Two HubPages Accounts . . . Thoughts.

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (18 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image85
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

Trying out the Hub Hopper I noticed there is a queue distinguishing typical hubs from a creative work or humor. Since HP apparently values them differently would having a separate HP account for typical hubs that are not creative writing and one for creative writing offer any advantages?

Also, what about an account for a specific 'Niche' topic with many articles contrast the typical Hubber Profile?

2. ChristinS profile image40
    ChristinSposted 8 years ago

There are others here who do this and have separate hub accounts for niche topics or use a separate account for poetry and creative writing etc.  The downside is both accounts would have to reach the minimum threshold for payout and it could take awhile.  That was one of the biggest factors in my choice to not split my hubs up into separate accounts.  I am still considering it for one niche though, but I probably won't bother honestly, because I think moving the few hubs I've already written over to a new account would be more hassle than it's worth.

On the plus side, a niche account could help set you up as an expert in your topic of expertise and all your hubs would be related.  This could definitely help in the instances where seemingly unrelated things are shown on hubs in the "more by this author" and "related hubs" sections etc.

Having the creative writing not on the same account would probably help your overall scores too as creative writing doesn't seem to do well here in that department. 

It will be interesting to hear what others experiences have been who have done this.

1. tsmog profile image85
      tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you Christin.:-) I don't have the factor of splitting articles. I cleaned my account of non-productive hubs over the last two years. I am down to 10 today from over 100 while considering I have been here over 4 years. The first two years I published a lot, the last two years have been more inactive due to circumstance, and in recent months more active again. Not sure how long that will last, although my focus is seeking greater success especially with views. I hit Hubber Score in the 90's in the distant past, so feel I can achieve that.

However, looking more closely at writing 'Stellar Hubs' and less creative and personalized Hubs I ponder my current profile as a brand name. I have been researching 'Niche' Topics while learning more of SEO. I ponder keeping my current 'tsmog' account and open a new account with a different name focused on the 'Niche' while seeking a brand recognition.

Your reply offers great food for thought and I thank you!

3. Buildreps profile image86
    Buildrepsposted 8 years ago

For a short while I had another account in order to publish articles that I didn't want to publish under my current pseudonym. But then I thought, why using another pseudonym when I already have a pseudonym? It seemed somewhat cumbersome afterwards. So, I deleted the second account.

My initial motivation was that some articles wouldn't fit under this current pseudonym. A diamond is finally also a polyhedron, so why wouldn't a Hubpages author, as a real human being, not be like a diamond?

There is also a practical objection, HP will demand you login via captcha's, when you've more than one account.

1. tsmog profile image85

Interesting regarding the captcha. I guess that is a good security measure with today's identity thefts. Listening I grasp you are saying an article stands on its own leading to its own pattern of growth. That contributes to the Hubber Profile leading toward its growth. Perceiving that there is much to consider especially since I am in a good position to build the profile with new hubs. Thank You Buildreps :-)

4. KatyWhoWaited profile image83
    KatyWhoWaitedposted 8 years ago

Tim,
    We're practically neighbors. We stay most of the year in an RV off Jamboree and the PCH in Newport Beach! Before I tell you my experience with two hub identities, I want to mention the OC Writers Group.  I don't know why it took me 10 years to think of joining a writer's group, but this is the most organized, helpful group I have ever found!  Check out their website.  There are Round Table discussions and "Write-Ins" - poets, novelists, the real deal!  It would be worth the ride from Escondido -  I think Lake Forest would be the one that's closest.

Now  to the question of having 2 hub profiles.  I started posting my letters from Vietnam under this name ("Katy Who Waited").  The letters are from my former husband and for a multitude of reasons, I wanted to keep that hub anonymous.  I recently removed the 70 letters I had here in order to put them into a blog and then an app linking to that blog and then an ebook.  Now I'm not so sure I did the right thing. But back to your question:

Positives: I DO think it helped to keep those letters separate because they were indeed, not the "how to" type of article that hub pages does well, PLUS they obviously all fit together as one piece which then can be taken off of hubpages and made into a book or ebook, etc.  It's easier to keep track of your best received pieces if your poetry is in one place.  Also, there is that "previous" and "next" link as I remember that you can put on your creative writing, so readers can easily go right to the next. (IFthey see that link).  I also had created an index page as a separate "hub".  The final positive is that hubpages is set up with readers and a seeemingly ok search engine set up and I DO like the statistical analysis.  That's hubpages best feature in my opinion.

Negatives:  As Christin said, it can be a hassle bringing things over.  In addition, I think that there might be some synergy in having all the hubs together. The greater number of diverse hubs might create a wider audience. I don't know. I received only 27,000 some views over many years with those letters as individual hubs and just pennies every month.  I must say that I did stop the letters in the middle (half way through) so that might account for some loss of readers.  If you're transferring some of your creative writing to a separate profile that shouldn't be a problem.  My problem came early on years ago when I transferred my WHOLE hub profile (before the letters) to another name.  I lost ALL of my comments and all of my numbers and had to start from scratch.    (I apparently have an identity problem.  One time on the web, I wrote a comment about how brilliant a previous commenter's comment was until I  suddenly realized that the previous commentator was ME.  I had been using the name "Katy" and only recognized me after wondering how ANYONE could be so insync with my thinking.  So just keep your names straight smile

My letters from Vietnam were just so obviously separate from anything else I wrote and the need for anonymity so important that it was easy to make the decision to make a separate hub profile for them. 

The basic problem that prompts this question is that the hubpage format doesn't lend itself well to creative writing although writers like Billy Buc, etc, etc. prove that to not be exactly true. Plus I don't think that it's a particularly attractive place for creative writing.  It feels way "old fashioned" to me.  There are better avenues for our writing. One of my friends in the OC Writers group suggested that I create a literary website.  (My business website lists my writing but it's sandwiched in with other things).  It seems to me that poetry lends itself well to slide shows with pictures and I find hubpage formatting way too inflexible for something really beautiful and slick. There's no harm in trying a few poems under a different profile.  You can always just unpublish the new profile and transfer things back.

One thing I'd check out is how the MOBILE app VIEW of hubpages looks for your creative work.  Check how your poetry formats on your phone before making the final decision of whether or not to publish poetry here.  I don't know.  I'm just saying that might be a consideration.

Also, I think because of the ease of the web, we have forgotten about submitting our work to publishers of magazines, etc. The Writer's Guide to Publishing and writersdigest list publishers and contests.  I'm sorry that I didn't spend more time submitting my work, but I'm going to concentrate on that now.

I don't know if I'll republish my Vietnam letters here or continue with my blog.  I'm going to pose that question in a forum. 

No matter what, if you haven't checked out the OC Writers, I think it might be fun to try.

Cheers,
    Billie

1. tsmog profile image85

Wow! Thank you Katy! You have hit the nail on the head with the dilemma I am pondering. I would like to do two things. Long range goal is write a fiction novel and short-mid range is develop a passive income from internet writing to subsidize my Social Security when it arrives. Those both take time and today offer a minor conflict.

I have a lean toward publishing short story fiction Hubs for developing a writer's voice with poetry tossed in along the way. I have been examining developing a 'Niche Topic(s)' with expertise. And, I have those articles I like to write for fun at times of odd things or sharing discoveries.

Obviously I am not an expert at fiction writing. Maybe there will be success offering expertise and maybe not. However, I know there is not experience backing it up today. HP offers the possibility of that development leading toward self-publishing at Amazon for instance as many former HP friends are doing.

So, similar to you especially with the transitions HP has undergone and Google one may simply accept there will be more changes in the future as well. As shared listening to your reply there is a key with writing passionately as well as passionately writing about something while recognizing HP is a business. However it is built on a social structure of writers both writing passionately and passionately writing including articles of expertise and strong SEO practices.

Personally I think and feel HP has done an amazing work seeking satisfying all those. Kudos!!! The forums are immensely valuable with the learning what is successful especially with 'Niche' and SEO. Comments at hubs are extremely valuable with the lean toward creative works while having a greater community base or seems to appear as such. And, also in the forums there is plenty of help with technical issues.

Thank you for sharing about the OC Writers. I am kinda' homebound for now, though I have listed that as a source for the future. I offer best wishes with your letter theme especially since my dad and cousins served there. I think those will have great value! :-)

5. earner profile image81
    earnerposted 8 years ago

I have another name, for a particular subject matter.... but it's difficult to manage two, especially if you're feeling disheartened smile

Unless there's a strong reason to separate out identities, stick with one account .... else you'll end up 2 years down the line, having 'forgotten' about the other account/s and/or never getting round to logging into them.

1. tsmog profile image85

Why disheartened? Another matter I would presume. I kinda' want to forget about one of the 'Niche' Topics I am considering. My hope is it has a strong residual readership being a green enough topic with great earnings. Then I can focus on the fiction writing shared at the post I left for Katy. What you shared has great worth for me and I thank you! :-) It lends to me to ponder the mid-long range goals contrast the short range.

6. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

What I've done is keep this main account with which I've written about stuff I know; started back when I knew nothing of SEO. It's sort of "me", so to speak. On another account, I started publishing articles on it that are keyword optimized; started writing those after I finally figured out some SEO. Then I have another account that is basically niche; kind of experimenting with that one.

Considering number of Hubs on each account, my main account gets the least traffic, but not too bad because it has a lot of articles. My keyword optimized account gets the most traffic and only has maybe a third of the amount of articles that the main account has. So, that taught me a lesson in the value of SEO. The niche account has maybe a fourth of the amount of articles as the keyword optimized account but still gets close to the same amount of traffic as my main account. The niche account has keyword optimized articles on it, by the way.

So, lesson to me is, keyword research works, niche sites work. Although the niche account might just be working because I did keyword research for the articles on it. The claim is that Google likes "authority sites", sites that are focused on specific subject matter, though the coverage could be broad; it's been debatable here at HP whether this rule applies to HP.

As far as what the value of having multiple accounts is, I guess for me it has to do with monitoring progress, see what works; and to write about subjects I don't want on my main account because, like I was saying, my main account is sort of "me".

1. tsmog profile image85

Thank you so much NateB11!!! :-) Your experiences offer great consideration for what I am pondering. The perspective I grasp is there is great value with worth for multiple accounts. I like the idea of a learning account too especially with Niche Topics and SEO practices like KeyWord. Do you use the 'Stellar Hub' Model too?

As mentioned earlier in a reply one may consider one profile ID with reliance of strong hub performance each as a stand alone. Each Hub does perform with its own merits. Yet, I do like the possible strategy of having a 'Niche Topic' profile especially as a 'brand' development for expertise. I gather easily from your comment the immense value of SEO practices for that purpose. Your success offers being a great role model for those.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and expertise.

1. NateB11 profile image88
        NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

No problem, glad to help!

I do use the Stellar Hub Model. I usually follow the guidelines when in edit mode; up in the upper right corner.

7. mattforte profile image87
    mattforteposted 8 years ago

Not only is it allowed, but HubPages has created situations where this happens on their own. (Case in point: if you had a HP and a Squidoo account, you now have two HP accounts)

And not only does it happen, but it is smart. I have a few accounts - I use each for different purposes (Although I only use one heavily). Splitting niches between accounts should work out better for you in Google...because it will help you build "authority" in a particular topic, rather than having a hodge podge mix of topics.

I approve of this question.

1. Denmarkguy profile image84
      Denmarkguyposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I ended up with two accounts as a result of the Squidoo/HP merger... the biggest "problem" with that turned out to be the inability to move articles between accounts... aside from manually copying/pasting and completely redoing and republishing. That was one of the things I appreciated about "older" versions of Squidoo before their demise.. you could transfer articles between users.

For me, multiple accounts make sense to the degree you are using HubPages as part of an overall strategy to "build authority" within specific niches, and you want to keep a very "clean" looking profile/account for each niche... maybe your passions are skateboarding and sociology-- two accounts would make sense. For a "generalist" or casual writer who covers many topics? Not so much.

1. tsmog profile image85

Thank you Denmarkguy! It appears there is some challenges with moving Hubs in entirety from one sub-domain to another or account to account. Surely that is an engineering / programming challenge at this time or something. I empathize with the Squidoo the participants with the Squidoo merger. Even though a member there, I participated as a reader and not a publisher.

I agree having multiple accounts for 'Niche Topics' as you share having a status of authority makes good sense and seems wise too. That also seems to be a consensus too. I am strongly considering that when I begin to publish hubs on a given 'Niche Topic' theme.

2. tsmog profile image85

Thank you Mattforte!! I see a consensus with value between posts made there is value with worth for multiple accounts. BTW I was not aware two accounts were made with the Squidoo merger for established Hubbers. That must be taxing somewhat with managing the Squidoo account especially if moving them as necessary to multiple accounts as you have for Niche Topics.

Your input offers great food for thought for developing my next steps in the coming months. BTW what is your thoughts of after opening a 'Niche Topic' account publishing the first articles seeking passing the QAP, becoming featured, and other requirements for a new account? For instance would it be best to write 5 - 10 articles and publish one a day contrast spread them out over a longer period?

Again, thank you Mattforte :-)

8. profile image53
    tpocainposted 8 years ago

I thought I would end up with two accounts because when I tried to log in two years ago, it said that I had to register again. I had an account from a few years before with a few hubs and now it's gone. What happened?

9. LindaSmith1 profile image60
    LindaSmith1posted 8 years ago

Once every 99 years or so, HP may delete old accounts that have had no activity for awhile and take all earnings with them.  It is in their TOS.

Scroll down to Account Closure and Inactivity
    http://hubpages.com/help/user_agreement

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)