's absorption of the environment. The psyche is completely influenced by the treatment given by the parents.

If parents are not smart enough and loving enough to do the job adequately, that is a REAL problem. Punishing the parents will help to prevent others from being so cavalier, so irresponsible and so callous as to bring a child into the world; a child they had no ability to deal with what-so-ever.

Who knows what is smart enough and loving enough, these days....

This isn't Ozzie and Harriet, we are in a new world with 10 year olds having access to communication tools linking them to a world fraught with danger without supervision. Things that were unimaginable when I was that age.

Who decides which parents are guilty and under what criteria can we really really judge the outcome of a defendent's life with the crime committed based upon the the parents and how he or she was raised?

So, I have to disagree with your premise.

It is true. I do not agree with handing technology to children younger than fifteen. or only with very close supervision for short periods of time.
        I think this technology is dangerous for growing minds. I work in the public school and I see how these computer apps are used. The kids only get addicted to them.
        Isn't it time we start holding parents accountable for their offspring on a more intense level?
        I think so.
        ...and teachers as well, while we're at it.

Yet, everybody has a cell phone, that can connect to the internet. There pretty darn handy and useful when used by responsible adults. Yes, I say that it is proper to hold parents responsible for the behavior of their children. Teachers as well to the extent of their capacity as loco parentis.

2. wilderness profile image95

And the parents of the teachers that failed to properly teach not to kill?  And the professors that taught the teachers to teach, but did so improperly?  And the legislators that require particular curriculum that doesn't teach not to kill?  And the citizens that elected those legislators?

Punish them all!

You are certainly coming out with battle ax this morning!!!

Sure - why not?  As long as we're going to punish innocent people, we should simply eliminate the human race altogether.  Do the job right and turn the planet over to the cockroaches.  smile

definitely food for thought....

2. janesix profile image58
      janesixposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm certainly glad YOU don't make the laws in this country.

9. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

If the death penalty is in place it should act as a deterrent. If someone commits first degree murder, the criminal should realize he is committing suicide as well.  He is willingly accepting that fate.

I agree with that...

10. Kathryn L Hill profile image77

Well, they will inherit the earth at the rate we're going. Why NOT speed up the process?

I'm old and decrepit; please wait until I'm in the ground before doing it.

won't be long to wait? okay.

11. Moshka profile image59
    Moshkaposted 8 years ago

More like out come the left wing gun grabbers. Starting with our illustrious, incompetent President.
    http://image.patriotpost.us/2013-12-03-humor-1.jpg

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)