Does Caitlyn Jenner qualify for the Arthur Ashe award?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)
  1. rhamson profile image72
    rhamsonposted 8 years ago

How is it an award is now justified for courage about coming out with ones gender identification? Arthur Ashe was a terribly private man and when faced with exposure by the press of his health he told the public. He caught a disease he never would have imagined would afflict him. Caitlyn Jenner has chosen to expose herself what has nothing to do with Ashes courage of facing death and shame . How do they compare?

1. colorfulone profile image78
      colorfuloneposted 8 years agoin reply to this

No, I do not believe Bruce Jenner as Caitlyn should ever even been considered for the Arthur Ashe award.  I agree with what Franklin Graham had to say about it publicly.

I read the very interesting article that SmartAndFun shared a link to here http://hubpages.com/forum/post/2751530 .  I agree on the Autogynephilia with Michael Bailey.

2. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 8 years ago

Both initially became famous for sport and used that fame to advance civil rights issues and compassionate behavior.  I see a very clear parallel between how people with HIV were treated then and how transgender people are treated now, and how celebrities can work to change this.

rhamsonposted 8 years agoin reply to this

How can you compare catching HIV from a blood transfusion to someone declaring to the world they are transgender. Why is it that this country now has the need appreciate someone proclaiming to the world what sex they want to be? It used to be something that was held in private and for only close friends and family to discuss and deal with. Now we have to have awards to "honor" this?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Because, as has been comprehensively proven, that gender identity is not a matter of choice.  Not that I need science to tell me that I could not just get up one morning and willfully "decide" to be a male the same way I decide what to wear.

Maybe you should listen to her acceptance speech and learn more about transgender people and their struggles.  Honestly, no one would choose to go through the kind of crap transgender people have to experience.

What should b a "private thing" is your prejudice.

I knew you would throw this into a "choice" realm and I won't argue that with you. I don't believe we have a choice about who we are. As far as a prejudice that is a stretch as well. I am arguing the award. Whatever her struggle is it will never be okay with everyone so why the award? What has she achieved? Courage? What of the poor person who rises from poverty? Is that courage? What of the prisoner who goes against the grain and becomes a solid citizen? Is that courage? Where are the awards for that? Professing to the world your sexuality is far from that and what Artur Ashe had to deal with in the face of his ensuing death. To face death with dignity has nothing to do with outing yourself as transgender.

2. SmartAndFun profile image94
          SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Psycheskinner, I am curious about your professional opinion of autogynephilia. I came across this term while reading about Bruce Jenner, and it appears that it certainly could apply to his situation. According to the article, men who are autogynephiles seek transition not because they are "women trapped in a man's body" but because they have a sexual fetish for seeing themselves as women. The article says these transsexuals are typically heterosexual men who are not effeminate; they often have spouses and children and experience no homosexual attraction. They tend to seek to transition later in life as their fetish builds and progresses over the years. They remain heterosexual after their transition.

In contrast, males who are very effeminate and have been all their lives, and yearn to be female from a very young age, are typically homosexuals and remain attracted to men once they transition.

According to the article, men who seek transition fall into one of these two categories and there is little overlap.

I had never heard of this before. As a psychologist, what is your opinion of autogynephilia? If it is a real condition, I wonder why it is not being brought up in the media? It does seem like it could very well apply to Bruce/Caitlyn.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/warrenthro … el-bailey/

3. Chriswillman90 profile image92
    Chriswillman90posted 8 years ago

It's a very controversial decision, but I'm not against it. The courage and struggle is definitely there and it's takes bravery to do what Caitlyn Jenner did.

4. Aime F profile image71
    Aime Fposted 8 years ago

Look up some statistics on hate crimes against transgendered youth and how it affects them (depression and suicide is alarmingly common among transgendered youth).

I think it's incredibly courageous to come out as a transgendered person when you're in the public eye, especially as an athlete. The reception has been far from unanimously warm and I've heard/seen so many hateful and disgusting comments directed at Caitlyn over her decision. Those same comments are directed at thousands of other transgendered people across the world.

You're right, we shouldn't care about someone's sexuality. We should be able to look at people like Caitlyn Jenner and say "hey, cool, she's happy, good for her." But not everyone is there yet. Not even close. And that's the point.

" But not everyone is there yet. Not even close. And that's the point."

Who cares is my thoughts as though "everyone" will ever be "there". The world is a big place and there are just as many attitudes, ideas and judgements that nobody can control. This is a private thing and should remain so. Jenner started out as the world's greatest athlete, became a reality TV buffoon and now this? What next and will there be an award for it?

5. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

I truly wish that  the advances in same sex or weird- ness  - freedoms as gained in the last few years will one day arrive  at  the normalcy of "don't ask don't tell" mentality , meaning .....I Don;'t Care and No One Else Does  Either !.......... if  people have to "come out '    , Just Do  It and go away !   No he doesn't deserve all the twisted media attention anyway !  Get lost Brucie.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Its so ridiculous, I can't stand it myself. I mean we see his attractive image on the cover of whatever rag it is… and sure enough he has feminine sex appeal.
      SO WHAT?

6. profile image0
    ahorsebackposted 8 years ago

Sexual preference , , same sex marriage ,  cross gender choices . All personal decisions  that the media is playing the hell out of in hysterics and  sensationalistic  frenzy .    There is far too much- "noise " - from such a small piece of the spectrum!    My point , if the gay community is  perhaps  5-or  10 % of our culture , stop giving them fourty percent of primetime attention .

This is the typical media deflection of the news towards things that don't matter to disguise what is the real news. How are the TPP negotiations going with the other 10 countries meeting over the deal? What of Afghanistan? How many troops remain and is it all quiet of are there more battles going on? What about the trade deficit and how is it being managed? None of these issues are as much fun or easier to sell copy. You see it is so much easier to get people to vilify or praise one person which deflects and grabs the attention rather than concentrate on the issues that affect everybody.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
        Kathryn L Hillposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Bruce Jenner for dumbing us all down for the sake of your battle with your wife … whoops ...

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)